http://www.hipgirlclips.com/store/images/mini-pinwheel-bow-snap-clips-22pc.jpg
New product--3' everyday (pinwheel) hair bow/hairbow clips

New products--grosgrain ribbon mini bows
http://www.hipgirlclips.com/affiliate_alt_ads/peony-hair-flower-clips-red-ad.jpg
New product--Silk Geraniums

Go Back   Hip Girl Boutique Free Hair Bow Instructions--Learn how to make hairbows and hair clips, FREE! > Ribbon and Bows > How to make...

How to make... Hairbows, hair clips, bottlecaps, ribbon shirts, flip flop...

Old 08-06-2010, 07:53

Default Re: What to use wood burner on?

If you have a Hobby Lobby near you, try looking along the walls near the frames for glass, I think it must be for tabletops or something, I can't honestly remember what they called it.

Anyway, they sometimes sell the damaged ones, they come in a few different sizes with a steep discount. The biggest size they had in the store went from $49.99 to $17.99.

Most of what I saw just had tape residue on it, or maybe a scratch here or there. Some had a small chip, none of it was cracked or broken though. I think it would be great for a woodburner, the edges are already smoothed out and it's nice and thick.
Sponsored Links
http://www.hipgirlclips.com/store/images/large/portrait-editing-ads-700.jpg
Old 08-06-2010, 07:59

We don't have anything like a Hobby Lobby or Michaels over in Aus. We have two big craft store chains, Spotlight and Lindcraft but even both of them are reasonbly crappy. lol
Old 08-07-2010, 11:42

I got my 10 x 14 glass from a picture frame I bought from the thrift store for 15 cents! I lay my measuring tape under it for now, until i get time to print off a ruler off the computer to use under it! Definatly gonna try the coffee mug idea outl! I am constantly knocking my wood-burning tool over onto the floor!
Old 08-08-2010, 12:22

Probably dumb question but what do you use a woodburner for? To burn the edges of the ribbon? I use a lighter.
Old 08-08-2010, 02:50

Quote:
Originally Posted by bowsorknot View Post
Probably dumb question but what do you use a woodburner for? To burn the edges of the ribbon? I use a lighter.
the wood-burning tool is used to cut and seal the ribbon at the same time! When I used the scissors and lighter method, it took more time, plus I singed ALOT of my ribbon. with the wood-burning tool, I don't have that problem anymore! Its faster for me too! If you get a chance to try it out, go for it!
Old 08-08-2010, 03:11

Quote:
Originally Posted by brezzamagoo View Post
We don't have anything like a Hobby Lobby or Michaels over in Aus. We have two big craft store chains, Spotlight and Lindcraft but even both of them are reasonbly crappy. lol
Oh no, sorry I didn't realize you were in Australia! I use picture frame glass atm, I don't want to buy a huge table top piece of glass and have to move it in 6 weeks.

Great tip about the tape and mug! I'm scared of my woodburner lol. And I have had it slip off the table more than once, I felt chilled to the bone I was so freaked out! I'm getting better, but knowing the cord won't be pulling it down would make me feel more at ease. And the coffee mug to rest it in too. Thanks for sharing!
Old 08-08-2010, 03:29

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunshineFl View Post
I also use a small cookie sheet (got at the dollar store) so it doesn't take up too much of my work space. I also tape my wood burner stand to my work table with blue painters tape so it doesn't roll off on the carpet (again! ).
hehe I just did this the other day....oops. I use to use a coffee mug but it can tip over so maybe I'll try taping my cord too.
My entire table has a large glass top that I put a quilters cutting matt underneath and then I have a small 6" ruler I use to cut with and keep the cuts straight!

Before I got the glass top I used a piece of glass from a picture frame:-)
Old 08-08-2010, 03:31

oops wrong thread lol
Old 08-10-2010, 09:28

The coffee mug idea is awesome!! along with the tape, Ive burned holes in a couple of pants etc. Thanks
Old 08-10-2010, 10:43

Where has everyone bought their wood burner from? I bought mine at hobby lobby, used it one day and it burned out maybe it was just a bad one. I found a glass plate that is used to go under candles in the clearance/damage section of hobby lobby bc it had tape residue on it for 2.99 and its 12x12!

Thanks

katsbowtique.com
Sponsored Links