Ribbon Slides--for 3/8' Ribbons 10pc 1/4' Birch Wood Dowel Rods For Korkers 20pc Glue Stick For Hair Bows, Hair Clips, Crafts Wood Burning Tool With 4 Tips--For Sealing Ribbon Ends French Barrettes-Silver 40pc Pastel Goody Ouchless No Metal Small Pony'Os-3.5',2MM Thick http://www.hipgirlclips.com/store/images/tulle-tutu-orchid.jpg 6pc 1.75' Satin Rose for Scrapbooking, Hair Clips, Wedding-Combo mini-bow-tie-diy-bows-grosgrain-ribbon
http://www.hipgirlclips.com/affiliate_alt_ads/my_ads/hip-girl-boutique-llc-twitter-100.jpg

Go Back   Hip Girl Boutique Free Hair Bow Instructions--Learn how to make hairbows and hair clips, FREE! > Ribbon and Bows > How to make...

How to make... Hairbows, hair clips, bottlecaps, ribbon shirts, flip flop...

Old 03-24-2008, 01:03

Default Hair accessories complimentary for afros?

I am making various hair items for a photoshoot that is on Thursday. I have a beautiful 3 yo (or 4 yo?) girl with an afro. I really want to make something that is dazzling in her hair.

Any ideas?
Sponsored Links

Old 03-24-2008, 08:28

Default Re: Hair accessories complimentary for afros?

I would go with a lightweight blingy something or other. One of the girls I used to watch (and still do occasionally) has that sort of style and big bows would weigh it down I think. If only the top half of an alligator clip is lined, it should still slide in.

If all else fails, ask the mom what kinds of clips work in her hair ... although now I think about it, the mom for 'my' little girl never even thought of hair accessories until I brought up the subject.

Good luck with the shoot and let us know how it goes!
Old 03-24-2008, 09:39

It depends on how she is going to wear her hair. If she wears the front pulled flat, and the back out in an afro I would reccommend a bigger center bow in a contrasting color from her hair. If she wears it all out I would opt for little snap clips and just put them in like 4 or 6 different pieces of hair close to her hair line, framing her face.
Old 03-24-2008, 10:16

I have had alot of requests for snap clips-

Also I don't remember her name in here.. but in her avatar she has a beautiful young lady that has a large bow. Her hair is pulled back- and then the bow (I think) is for the pony tail part.
Old 03-24-2008, 12:10

My DD has a small curly afro (see below) and when I leave it out I take a small bit of hair from the front and twist it so it has some thickness and clip it with a french barrette. I don't like the snap clips on loose hair. If you had it in a ponytail it would probably work. Make sure it is a nice size but not too big if the hair is loose. HTH!

If Momma ain't happy, nobody's happy!
Old 03-24-2008, 01:41

My daughter wears her hair in afro puffs (either one or or two) all of the time. With her puffs, BIG bows look great on her. Her hair is thick enough and sturdy enough in the puff that weight is not an issue for her. Brighter colors work the best. Colors like black, navy, dark royal, darker greens, brown... etc... don't pop because they tend to look more like her hair instead of an accessory (if that makes sense). Small bows work well too (I just love a BIG bow, tho!!). Without puffs, if you use 2 clippies with bright bling to pull back the afro on both sides, I think that would be very cute. Also a medium basic bow on the side (light color) would be nice too.
Old 03-24-2008, 02:05

Hippy Chick! You are the person I was talking about earlier. The bows on your daughters head are amazing. I knew I had seen the larger bows in someone's avatar.
Old 03-24-2008, 02:09

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amber427 View Post
Hippy Chick! You are the person I was talking about earlier. The bows on your daughters head are amazing. I knew I had seen the larger bows in someone's avatar.
Thanks!
Old 03-24-2008, 05:10

HippyChick is my IDOL ! I am waiting for my DD to get enough hair to get one ponytail so I can put the BIG ones in her hair. You can't tell in the photo but the back is just peach fuzz! I have some big ones just waiting in the wings.

If Momma ain't happy, nobody's happy!
Old 03-24-2008, 05:29

Quote:
Originally Posted by missjasmin View Post
HippyChick is my IDOL ! I am waiting for my DD to get enough hair to get one ponytail so I can put the BIG ones in her hair. You can't tell in the photo but the back is just peach fuzz! I have some big ones just waiting in the wings.
LOL. I know about waiting for ponytail length!!! Here is DD when she was 6 months old. I started her out with a big flower!!!

Last edited by hippychick; 05-03-2008 at 08:00.
Sponsored Links
http://www.hipgirlclips.com/affiliate_alt_ads/whimsydoodlegraphics.gif