New products--alligator clips with teeth
Free bottle cap tutorial/instructions--sealing bottle caps
New products--3' star grosgrain ribbon
http://www.hipgirlclips.com/store/images/40yd-solid-grosgrain-ribbon-combo.jpg
New products--hip scottie III
http://www.hipgirlclips.com/store/images/24pc-inter-daisy-hb-cmb.jpg

Go Back   Hip Girl Boutique Free Hair Bow Instructions--Learn how to make hairbows and hair clips, FREE! > Ribbon and Bows > How to make...

How to make... Hairbows, hair clips, bottlecaps, ribbon shirts, flip flop...

Old 03-23-2008, 09:17

Default Hot glue dramas!

I've just started making some hairclips for my daughter and have been lining alligator clips and snap clips with ribbon.

My problem is when I'm putting the hot glue on the clip, I end up with "blobs" of glue that are then seen and felt under the ribbon. I've tried spreading the glue with a toothpick but then the toothpick gets stuck and it ends up really messy!!

Am I doing this wrong or will this get easier with practice? Does everyone line the clips with hot glue?

Any tips would be appreciated!

Thanks,
Tennille
Sponsored Links
http://www.hipgirlclips.com/affiliate_alt_ads/jewelboxballerina-300.jpg
Old 03-23-2008, 09:20

Default Re: Hot glue dramas!

I just let the glue gun ooze- and it seems to release the amount I need. Sometimes I use the tip of the gun to help spread the glue too. Oh- and as soon as I put the glue on- I lay the ribbon over then smooth it with my finger. The excess will use out- and I wipe that with my finger. (The glue doesn't bother my fingers anymore)
Old 03-23-2008, 10:07

I use fabric tac or quick glue for that very reason, not to mention that crap hurts when it lands on you!!!!!
Old 03-23-2008, 10:20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amber427 View Post
I just let the glue gun ooze- and it seems to release the amount I need. Sometimes I use the tip of the gun to help spread the glue too. Oh- and as soon as I put the glue on- I lay the ribbon over then smooth it with my finger. The excess will use out- and I wipe that with my finger. (The glue doesn't bother my fingers anymore)
This sounds like what I do too. It is pretty immediate that I squeeze the ribbon around the clip. And I use a LOW temp glue gun. REALLY makes a difference.
Old 03-23-2008, 10:22

fabritac is good for no bumps, I think it takes longer though. I use hot glue. I glue about a half inch on the ribbon and smooth it out with the tip of the glue gun and thats for the bottom part, I then do the hinge part with smoothing the glue on the ribbon first and then I do the top and then the inside. I hope you understand all that, it definantely takes some practice.
Old 03-23-2008, 10:25

I just started this as well and foud that if you can spread the glue with the tip of the glue gun. You can almost flaten it out with it, just make sure you don't put too much on. HTH
Old 03-24-2008, 12:51

I've had some issues as well - thanks for posting the question and thanks to all the helpful repliers! (Is 'repliers' a word lol)
Old 03-24-2008, 05:06

Just wanted to say a huge thanks for all the quick replies! I can see this place is really going to help me.

I'll keep trying with the hot glue using those tips and see if I can get some fabric tac to try that as well.

I'm sure I'm going to have heaps more questions, so thanks so much!

Tennille
Old 03-24-2008, 08:31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Littlepinkladybug View Post
This sounds like what I do too. It is pretty immediate that I squeeze the ribbon around the clip. And I use a LOW temp glue gun. REALLY makes a difference.
I third that option! It's quick, doesn't hurt at all (the hot part is under the ribbon and it's pretty cool by the time you squish it out the sides), and squishing it makes it flat.

I also like how it usually seals the edges of the ribbon together. Keep practicing! Only time will get you used to your glue gun and exactly how much time and pressure it takes to perfectly dispense glue for lining a clip. You'll get used to it in time.
Old 03-24-2008, 08:57

Definitely Fabric Tac and E6000. The only problem with those two is that some ppl doesn't like the fumes.

I prefer using High Temp glue than Low Temp. But I *retired* the glue gun on clippies as I'm only using the 2 abovementioned glues

I'm not all that. I just like the last part.
Sponsored Links
http://www.hipgirlclips.com/affiliate_alt_ads/whimsydoodlegraphics.gif