http://www.hipgirlclips.com/store/images/medium/disney-minnie-mickey-mouse-ribbon-52yd-store.jpg zebra grosgrain ribbon-new colors http://www.hipgirlclips.com/store/images/medium/20pc-1.5in-petal-flower-clips-cm.jpg http://www.hipgirlclips.com/store/images/medium/3-8-frog-grosgrain-ribbon.jpg cheetah animal prints grosgrain ribbon grosgrain ribbon korkers
HipGirl 12pc Grosgrain Ribbon Wrapped 1/2" Headbands + Matching Large Hair Bow Alligator Clips. Interchangable Assorted Fashion Accessory for Girl Women Teen Kid Toddler Children Adult

Go Back   Hip Girl Boutique Free Hair Bow Instructions--Learn how to make hairbows and hair clips, FREE! > Ribbon and Bows > How to make...

How to make... Hairbows, hair clips, bottlecaps, ribbon shirts, flip flop...

Old 08-01-2010, 10:44

Default Water and Glue?

Has anyone else ever had this happen...

One of my friends bought some of my clippies and said that her 2 yo took them in the bath and now the ribbon has come off and the clips are rusted.

I use a quick drying fabric glue so I don't know why the ribbon should have come off the clip unless the 2yo got it wet and then decided to pull the ribbon off??

Plus this must have only happened recently as she only just told me today and I wouldn't think the clips would rust that quickly. Seems a bit strange.

Hot glue just doesn't work for me and I was using my E6000 at the beginning but I found it didn't adhere to the ribbon as well as this glue that I am using. I do know if you pick at the clips long enough yes they will come apart but I wouldn't expect it to come off after being wet.
Sponsored Links

Old 08-01-2010, 11:10

Default Re: Water and Glue?

i only use hot glue but i did wash one of my daughters bows and i noticed the clip got rusty it could have been the bleach i put in the wash. (it was a white bow) I even ran it through the drier i forgot it was in there but the ribbon stayed on the clip.
Old 08-01-2010, 11:32

Ok thanks for that. I do find it weird the ribbon came off because fabric glue you would expect to stay in tact with getting wet. I think she may have yanked at it a bit.
Old 08-02-2010, 01:44

i think it may have been yanked my dd pulled one of her clips apart a bit the other day.
Old 08-02-2010, 01:53

What fabric glue do you use???
I am hopeless with a hot glue gun and end up with it everywhere.
I use some glue called Tiger something or other from Spotlight when lining my clips.
Old 08-02-2010, 04:33

I use one from Helmar...it's called 450 Quick Drying Adhesive for pretty much everything.
Old 08-02-2010, 06:45

I have put so many of my girls clips through the washing machine and they have never fallen apart, although strangely enough I had a friend tell me the other day that her daughters clip, 'just fell apart' - uh yeah right!
I would put money on it that she pulled it apart!
Old 08-02-2010, 07:25

I can't count the number of times that my girls bows have been washed and dried, or drowned in a bathtub, or jumped in a lake with.....They always wear 'em and most of the time I forget about them. Never had a problem with them falling apart or rusting. I use hot glue, but I also sew them.
Old 08-02-2010, 09:01

Quote:
Originally Posted by beck83 View Post
I have put so many of my girls clips through the washing machine and they have never fallen apart, although strangely enough I had a friend tell me the other day that her daughters clip, 'just fell apart' - uh yeah right!
I would put money on it that she pulled it apart!

Maybe I should throw one in the washing machine just to test it out LOL

I know the clips aren't fully kid proof, I don't think anything ever is but I can't see it 'just' falling apart. Mind you it was her husband home at the time so he probably told her that lol
Old 08-02-2010, 03:12

I too throw my daughters hair bows in the wash all the time and have never had a problem with them coming apart. I use hot glue and sew a little bit.

You could do a test just to make yourself feel better. I actually tried to take one of my bows apart one day because I added a wrong color surrounding and couldnt so I know for sure mine will not come apart even if I wanted them too! LOL! Also, I would think the clip would eventually rust, but it would take a REALLY long time.
Sponsored Links
http://www.hipgirlclips.com/affiliate_alt_ads/jewelboxballerina-300.jpg