Go Back   Hip Girl Boutique Free Hair Bow Instructions--Learn how to make hairbows and hair clips, FREE! > Ribbon and Bows > How to make...

How to make... Hairbows, hair clips, bottlecaps, ribbon shirts, flip flop...

Old 03-21-2008, 10:02
Default Question about Tutu dress making

Question for no-sew tutu ....

I am thinking of make tutu dress (possibly the halter dress type) for my daughter 1st birthday. I try to make something that she can wear for years to come too (later on.. might just be tutu skirt). :P

Anyway, my questions are:

- How wide of the strip should I cut for good full puffiness? I bought the 6 inches width spool. Can I just use 6" or cut it in 3" or so? If I can use 6" one, it would save a lot of time.

- For elastic, what size should I use? Is something like 3/8" good, or the bigger one is better? Is there any specific type I should use, or anything would be okay? (I bought one yesterday but I did not know what I was doing)

- For the ribbons wrapping around the waist band, how do you do it?

- For the prettiest fullness, is there any good advice? How about, putting a couple of strips together and knot at the same time?

Thanks !!
Sponsored Links
Old 03-21-2008, 11:28
Default Re: Question about Tutu dress making

I do the strips 3 inches, but a lot of people do the full 6. I think the elastic I use is about an inch. For the ribbon you just wrap it in between each strip. Yes you could put two strips together to make it fuller. HTH
Old 03-22-2008, 12:24

I usually use the 6 inch strips, unless I have to buy off the bolt then I may cut to up to 9 inch. I usually use 3/4 non roll elastic, but have started using the elastic headbands and have great luck with those too. I like the way it looks when you tie them individually. I'm waiting for a day where the wind isn't gusting at 50 mph to get out and take pictures of Syd's newest tutu.

and in the end, the love you take... is equal to the love you make
Old 03-23-2008, 09:13

I use 3/4 non roll also and I cut off the bolt I do 6 inch pieces and I do two together I have not made a dress yet it is on mylist one day when iam not so busy
Old 03-23-2008, 09:33

I haven't done a dress yet either, but want to. No-Roll elastic is essential to me. I get about 3/4". Also-- I do it in 6 inch wide strips. see the thread on here about the tulle cutting tip (wrapping it around a cokkie sheet ) for speedy cutting! I coulnd't believe how much time it saved!! Also-- I like them knotted with two strands in it, make it much fuller and prettier!!! Good Luck!!
Cindy - Wife to Eric (5/28/2004)
Mommy to Adrianna Grace (6/10/2005)
and Gevin Zane (12/21/2008)
Sponsored Links