http://www.hipgirlclips.com/store/images/7-8-50yd-grosgrain-animal-print-combo-103114.jpg
New product--1' circle punch/paper shaper for bottle cap picture
New products--Ribbon wrapped 50mm snap clips
http://www.hipgirlclips.com/store/images/120pc-2.5-korker-assorted-.JPG

turtle embellishments--ribbon sculpture

skull rockabilly grosgrain ribbon

braided headband base

Go Back   Hip Girl Boutique Free Hair Bow Instructions--Learn how to make hairbows and hair clips, FREE! > Ribbon and Bows > How to make...

How to make... Hairbows, hair clips, bottlecaps, ribbon shirts, flip flop...

Old 09-17-2007, 03:58

Default Magnetic hairbows??

Does anyone know anything about these?? I tried and failed miserably. I had that rolled up magentic stuff that is a peel and stick deal. I cut it down to size and glued it to the clip and covered it with grosgrain ribbon. It did nothing, it didn't even have any resistance in the clip at all. I would like to learn more about these.
Old 09-17-2007, 08:53

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbland View Post
Does anyone know anything about these?? I tried and failed miserably. I had that rolled up magentic stuff that is a peel and stick deal. I cut it down to size and glued it to the clip and covered it with grosgrain ribbon. It did nothing, it didn't even have any resistance in the clip at all. I would like to learn more about these.
where can you get the rolled up magnetic stuff?
Old 09-17-2007, 10:10

I bought it from Wal-Mart, in the craft section.

Last edited by mbland; 09-17-2007 at 10:17.
Old 09-17-2007, 10:25

Thanks for responding to me. I got to searching for small round magnets and read all the horror stories of small children ingesting them and if they swallowed to it could attract to each other and be fatal. I think I will stick w/ my no-slip grips and maybe offer a velvet coated clip bow also w/o the magnets w/ no-slip grips in place. That is one thing I don't want to have to worry about when I sell hairbows is causing injury to a child. Thanks for helping me!!
Old 09-18-2007, 02:14

What started my obsession with making bows was when I bought my first 'no slippy hair clippy'. When I started making them I looked for the magnets too. Honestly, the magnet does nothing. What makes the difference is the velvet. If you fully line a 2 prong clip it will stay in the hair NO PROBLEM, but its rather bulky on small heads with short hair.

After some trial and error, I now partially line a single prong clip with 4.25" of 1/4" velvet ribbon. You can find the velvet at The Ribbon Retreat. Its $15 for 30 yards.. so I think it works out to you being able to make 250 clips, or something like that. But you have to purchase it on the wholesale site. I think the partial lining works great. I would put the grosgrain partial (and fully lined) clip in my daughter's hair and it would come out, but with the velvet it stays great, and its not as bulky.

If you want to fully line a 2 prong clip, then I use 6 7/8 " of 3/8" velvet.

Hope that helps.
Old 09-18-2007, 10:08

Thanks so much!! I am on my way to buy some velvet!!
Old 09-20-2007, 02:56

The magnents on the the 'no slippy' clip are glued on really well. I forgot to post earlier that another thing I think the magnent does is even out the clip. If you look at a 2 prong or 1 prong clip from the side, you'll see that the tip closes perfectly, but towards the base, near the part you 'pinch' there is space. By adding the thicker magnent, it makes the clip completely close evenly. Resulting in a better grip on the hair. Usually if a clip comes out of the hair, its because its not grabbing the hair evenly, but only partly, so its easier for the hair to slide out.

Again, there's so scientific proof of this, but something I've just observed on my own. So maybe its true, but maybe not.

(again, just lining with velvet will 'even it out'.)
Old 11-23-2008, 01:36

Default Re: Magnetic hairbows??

Please click one of the Quick Reply icons in the posts above to activate Quick Reply.
Sponsored Links