http://www.hipgirlclips.com/store/images/7-8-50yd-grosgrain-animal-print-combo-103114.jpg
New product--1' circle punch/paper shaper for bottle cap picture
New products--Ribbon wrapped 50mm snap clips
http://www.hipgirlclips.com/store/images/120pc-2.5-korker-assorted-.JPG

turtle embellishments--ribbon sculpture

skull rockabilly grosgrain ribbon

braided headband base

Go Back   Hip Girl Boutique Free Hair Bow Instructions--Learn how to make hairbows and hair clips, FREE! > Ribbon and Bows > How to make...

How to make... Hairbows, hair clips, bottlecaps, ribbon shirts, flip flop...

Old 07-24-2010, 02:53

Default Sewing Korkers

I know that has been asked many of times, but I just can't get them right. I've made a few korkers, all with sewing method, and only my very first has turned out cute. This is what I do: I get a long needle and I start putting each korker on the needle by going thru the middle of the korker with the curl side down. When I have them all stacked on there I pull the needle thru and grab my gator bite and put it in there so I can sew thru again. Once I've sewn 3 to 4 times, I tie off. My issue with them is that 1- I can see in the middle where I sew it & 2- it looks kind of lop sided, like the ribbon is longer on one side than the other. KWIM?

What am I doing wrong? Is the middle showing because I hold it down with the gator bite? Am I supposed to put the korker with the curl side up?

I have to make some shortly with school colors before school starts for a fundraiser. Any help would be appreciated!

TIA!
Kristie
Sponsored Links
Old 07-24-2010, 03:21

Default Re: Sewing Korkers

I usually do curl side up & have never used my gator bite to do them. I just kinda pinch the middle together once I've pulled them off the needle & hold the center of all the korks together with my fingers while I stitch through it a couple of time. I can't see my middle unless I'm really looking for it.

These were sewn and I don't think you can see the middle. Oh and if you put each piece on through the center you really can't end up with lopsided pieces - that's why I love sewing them!!
http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pi...d=174188454194
Old 07-24-2010, 05:45

I usually do mine curl up too...although I've tried curl down i think it looks better up. i don't use a clip either. If you have a hard time with the lopsided maybe try measuring and marking the center where you want to put the needle before you put start?
Old 07-24-2010, 05:45

and i agree sewing looks best
Old 07-24-2010, 07:34

I have NO idea whether I do mine curl up or down...I don't even know what that means lol

But I sew mine as well, looks so much nicer than tying them. I just sew up through the middle and pull each korker piece down into the knot etc Then when I have finished I put my 'pointer' finger on the bottom where the knot is and my thumb on top where the thread is coming out and kinda hold it together. Then while I'm doing this I thread the needle back down (not sure if I get every piece) and then use the tail from the knot and left over thread and tie a double knot! Voila!

Hope that wasn't too confusing.
Old 07-24-2010, 07:50

are your stitches very small and close? I know it takes a while to get the technique that works bst for you. I poke my needle through the curl and then there is a twist of ribbon on either side of the needle for each piece. I think that means twist up
Old 07-25-2010, 04:14

If that means twist up then I sew my korkers twist up! haha
Old 07-28-2010, 03:06

I'm very new to the forum & I've never made a korker but am dying to try it.. so pardon me if the question has been answered several times already, buuuuut....

how do you attatch a clip to a korker?? =/

Thanks!
Old 07-28-2010, 09:26

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdriannasMommy View Post
I'm very new to the forum & I've never made a korker but am dying to try it.. so pardon me if the question has been answered several times already, buuuuut....

how do you attatch a clip to a korker?? =/

Thanks!
I have a lined alligator clip matching one of the colours in the korker and basically put a blob of glue on the bottom of the korker and press it against the clip LOL I hold it for about a minute or so until it has grabbed then set it aside to dry overnight. I use a quick drying fabric glue.
Sponsored Links