Ribbon Slides--for 3/8' Ribbons 10pc 1/4' Birch Wood Dowel Rods For Korkers 20pc Glue Stick For Hair Bows, Hair Clips, Crafts Wood Burning Tool With 4 Tips--For Sealing Ribbon Ends French Barrettes-Silver 40pc Pastel Goody Ouchless No Metal Small Pony'Os-3.5',2MM Thick http://www.hipgirlclips.com/store/images/tulle-tutu-orchid.jpg 6pc 1.75' Satin Rose for Scrapbooking, Hair Clips, Wedding-Combo mini-bow-tie-diy-bows-grosgrain-ribbon
http://www.hipgirlclips.com/affiliate_alt_ads/my_ads/hip-girl-boutique-llc-twitter-100.jpg

Go Back   Hip Girl Boutique Free Hair Bow Instructions--Learn how to make hairbows and hair clips, FREE! > Ribbon and Bows > How to make...

How to make... Hairbows, hair clips, bottlecaps, ribbon shirts, flip flop...

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 07-18-2010, 10:38
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Georgia
Posts: 1,392
Default I feel so defeated......

With bottlecaps!!!! I have tried doing bottlecaps now two nights in a row. The first night, all the bottlecaps had lots of bubbles in them. I use an old Xyron sticker maker that I got years ago. It has two different cartridges that you can use. A temporary cartridge and a permanent one. I use the permanent. All I do is put the images through the machine, place on the bottlecaps, and pour on the et lite. I watched those suckers like a hawk last night!!! They turned out decent.....UNTIL....the images started lifting off the bottlecaps. I can completely just pull them right off!!! Is there any saving them or are they just done?? And what can I do differently next time so that the images won't lift?? Thanks ladies!!!
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
  #2 (permalink)  
Old 07-18-2010, 10:45
justjoan's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: west michigan!
Posts: 2,944
Default Re: I feel so defeated......

I've just started these, too. I don't have the sticker maker, so I just modge podged the image to the cap and then modge podged again over the image.

Once dry, I pour the et lite over them. After a few minutes (like maybe 5) I use a straw to blow the bubbles away. Be careful, though, it doesn't take much to blow the bubbles away! If you do it too hard, you'll blow the et lite right out of the cap. (Don't ask me how I know this!) I move the straw around in a circular motion around the cap...it's funny how they just disappear!

hope that helps some...I don't know what to tell you about the stickers
__________________
Joan

ISO: manners
Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old 07-18-2010, 10:55
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Georgia
Posts: 1,392
Default Re: I feel so defeated......

I tried blowing through the straw on the first batch and they still ended up with tons of bubbles!!! I like using the lighter to get the bubbles out. I had all the bubbles out on the last batch, but then I put them in the oven to get them to dry and a few little bubbles appeared in most of the caps. I guess i'll try mod podge next time. Thank you!
Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old 07-18-2010, 11:15
taxiof2's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Sunny South Florida
Posts: 686
Default Re: I feel so defeated......

I feel your pain! I did the same thing once...I thought I got all the bubbles out so I put them in the oven to speed the process only to discover MORE bubbles in the am. I then found out that you can't put them in the oven until they are almost hard.

I am assuming that you are putting the images on the regular style bottle caps and not flattened ones. I had a problem with the regular bottle caps because it is hard (for me anyways) to get the edges covered with ET. Maybe one of the other ladies on here (who is an expert) can help with that problem. I would think if it is not completely covered around the edges, it will lift.

I use the flattened (so much easier) because you can put the image down and FILL the cup up. I have used the sticker machine which is easier but then started using the mounting adhesive sheets that someone on her recommended. It seems to work well on the flattened bottle caps. It's harder on the regular because you have to really work on getting it just right on the cap.
Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old 07-18-2010, 11:26
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Georgia
Posts: 1,392
Default Re: I feel so defeated......

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxiof2 View Post
I feel your pain! I did the same thing once...I thought I got all the bubbles out so I put them in the oven to speed the process only to discover MORE bubbles in the am. I then found out that you can't put them in the oven until they are almost hard.

I am assuming that you are putting the images on the regular style bottle caps and not flattened ones. I had a problem with the regular bottle caps because it is hard (for me anyways) to get the edges covered with ET. Maybe one of the other ladies on here (who is an expert) can help with that problem. I would think if it is not completely covered around the edges, it will lift.

I use the flattened (so much easier) because you can put the image down and FILL the cup up. I have used the sticker machine which is easier but then started using the mounting adhesive sheets that someone on her recommended. It seems to work well on the flattened bottle caps. It's harder on the regular because you have to really work on getting it just right on the cap.
I tried to get over the edges the best I could, but i'm pretty sure not good enough. I would love for someone to tell me a good way. And yes, I just use the regular caps, not the flattened ones.
Reply With Quote
  #6 (permalink)  
Old 07-18-2010, 11:31
peggy's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Kansas City, Mo.
Posts: 280
Default Re: I feel so defeated......

I use reg. bottle caps, and put the image on them with the therm o web. I also use rio grand.
Reply With Quote
  #7 (permalink)  
Old 07-18-2010, 11:44
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 277
Default Re: I feel so defeated......

Was the Xyron insert old? Maybe try again with a fresh cartridge. You can also try wiping the caps first with rubbing alcohol. Some caps have a little oily residue from the manufacturing process. I've never had images come off using my Xyron, so I'm not sure other than those things.
__________________
Boutique Bottle Cap, Scrabble Tile and Glass Tile Images

Reply With Quote
  #8 (permalink)  
Old 07-18-2010, 11:52
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Georgia
Posts: 1,392
Default Re: I feel so defeated......

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnolia View Post
Was the Xyron insert old? Maybe try again with a fresh cartridge. You can also try wiping the caps first with rubbing alcohol. Some caps have a little oily residue from the manufacturing process. I've never had images come off using my Xyron, so I'm not sure other than those things.
Thank you!!! I think i'm done with the Xyron! lol I'm gonna try mod podge instead and see how that works. But i'll definitely try wiping the caps with the alcohol first. Thanks for the tip.
Reply With Quote
  #9 (permalink)  
Old 07-18-2010, 12:55
designsbycristi's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 970
Default Re: I feel so defeated......

No no, don't be done with the Xyron. It is your friend. Chances are that you just need a new cartridge. If your using one that is old, the sticky stuff will diminish over time. Try getting a new cartridge before giving up. Also, a lighter is the best thing to blow the bubles out with. I use a wind resistant lighter so the flame doesn't go all over the place. Most ladies do not put the ET over the edge of the cap/image. It is way to messy. If the Xyron cartridge is new, the image shouldn't lift on you. I mean yes if you really really try you can get it off but I've been doing caps for 2 years now and sell them in boutiques across the US and don't have problems with my images coming off and have never had a shop owner complain that a customer brought a cap back because the image came off!

HTH,

Cristi
__________________
www.designsbycristi.etsy.com
Painted Bottle Caps, Images and Completed Caps
Reply With Quote
  #10 (permalink)  
Old 07-18-2010, 01:50
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Georgia
Posts: 1,392
Default Re: I feel so defeated......

Quote:
Originally Posted by designsbycristi View Post
No no, don't be done with the Xyron. It is your friend. Chances are that you just need a new cartridge. If your using one that is old, the sticky stuff will diminish over time. Try getting a new cartridge before giving up. Also, a lighter is the best thing to blow the bubles out with. I use a wind resistant lighter so the flame doesn't go all over the place. Most ladies do not put the ET over the edge of the cap/image. It is way to messy. If the Xyron cartridge is new, the image shouldn't lift on you. I mean yes if you really really try you can get it off but I've been doing caps for 2 years now and sell them in boutiques across the US and don't have problems with my images coming off and have never had a shop owner complain that a customer brought a cap back because the image came off!

HTH,

Cristi
Thank you Cristi!! I'm gonna try to use the mod podge first and see how that works. I will try to get a new cartridge when we a little more money in, darn group buys!!! lol
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
http://www.hipgirlclips.com/store/images/large/portrait-editing-ads-700.jpg
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


new products--pop dot diy pinwheel bows

http://www.hipgirlclips.com/store/images/no-liner-bottle-cap-combo.jpg

http://www.hipgirlclips.com/store/images/7-8-grosgrain-ribbon-soft-ball.jpg
http://www.hipgirlclips.com/store/images/7-8-dizzy-bees-ribbon-grosgrain-combo-.JPG
http://www.hipgirlclips.com/store/images/ladybug-applique-red-dot.jpg
http://www.hipgirlclips.com/store/images/half-wrapped%2050mm-snap-clips.jpg
http://www.hipgirlclips.com/store/images/flat-back-pearl-shpk.JPG

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:47.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.3
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0
Hip Girl Boutique Instructions - Copyright © 2007

Ad Management by RedTyger