New product--flat back resin
Hipgirl 40 Yards 3/8" Grosgrain Fabric Ribbon Polka Dot Set For Gift Package Wrapping, Hair Bow Clips & Accessories Making, Crafting, Sewing, Wedding Decor, Boy Girl Baby Shower-20x2yd Swiss Polka Dot
http://www.hipgirlclips.com/store/images/banners/heatnbond-lt-ad.jpg
New product--frog grosgrain ribbon
New product--5/8' dippin' dots grosgrain ribbon
New product--pop dots

Go Back   Hip Girl Boutique Free Hair Bow Instructions--Learn how to make hairbows and hair clips, FREE! > Ribbon and Bows > How to make...

How to make... Hairbows, hair clips, bottlecaps, ribbon shirts, flip flop...

Old 07-20-2010, 07:26

Default Re: burned singed flower

I saw a tutorial that used a heat embossing gun for scrapbooking. Took a bit to get it going, but it curled the same as using a candle.
Sponsored Links
Old 07-20-2010, 07:28

Quote:
Originally Posted by snugbud View Post
I saw a tutorial that used a heat embossing gun for scrapbooking. Took a bit to get it going, but it curled the same as using a candle.
Those blow a lot of wind too though.
Old 07-21-2010, 12:34

Quote:
Yep, I use an embossing gun. I love it! I just put a heat proof glove on one hand to hold the fabric. Then you can hold your thumb towards the edge of the fabric, point the gun at it, and the fabric will curl right up over your thumb. I feel like it gives me a lot more control over the shape and size of each piece. And, when I layer them all together, if they aren't fitting together quite right, I can use the gun on the whole flower to make them curl together and lay nicely. Here's a pic of one I did that way this afternoon
Attached Images
File Type: jpg red singed.jpg (32.6 KB, 101 views)
Old 07-21-2010, 12:33

Thanks for the picture. I have not tried it yet and I need a glove like yours! I have a million circles cut and have not sat down for the next step yet. My embossing gun does not blow, so I'm sure it will work great!
Old 07-21-2010, 12:43
ClippyDiva

I started out using jar candles and hated it, I coundn't control the curl, but then I switched to tea lights, they work really well, just make sure you don't have a draft because the flame can lick the fabric, but sometimes a little burnt edge looks nice!
this is one technique where it doesn't have to be perfect. Some materials burn faster than other or catch heat faster, always test a sample piece before you singe your circles.
I attached a few of mine so you can see some that are slightly singed to some that have crispy edges.
good luck and practice does make perfect.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC06169-1_BR.jpg (37.1 KB, 77 views)
File Type: jpg white_pinHB.jpg (41.3 KB, 77 views)
File Type: jpg DSC06203-2.jpg (69.6 KB, 77 views)
Old 07-22-2010, 11:14

Quote:
Thanks for that tip!! I am going to try my embossing gun today. I use long lighters to singe mine. I tried jar candles and tea lights; they don't work for me. I can control where it curls with the lighters.

If i leave it on the white or light pink a little too long they turn brownish. I leave it that way until I sew the flower together, then if it shows I cut it off and lightly singe where it was. You can't tell it was ever there. I singe on all my flowers after they are sewn together; sometimes there are flat areas or petals need a little more curl.
Old 07-22-2010, 11:15

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClippyDiva View Post
I started out using jar candles and hated it, I coundn't control the curl, but then I switched to tea lights, they work really well, just make sure you don't have a draft because the flame can lick the fabric, but sometimes a little burnt edge looks nice!
this is one technique where it doesn't have to be perfect. Some materials burn faster than other or catch heat faster, always test a sample piece before you singe your circles.
I attached a few of mine so you can see some that are slightly singed to some that have crispy edges.

Very Pretty!!
Old 10-21-2010, 12:13

Beautiful flowers, what kind of material is that on the last flower? Can i only use organza?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClippyDiva View Post
Old 10-21-2010, 01:02

I had the same problem and realized it was the lighter I was using! Hubby bought me lot of different ones to try out (most would hurt my fingers after a while) and ONLY ONE didn't burn the fabric. Not sure of the brand but it's the clear see through regular ones.

I don't like using tea lights because I don't feel I have the same control as using the lighter
Old 10-21-2010, 01:23

I love making these! I personally like the darker edges, especially the red ones I did tonight. I think they look more realistic. I'm curious the fabric used also. I am currently using satin, but have used the organza. I am using another brand of satin and it singes differently then the satin I was using last week. Weird!

Tracy
Sponsored Links