http://www.hipgirlclips.com/store/images/digital-image-editing%20-%20gallery.jpg
Saddle Stitch Ribbon
new products--1/4' plastic headbands
New colors--3/8' party dot and gymbo dot grosgrain ribbon
http://www.hipgirlclips.com/store/images/horse-grosgrain-ribbon-029.jpg
http://www.hipgirlclips.com/store/images/apple-grosgrain-ribbon-combo.jpg
New product--3/8' wrapped headband
new clearance items

Go Back   Hip Girl Boutique Free Hair Bow Instructions--Learn how to make hairbows and hair clips, FREE! > Ribbon and Bows > How to make...

How to make... Hairbows, hair clips, bottlecaps, ribbon shirts, flip flop...

Old 07-14-2010, 09:24

Unhappy If u use Envirotex Lite resin for your bottlecaps...

I was wondering if anyone else has had a problem with "sticky" bottlecaps. The first several batches I made (last Summer, I think) were fine. But i've tried making a few batches lately and they have come out sticky or tacky feeling. I've measured more carefully, but still yucky.

Does this resin "go bad" after a while? I invested in the large bottles last time I bought it and still have about half a bottle of each left. Should I give up and get some new. Or should I try a different brand? Any ideas?

Do I need to use more resin or more hardener? Would one or the other make the mixture less sticky?

I work full time in a daycare and these things SELL in the Summer! I don't want to fool around and miss sales because I don't know what to do
Any suggestions, tips, etc. would be GREATLY APPRECIATED.
Thanks!

www.ribbonzandbowz.com
Sponsored Links

Old 07-14-2010, 09:32

Default Re: If u use Envirotex Lite resin for your bottlecaps...

how's your humidity? It might have something do with that. I don't recall the % the package directions called for, something like 50% or less; but dh keeps the air conditioning on so it's never humid in here...cold for me, but not humid
Old 07-14-2010, 09:42

Humidity...uh, I'm in Louisiana, so....yep, humidity could be a problem. What can I do?

www.ribbonzandbowz.com
Old 07-14-2010, 09:49

if you have airconditioning, that may help; you'd have to be careful with a fan because they blow stuff all in your caps!

I know I can't work in our basement, although that is where I would love to work so I can actually have a kitchen table, and counter, and island...well you get the picture...but it is too cool and damp there; I have to have a dehumidifier run all the time

I'm sure there are some ladies from the south here who do this successfully!
Old 07-14-2010, 09:59

Ok, thanks. I'll try another batch tonight in my craft room instead of the kitchen, with the a/c turned waaay down. We don't keep our a/c very low here in the Summer, you just can't cool this kind of HOT.

www.ribbonzandbowz.com
Old 07-14-2010, 10:03

I just made a batch this afternoon. It sounds super silly, but I get the biggest kick out of watching those bubbles disappear when I blow through the turkey baster!!!!!! (like a straw with no bulb, people!)
Old 07-14-2010, 10:19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olivias Mimi View Post
Ok, thanks. I'll try another batch tonight in my craft room instead of the kitchen, with the a/c turned waaay down. We don't keep our a/c very low here in the Summer, you just can't cool this kind of HOT.
I live in Cali but recently visited a friend in Louisiana. First of all let me say I froze to death lol. The outside is hot but it seemed to me like everyone's air was at about 60 degrees lol. I do my friends caps for her from here in Cali. She doesn't have any problems with them once she receives them so I can't help you there. What I can tell you thought that whatever you are going to put that bottle cap on DO NOT USE HOT GLUE. OMG she does a ton of business with boutiques in Lousiana and recently changed from E6000 to hot glue (surebonder very high heat sticks and top quality glue gun). Well she sent out a batch to a boutique and needless to say by the customer got them the caps had fallen off. The humidity is way to high for the glue to stay attached. Just thought that might save some heartache once you get those caps done perfectly. As far as the E.T. DO NOT change to any other product or you will encounter far worse problems. I always try to use new bottles. The few rare times that I haven't done caps for 3 or 4 weeks, I will typically throw the bottle out and start with a new bottle. That's just me though. I'm kinda anal that way. Also, try to store your bottle in it's original box. I find that when I throw the box away and just store the bottle by themselves the resin turns kinda yellow. I haven't noticed it affecting my cap quality but still I'm just really really anal that way.
Old 07-16-2010, 12:31

I live in a very humid area too. The only times I've ever had the caps come out "tacky" was when I didn't measure and mix the stuff very carefully. Are you being careful to get exactly the same amounts of the two liquids and mixing following the directions?

Old 07-16-2010, 12:38

i live in gulfport ms so i understand the heat and humidity your talking about!!!! i usually do my caps early in the morning or late in the evening since its cooler then, but your right you can't cool this heat our electric bill was $450 this month cause it ran constantly!!!!! cant wait for fall!!!!
Old 07-16-2010, 01:37

I have had that happen before several times. I just put a second coat on an even half and half mix and left out on counter 24 hrs and walla hard and smooth. It has worked every time
Sponsored Links

Tags
bottlecaps, resin