150-forum-ads
hip girl boutique ballet dance gymnastic skating bun cover rhinestone hip girl boutique 40pc grosgrain ribbon wrapped 2 inch snap clips barrettes hip girl boutique grosgrain ribbon korker for hair bows clips
hip girl boutique 18pc grosgrain mini bow tie hair bow clips for baby infant toddler women adult
hip girl sparkle glitter headbands for dancing ballet stage cheerleading girls women high school college
http://www.hipgirlclips.com/store/images/medium/3in-spike-bows-rainbow.jpg

Go Back   Hip Girl Boutique Free Hair Bow Instructions--Learn how to make hairbows and hair clips, FREE! > Ribbon and Bows > How to make...

How to make... Hairbows, hair clips, bottlecaps, ribbon shirts, flip flop...

Old 07-13-2010, 10:10

Default Polyester is strange

1. I do NOT understand why some ribbon that is 100% polyester seems to work great making korkers, while others just doesn't work.

2. Maybe it's because some that I am using are 1/4 inch or 1/8 inch? Some are shiny while others aren't, some are grosgrain and others aren't? I mean I am making sure I evenly put the starch on before putting them in the oven and have tried to problem solve this with other things.

3. Also, it seem the smaller the ribbon ( meaning 1/4 inch and 1/8 inch) the harder it is to NOT get kinks (meaning the loop turns the other way) when taking them off the dowel.

I think I read that after using the dowels a few times, they should slide off the dowel after being in the oven and cooling, real easy. I'm not finding this with all of them. Some spots seem to stick a little bit usually.

I am making sure I have 100% polyester.

Help please.
Sponsored Links
http://www.hipgirlclips.com/affiliate_alt_ads/jewelboxballerina-300.jpg
Old 07-13-2010, 10:51

Default Re: Polyester is strange

I know, I wondered that myself. I noticed all ribbon is 100% polyester at Michael's. Some of it is grosgrain, some satin, some shiny. Are there different kinds of polyester I wonder? I'm confused too! Maybe someone will have the answer.
Old 07-13-2010, 11:20

UB korks but it's soft I think it has something to do with thread count - kind of like your bedding. I use spray starch and bakes for 25 mins

Yama is shiny too - limp kork unless you really starch it like UB.

Schiff - doesn't even need starch though I do starch the final korker.

Dowels - SANDPAPER - go get some sheets and you will be amazed. I need to do the new dowels but I'm lazy.

The skinny ribbon - you just have to be careful taking it off and when you cut it you'll work out the kinks and get the curl back in shape.

I also leave my ribbon on the dowel to fully cool before taking it off. Try different cooking times I've left ribbon in longer than 30 mins before, just don't increase the heat too much.
Old 07-13-2010, 01:31

Excellent advice, I soo appreciate it!

1. Can you tell me though, what is UB?

2. So do you find that UB is worth it for korking?
3. How about Yama ( the ones that are shiny)? I really want to use ribbon that is shiny. Grosgrain, some seem to be shiny, but not like some satins.

4. Where do you get Schiff? Never mind lol, I will google it.

Thanks for the sandpaper advice, I never thought of that!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bstimpert View Post
UB korks but it's soft I think it has something to do with thread count - kind of like your bedding. I use spray starch and bakes for 25 mins

Yama is shiny too - limp kork unless you really starch it like UB.

Schiff - doesn't even need starch though I do starch the final korker.

Dowels - SANDPAPER - go get some sheets and you will be amazed. I need to do the new dowels but I'm lazy.

The skinny ribbon - you just have to be careful taking it off and when you cut it you'll work out the kinks and get the curl back in shape.

I also leave my ribbon on the dowel to fully cool before taking it off. Try different cooking times I've left ribbon in longer than 30 mins before, just don't increase the heat too much.
Old 07-13-2010, 02:59

1. Can you tell me though, what is UB? United Beads, check the supplier thread. They actually have a website you can order through now, united crafts I believe. $50 minimum.

2. So do you find that UB is worth it for korking? I don't know their current pricing as it's been a while since I've ordered but when 1 korker takes 3-4 and UB is $1.50/50 yards vs. 11/100 yards yes I think it's worth it. It also does great for woven headbands.

3. How about Yama ( the ones that are shiny)? I really want to use ribbon that is shiny. Grosgrain, some seem to be shiny, but not like some satins. There are sites that sell yama and ebay, check the supplier thread. Also hipgirl's site sells similar. I don't know if Michelle's is yama or not. Wright's brand (you find this at Walmart in the ribbon by the yard) is shiny. You will need to starch it or you'll find a very loose korker.

4. Where do you get Schiff? Ribbonandbowsohmy RABOM carries Schiff, great for small quantities. theribbonretreat carries schiff as well. Offray is similar to the quality but limited on the colors.

Thanks for the sandpaper advice, I never thought of that! You're Welcome!
Old 07-13-2010, 03:59

ok the interior designer and seamstress in me had to add that

Polyester is basically refined and woven plastic and the make up varies based on how it is produced, woven and structured and how it looks and feels varies depending on their composition, web structure and processing.

Sponsored Links

Tags
korkers sticking