ribbon and bows and free hairbow instructions

http://www.hipgirlclips.com/store/images/peony-ad.gif
7-8 zebra and leopard grosgrain ribbon
New product--7/8' sister ribbon
Mini Pinwheel Bows

Go Back   Hip Girl Boutique Free Hair Bow Instructions--Learn how to make hairbows and hair clips, FREE! > Ribbon and Bows > How to make...

How to make... Hairbows, hair clips, bottlecaps, ribbon shirts, flip flop...

Old 07-09-2010, 11:32

Default how to attach hair bow or cheer bow to ponytail elastic???

Hi,
I have been asked to make some hair bows for a cheerleading team...but I've never made bows on ponytail elastic...Does anyone know how to attach the bow to the elastic? I'm not sure if they're glued or sew on....

ANY help is appreciated!! Thanks!

Sponsored Links

Old 07-09-2010, 04:57

Default Re: how to attach hair bow or cheer bow to ponytail elastic???

Yay! I know the answer to this one! If you're making them onto pony-o's, you can hot glue the back of the bow onto the pony-o before you've covered the center fold. Then, when you wrap the center fold, use it to cover and smooth the ugly glue area and hide your ends.

If your bows are for competition, consider subsituting elastic for the pony-o. The elastic can be wrapped around the base ponytail to make the bow really stable during tumbling. Same technique, just use 1/4 inch elastic in about a 4-5 inch length. The ends are just wrapped and tied until they disappear behind the ponytail.
Old 07-10-2010, 12:31

Quote:
Originally Posted by attagirl View Post
If your bows are for competition, consider subsituting elastic for the pony-o. The elastic can be wrapped around the base ponytail to make the bow really stable during tumbling. Same technique, just use 1/4 inch elastic in about a 4-5 inch length. The ends are just wrapped and tied until they disappear behind the ponytail.

Sorry but I'm not getting this part....what "ends are just wrapped and tied until they disappear behind the ponytail"? I'm sure I just can't invision it right now Thanks!
Old 07-10-2010, 04:57

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaNannetteBoutique View Post
Sorry but I'm not getting this part....what "ends are just wrapped and tied until they disappear behind the ponytail"? I'm sure I just can't invision it right now Thanks!
I will bump this up for u see if anyone else is willing to help
Old 07-10-2010, 07:42

Let me try starting from the beginning and see if it helps... Sometimes I'm not good at finding the best wording.

A competition bow is usually placed on a high ponytail or pigtails secured with a plain, heavy-duty pony-o. The bow is then secured around the existing/base elastic- the one that is already holding the hair in place. The bow is not holding the ponytail/pigtail in place, and the purpose of the ponytail or the elastic attached to the bow isnt to secure the hair- only to secure the bow- which is a big deal during tumbling and stunting. It's got to stay, and it's got to stay exactly in place, and heaven help the mother whose child's bow so much as moves.

It's perfectly fine to use pony-o's on the competition bow, but flat elastic often provides better grip during tumbling and it has the added benefit of easier placement around the existing/ base pony-o. It can be both knotted repeatedl, and pulled a lot tighter than is possible with a pony-o. Here's how it works.

When you use a bow built on flat elastic, the ends are wrapped in opposite directions around the base pony-o and then knotted behind the ponytail. They can be knotted at each time the crossover in the back for extra security. The ends then pretty much just disapper behind the bow/ponytail- by which I mean you can't see them from a judging angle. Plus it doesn't require any additional securing from bobby pins. It's sturdy. To remove, you just untie the knots.

My daughter is a competitive cheerleader and we have our best luck with bows built on flat elastic, and the other mothers seem to prefer it as well. It's a nice option to offer, especially to competition or power tumbling squads.

Hope that makes it clearer and not worse.

smiles,
gina
Old 07-10-2010, 07:45

Cheerbows!!! glue it on....then attch center good luck !! I make a TON of cheer bows... feel free to ask me any questions
Old 07-10-2010, 07:46

just noticed the word elastic... I ALWAYS use no metal pony o
Old 07-13-2010, 03:37

Gina,
good advice to use flat elastic...I make cheer bows as well for our teams and as an online business. We just cut the pony-os and tie those, but duh! Why didn't I think of that!!! Soooo much cheaper to make!
Thanks for your input, what a good idea,
shelleigh
Old 07-13-2010, 04:16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blkhawkfan View Post
Gina,
good advice to use flat elastic...I make cheer bows as well for our teams and as an online business. We just cut the pony-os and tie those, but duh! Why didn't I think of that!!! Soooo much cheaper to make!
shelleigh
awww. I'm just glad someone understands me, and I'm glad it helps. Funny, I never thought of cutting the pony-o's. Doncha just love finding different ways to get a job done?

smiles,
gina
Old 01-10-2011, 01:52

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blkhawkfan View Post
Gina,
shelleigh
I'm a pony-o cutter from way back. It anchors the bow so nicely. We have had some fierce tumblers on our Pop Warner Teams. Never a floppy bow in the bunch!

Find me on Facebook at Cheer Bows by Cheer 'N Bowz
Sponsored Links