New product--2.5' Zebra Printed Grosgrain Ribbon
http://www.hipgirlclips.com/store/images/banners/peace-sign-grosgrain-ribbon-ads.jpg
http://www.hipgirlclips.com/store/images/medium/7-8-grosgrain-ribbon-volleyball-forest-green.jpg
New Instructions--How to make korker hair bow using a korker box hip girl boutique grosgrain ribbon korker for hair bows, hair clips, baby women, toddler, girl, adult, floral design, birthday holiday gift wrapping
New product--star ribbon for cheer bows

Go Back   Hip Girl Boutique Free Hair Bow Instructions--Learn how to make hairbows and hair clips, FREE! > Ribbon and Bows > How to make...

How to make... Hairbows, hair clips, bottlecaps, ribbon shirts, flip flop...

Old 07-08-2010, 12:33

Default Registering as a business?

Hey....How many of you guys had to register your business with the city? My husband says that is what we have to do legally to do this, but I'm not sure about this??? Will they charge taxes if I do? is it legal not to? I'm so confused.... any advice? feel free to send private messages too...
Sponsored Links

Old 07-08-2010, 08:37

Default Re: Registering as a business?

You definitely need to register with the state to collect sales tax, but check with the city or county you live in because this will vary from place to place. In some places you have to register a DBA name with the county clerk's office. Some cities have codes to follow and permits to obtain. When I ran a different kind of business (soap making) from home there were codes to follow and I had to get clearance from my local fire department to keep certain supplies on hand in large quantities. I don't think you'll have that problem with bow making though. When I applied for a business license in my state they sent a packet of information with a list of county offices and their requirements. Good luck!
Old 07-08-2010, 09:34

Quote:
Originally Posted by sillysally View Post
You definitely need to register with the state to collect sales tax, but check with the city or county you live in because this will vary from place to place. In some places you have to register a DBA name with the county clerk's office. Some cities have codes to follow and permits to obtain. When I ran a different kind of business (soap making) from home there were codes to follow and I had to get clearance from my local fire department to keep certain supplies on hand in large quantities. I don't think you'll have that problem with bow making though. When I applied for a business license in my state they sent a packet of information with a list of county offices and their requirements. Good luck!

So i need to register with the city first?
Old 07-08-2010, 09:58

It really depends on where you live. Your city probably has a small business office/website that you can check with.

Where I live, I don't have to register as a business but there are tax advantages if I do. Also it protects my business name. It was worth doing IMO, but that's just for me!
Old 07-08-2010, 11:22

we registired as a llc in co. we have to a bus. trade name and a sales tax both of which have to be renewed each year.

We did it to protect our selves and be more professional.
Old 07-08-2010, 12:51

Good to know, and to look into. I have not done anything with registering because I just make things for my family/friends right now as word of mouth. Trying to make it into a business, but not until we can make enough! Right now I"m spending more than I'm making.
Old 05-09-2011, 10:25

I am trying to decide whether or not to get a tax id # and register as a business. How does this affect my taxes, since I do not make much and I consider this a "hobby" I worry that i will be adversley affected. But if I want to venture out and do local craft shows, I need a tax id #. I'm so scared!!!
Old 05-09-2011, 10:52

it varies from place to place....i have a tax id but have never actually paid them directly since i dont make nowhere near the amount i am suppose to make to file taxes with the comptroller's office i HOWEVER do claim that extra income in my personal taxes and pay my taxes that way...you just need to ask in your area.
Old 05-10-2011, 01:06

I have to have a city license and mine costs me about $200 a year! Higher than anywhere else around here. I have the license in my personal name because its cheaper and that way I don't have to have to worry about changing the name if I change my business.

I then have my reseller's certificate that is used to collect and turn in my sales taxes.

I claim my income on a schedule C on my taxes. I make sure and keep my receipts and usually am not much in the black, if at all.
Old 05-10-2011, 01:32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laura612 View Post
I have to have a city license and mine costs me about $200 a year! Higher than anywhere else around here. I have the license in my personal name because its cheaper and that way I don't have to have to worry about changing the name if I change my business.

I then have my reseller's certificate that is used to collect and turn in my sales taxes.

I claim my income on a schedule C on my taxes. I make sure and keep my receipts and usually am not much in the black, if at all.
Woah, $200!? What city are you in? I live in SoCal too, but a small city, or I guess we're considered a town, and it's $55 dollars a year and $40 a year after that. If you make less that $1500/year you're not required to have a license.
Sponsored Links

HipGirl 6pc Set 2.5" Hawaii Hawaiian Plumeria Flower Foam Hair Clip Accessory, Boutique Alligator Clip Assortment. For Bridal Wedding Party Beach Vacation Outfit, Dress. For Girls Teens Kids Adults
HipGirl 6pc Set 2.5" Hawaii Hawaiian Plumeria Flower Foam Hair Clip Accessory, Boutique Alligator Clip Assortment. For Bridal Wedding Party Beach Vacation Outfit, Dress. For Girls Teens Kids Adults.
HipGirl 6pc Set 2.5" Hawaii Hawaiian Plumeria Flower Foam Hair Clip Accessory, Boutique Alligator Clip Assortment. For Bridal Wedding Party Beach Vacation Outfit, Dress. For Girls Teens Kids Adults.