New products--small fold over bow card for craft show
Hipgirl 20pcs 1.75 Inch Hair Clips Barrettes--Boutique No Slip Grip Metal Babies Girls Todders Teens Women Grosgrain Ribbon Lined Single Prong Alligator Clip With Teeth, Assorted Beauty Accessories
HipGirl DIY Bulk Plain Craft Plastic Headbands--Create Individualized and Personalized Girls Women Hair Accessories (30pc 1/2" (11 mm) Inch Ivory Non - Tapered)
http://www.hipgirlclips.com/affiliate_alt_ads/jewelboxballerina.gif
New products--hip girl clips
http://www.hipgirlclips.com/store/images/30mm-webbing-dk-pink.jpg
New products--daisy new colors

Go Back   Hip Girl Boutique Free Hair Bow Instructions--Learn how to make hairbows and hair clips, FREE! > Ribbon and Bows > How to make...

How to make... Hairbows, hair clips, bottlecaps, ribbon shirts, flip flop...

Old 07-05-2010, 04:02

Default Raggie bow troubles

Ok, so I LOVE the idea of making raggie bows from fabric.

I bought the tutorial, but mine are soo not turning out anything like the ones I see in the tut or other places.

But now i have decided I'd rather sew mine, I can do them in bed or whereever if I do that.

I know people sew them also, ....but I can't find a tut for them. Is there another name people tend to call them?

I have tried to do my own version of sewing them ( many) and they don't work out either. I am at my wits end!

I followed the raggie bow instructions carefully, but they just look like a bunch of bunched up fabric strips and usually just stand next to each other, no matter how much I pull them, fluff them....you name it.

I am a quick learn mind you, so this is really frustrating, because I know these aren't hard to make.

But i have spent hours and hours and hours and hours trying to do this. I soo want to make them because I had to give up on making korker bows as I struggled with those also. Otherwise I do ok with making things, though.

Please, someone find me a tut for sewing the raggie bows that might actually work for me, as I apparently am not talented enough to do the raggie bow tut that involves hot glue.

i know people aren't wanting to always share their methods/secrets, and I understand, but I'm desperate here. I really am. I want to have my own raggie bows to sell at my 1st craft show.

Thanks
Sponsored Links
http://www.hipgirlclips.com/affiliate_alt_ads/jewelboxballerina-300.jpg
Old 07-05-2010, 04:05
ksterling628

Default Re: Raggie bow troubles

I'm right there with you. I can't get them to turn out correctly for anything...I'll pm you with some info.
Old 07-05-2010, 04:15

I'm glad you posted this! I have bought them and struggle terribly too! I'm interested to see if anybody replies. I'd love a solution! It's discouraging
Old 07-05-2010, 04:23

Glad I saw this, thinking that perhaps I'll stay away from that tutorial, I was looking at it the other day.
Old 07-05-2010, 04:35

NO! Please don't stay away from it!

I doubt everyone else has as much of a hard time with it as I am. I know I have seen rave reviews on it, it's good.

Sometimes you just don't see something you are doing wrong is all, I'm thinking. That is why I am hoping for help here.

I think the tut is very thorough. I don't know if I'm rolling the wrong way ( so the knots are facing out, I think is what I was doing) or what. If she can do it ( the owner of the tut), I'm sure I can.

Sometimes I get hung up on something that is easy. It just drives me crazy is all when I am new to something because I am good at doing hard things so to speak lol.

I can usually figure things out or figure out what I am doing wrong, but I am new to this stuff and well the korkers and this are driving me nuts.

Don't think just because a couple people are having a hard time, that it isn't worth it. Ask around though for feedback from many before making the decision I say.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wednesday View Post
Glad I saw this, thinking that perhaps I'll stay away from that tutorial, I was looking at it the other day.
Old 07-05-2010, 04:35

I don't think it's a bad tut at all. I just feel like I'm doing something wrong that mine doesn't end up as cutesy as the ones I've seen.
Old 07-05-2010, 04:59

I'll share whatever I can anytime if I can help someone!

I lay mine out flat on a table and push all of the knots flat and as even as possible. After I get done rolling and gluing, I look at both sides. There's always one that looks better than the other and I make that the top of my bow. I also check underneath for the flattest, best position to place the clip. Trust me, it's NOT always along the exact middle. Once I have the clip secure, I flip it all over and pull certain pieces upward and towards the center. Then I trim it all evenly and shake upside down to get more fullness.

I would also try emailing the creator of the tut and maybe she has more tips that would help you.

I have seen a sewn version, but never tried it.
Old 07-05-2010, 05:03

Thanks so much for the tips. Do you recall where you've seen the sewn versions?

Quote:
Originally Posted by masha1999 View Post
I'll share whatever I can anytime if I can help someone!

I lay mine out flat on a table and push all of the knots flat and as even as possible. After I get done rolling and gluing, I look at both sides. There's always one that looks better than the other and I make that the top of my bow. I also check underneath for the flattest, best position to place the clip. Trust me, it's NOT always along the exact middle. Once I have the clip secure, I flip it all over and pull certain pieces upward and towards the center. Then I trim it all evenly and shake upside down to get more fullness.

I would also try emailing the creator of the tut and maybe she has more tips that would help you.

I have seen a sewn version, but never tried it.
Old 07-05-2010, 07:16

No, sorry but I believe a variation of some of the poufy type ribbon bows will give a similar effect by using material instead. Firecracker or pom pom bows?
Old 07-05-2010, 08:01

I bought the raggie bow tut and had a little trouble with it as well. Very nice directions, it just didn't seem to work for me. I also bought a tut from punkynmunky (?) on etsy I think, for her spikey bows and I kind of use that sam e concept, only I use fabric instead of ribbon and they turn out looking almost just like the raggie bow. HTH!
Sponsored Links
http://www.hipgirlclips.com/affiliate_alt_ads/whimsydoodlegraphics.gif