http://www.hipgirlclips.com/affiliate_alt_ads/jewelboxballerina-800.jpg

Go Back   Hip Girl Boutique Free Hair Bow Instructions--Learn how to make hairbows and hair clips, FREE! > Ribbon and Bows > How to make...

How to make... Hairbows, hair clips, bottlecaps, ribbon shirts, flip flop...

Old 07-02-2010, 03:21

Unhappy E6000 and Shoo Goo aren't working on Flip Flops

E6000 didn't work for the flip flops that I have been making and some big clients have gotten really upset. This has cost me a lot in refunds not to mention the loss in materials.

I sanded them and waited 2 minutes before adhering the glue to the edges in a 74 degree house and waited 48 hours before letting clients have them but the edging is still coming off like it was never even glued, HELP. My business reputation is getting tarnished FAST! I tried a regular glue gun and Shoe Goo too all with light sanding but the edging still comes off of my Old Navy flip flops.

I saw a lot of options here still with HOT HOT HOT glue (would it need to be hotter than 40 watt?) and the other glue sticks for $0.70 each. What is a DEFINATE guarantee to work or is there one? PLease Please Please Help!!

Thank you!
Sponsored Links
Old 07-02-2010, 03:25

Default Re: E6000 and Shoo Goo aren't working on Flip Flops

I do not and will not ever do ribbon around the edge of flip flops for this reason. It's such a highly flexible area of the shoe and while ribbon does stretch and give, it doesn't "bounce back" unless it's elastic. I don't see any scenario where, over time, it will truly last and still look good. I think the ribbon on the straps but NOT on the soles is still perfectly cute and enough when you take in the peace of mind that comes with it.
Old 07-02-2010, 03:28

Ohhhh okay....it just looks sooo cute but like you said if NOTHING works it's best to not do it and have happy customers!! Thank you for your advice on the edging but I do have this issue on the straps too that wrap around the back of the foot (old Navy toddler style), will I have to end up sewing them?

Last edited by LaNannetteBoutique; 07-02-2010 at 03:32.
Old 07-02-2010, 03:30

I agree, I think it's adorable. But the headache isn't worth it in my opinion.
Old 07-02-2010, 04:26

i dont do ribbon but i do attach bows and a ribbon bow i make - all with shoe gloo. i have gotten 1 or 2 pair back since i switched from e6000 but nothing like i was getting at the beginning of the season. i think for next year i will only offer flip flops that i can either tie or sew the embellishment on.
Old 07-02-2010, 06:29

I haven't had any trouble with Shoe-Goo. Before that, I was using E6000 and had terrible luck.
Old 07-02-2010, 07:43

I neer put it around the edge either, when I put a bow on, I use clothes pins to hold it in place for a few days and it seems to work well. I have been using E6000
Old 07-02-2010, 08:27

When did you last buy your E6000? Is it a new tube? Was there dust on the packaging when you bought it?

I use only E6000 and wear my flip flops every single day, I have never had a problem. I use a dot of glue on the bottom of the thong, wait 2 min and adhere the ribbon, clamp it and then wrap the thong. I glue in a few places as I go then clamp all of it for 24 hours and then wear them.

Do you mean you're putting ribbon on the thong, or on the outside sole?

ETA: its not that one glue is better than the other, it's simply that different types of glue work for different surfaces.
Old 07-03-2010, 09:31

I don't put ribbon around the sole either. Not worth the trouble. I'm using shoe goo for wrapping and whatever embellishment I'm using and have not had any issues.

JoMarie
Old 07-05-2010, 10:56

Thank you, The tube of E6000 was new and no dust that I can remember...maybe a harder grain of sandpaper or a drimel tool instead?
Sponsored Links
http://www.hipgirlclips.com/affiliate_alt_ads/whimsydoodlegraphics.gif

Tags
flip flops, glue, how to make