5/8" polka dot grosgrain ribbon
Hip Girl Boutique It's a girl grosgrain satin ribbon collection
http://www.hipgirlclips.com/store/images/200pc-crochet-headband-combo.jpg

hip girl boutique grosgrain mini bow tie single prong alligator hair bow clips for baby infant new born women girl adult

http://www.hipgirlclips.com/affiliate_alt_ads/hair-bow-holder-craft-show-display-180.jpg
New products--Crochet headbands

Go Back   Hip Girl Boutique Free Hair Bow Instructions--Learn how to make hairbows and hair clips, FREE! > Ribbon and Bows > How to make...

How to make... Hairbows, hair clips, bottlecaps, ribbon shirts, flip flop...

Old 07-01-2010, 11:48

Default Bottle Cap Help....PLEASE!

Hey Ladies! My first post besides under introductions...I'm moving up! LOL!

Anyway...I am trying to make bottle caps to go on my hair bows and need a little guidance and instruction. I dont necessarily want the "dome" shape I just want a simple finish that will keep the image on the bottle cap, but also want the bottle cap to hold up through normal wear and tear.

I have used the Xyron permanent sticker maker to adhere the image to the bottle cap and then I used the Triple Thick over the top of my image, but it just doesnt get as hard as I would like for it to. I have been told to use polyurethane spray, but have not seen any other posts with people using this so was kind of scared.

Any help would be much appreciated! I just want the bottle caps to be high quality, but dont really want the high gloss/dome effect unless it is absolutely necessary for the quality of the bottlecap! Hope this makes sense and thanks in advance for any help! Happy Thursday everyone!
Sponsored Links

Old 07-06-2010, 03:59

Default Re: Bottle Cap Help....PLEASE!

B...b...b...bumping! Do any of you know if you can brush on a thin layer of the Diamond glaze, rio grande, or Et Lite for just a light protective seal. I am not wanting the doming effect, just need something to protect the image! Thanks in advance for any help I can get!
Old 07-06-2010, 04:32

I am not going to be of much help because I am trying to figure all of this out myself. I have used the triple thick also and didn't like it. I have also used the glossy accents by ranger. It kinda makes a dome but not a high one but I didn't like how it didn't stay shiny. I just bought the et lite today so will try it. I guess u could brush it on. I say try it on a simple round cut out before adhering to the cap P.s. I LOVE modge podge to adhere the images to the caps. Have u tried searching bottlecaps here on the forum. I would type in bottlecaps then go back to like page 20 and read all the post. Good luck
Old 07-06-2010, 05:04

I have read bottle cap posts until my eyes were crossed! LOL! Thanks for your help. Can you get the ET lite at HL or Michael's?
Old 07-06-2010, 05:57

Quote:
Originally Posted by erinaj27 View Post
I have read bottle cap posts until my eyes were crossed! LOL! Thanks for your help. Can you get the ET lite at HL or Michael's?
I got it at Michaels, be sure to have your coupon this stuff is expensive. I made my first bottlecaps last night and they came out with a nice smooth dome effect, however I was wondering how they would be with a nice thinner layer. I think I will try that next. I don't know about brushing this stuff (time is of the essence) and it is pretty sticky stuff.

Good luck!
Old 07-06-2010, 07:04

Marking! I'm curious about this myself!
Old 07-06-2010, 07:44

the only kind of resin I have ever gotten that was consistenly hard as glass is the rio grande doming resin, even the et lite does not get hard for me and I live where there is very very low humidity. I do have to bake the rio but it is so so so worth the money, I can do over 500 bottle caps with resin still left over in the bottles

http://www.riogrande.com/MemberArea/...%7c256=Colores
Old 07-06-2010, 07:45

I couldn't find a small box of et lite at michaels but found it at hobby lobby. I definitely used my 40 % percent coupon and I paid like $7 for it What kind of resin would be used for a thin layer/coating?
Old 07-07-2010, 11:13

Wink Re: Bottle Cap Help....PLEASE!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThreeBlessingsBowtique View Post
the only kind of resin I have ever gotten that was consistenly hard as glass is the rio grande doming resin, even the et lite does not get hard for me and I live where there is very very low humidity. I do have to bake the rio but it is so so so worth the money, I can do over 500 bottle caps with resin still left over in the bottles

http://www.riogrande.com/MemberArea/...%7c256=Colores
I may have to try this! Do you know if it would work as a thin layer over the top of the bottle cap images?

Thanks everyone for your input. This seems to be the hardest thing to get instruction on, but if I figure anything out I will let you girls know!
Old 07-07-2010, 03:25

Quote:
Originally Posted by erinaj27 View Post
I may have to try this! Do you know if it would work as a thin layer over the top of the bottle cap images?

Thanks everyone for your input. This seems to be the hardest thing to get instruction on, but if I figure anything out I will let you girls know!
yes just use less resin
Sponsored Links
http://www.hipgirlclips.com/affiliate_alt_ads/jewelboxballerina-300.jpg