150-forum-ads
hip girl boutique ballet dance gymnastic skating bun cover rhinestone hip girl boutique 40pc grosgrain ribbon wrapped 2 inch snap clips barrettes hip girl boutique grosgrain ribbon korker for hair bows clips
hip girl boutique 18pc grosgrain mini bow tie hair bow clips for baby infant toddler women adult
hip girl sparkle glitter headbands for dancing ballet stage cheerleading girls women high school college
http://www.hipgirlclips.com/store/images/medium/3in-spike-bows-rainbow.jpg

Go Back   Hip Girl Boutique Free Hair Bow Instructions--Learn how to make hairbows and hair clips, FREE! > Ribbon and Bows > How to make...

How to make... Hairbows, hair clips, bottlecaps, ribbon shirts, flip flop...

Old 07-01-2010, 12:01

Default Singed Flower material

So I finally tried the singed flower today and LOVE IT. I just used this berry pink organza and it turned out so cute. Even DH commented. And he never comments. So was wondering what other materials have you ladies used for them that have worked for you and what have you learned to stay away from. Just wondering. Will be heading to Joanns to check out their scrap bin for a few odd yds of different materials to try.
Sponsored Links
http://www.hipgirlclips.com/affiliate_alt_ads/jewelboxballerina-300.jpg
Old 07-01-2010, 08:34

Default Re: Singed Flower material

Satin, anything 100% polyester

Old 07-01-2010, 09:01

Is the organza you all use a little floppy? I picked some up the other night on a whim when I had to run to HL (well, technically I was supposed to be going to WM to get something but HL is right across the street!). It's not stiff like the organza ribbon I have, and I have been practicing making singed flowers, I seem to have a little trouble getting it to cup when in a larger circle.

I only bought a small amount in a couple of colors just in case that's not the type to use, I don't sew so I don't know my fabrics as well as I could, but I am slowly learning!
Old 07-01-2010, 09:39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aeonix View Post
Is the organza you all use a little floppy? I picked some up the other night on a whim when I had to run to HL (well, technically I was supposed to be going to WM to get something but HL is right across the street!). It's not stiff like the organza ribbon I have, and I have been practicing making singed flowers, I seem to have a little trouble getting it to cup when in a larger circle.

I only bought a small amount in a couple of colors just in case that's not the type to use, I don't sew so I don't know my fabrics as well as I could, but I am slowly learning!

I find that id you put your thumb in the middle of the circle and singe the ends it makes like a cup, but you have to hit above the edge a little to get it to curve.

You'll get it eventually, it takes some practice.

Old 07-01-2010, 10:38

I have bought two different name brands of organza at Joanne's. One is a little stiffer than the other. (Actually three as they have it on a spool like the tulle but not too many color choices at my Joann..and it is really stiff.) I really like the stiffer (Casa I believe) one for doing the singed flowers but the "softer" one has some really beautiful colors so I do use it too. It doesn't cup as well, and the flowers are a little "flatter" but they are still very pretty. I also mix the two together for a different look. No two of my flowers are ever alike even if I use the same fabric anyway...they never singe exactly the same way. That's what I love about making these flowers.
The pp is right about putting your thumb in the center they do have a tendency to cup better that way. Holding it above the flame works better for me also but be very careful with that...I got a really REALLY bad burn on my thumb, much worse than a hot glue burn :O The more you work with them the more "tricks" you'll pick up.
Old 07-01-2010, 10:52

Here is a photo of some of the 1 inch! YOu will see how some fabrics don't curve as much.

Old 07-01-2010, 11:34

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbettua View Post
Here is a photo of some of the 1 inch! YOu will see how some fabrics don't curve as much.

Those are beautiful!!!!! I think I am going to have to try these!
Old 07-01-2010, 12:21

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbettua View Post

WOW! I am in love with these! You did an awesome job. Do you have a tut you used for these? I would love to try some of these out! What kind of material did you use for these that make them kind of glittery looking!
Old 07-01-2010, 01:15

Wow so pretty I have seen posting on these but never seen them. Where do I get directions to make them?
Old 07-01-2010, 02:33

i found my tut online when I googled but it was just in general. I emailed a girl about one she used to sell but she never replies so might ck out etsy. Its seemed pretty darn simple and addictive I made more this am out of what I bought. Thanks ladies for the advise going to buy some satin I saw last week at Joanns int he scrap bin.
Sponsored Links
http://www.hipgirlclips.com/store/images/large/portrait-editing-ads-700.jpg