http://www.hipgirlclips.com/store/images/mini-pinwheel-bow-snap-clips-22pc.jpg
New product--3' everyday (pinwheel) hair bow/hairbow clips

New products--grosgrain ribbon mini bows
http://www.hipgirlclips.com/affiliate_alt_ads/peony-hair-flower-clips-red-ad.jpg
New product--Silk Geraniums

Go Back   Hip Girl Boutique Free Hair Bow Instructions--Learn how to make hairbows and hair clips, FREE! > Ribbon and Bows > How to make...

How to make... Hairbows, hair clips, bottlecaps, ribbon shirts, flip flop...

Old 07-01-2010, 02:55

Default Re: Singed Flower material

I LOVE the little ones!!! I am going to have to make some of those. Mine are about 2 -2.5". Here is a picture of some of them. You can see like yours, some don't cup so much as others.

And this is my one that didn't want to cup at all. I thought about just throwing these petals away but I really liked the color, so I just started layering them and once I got the flower put together I really liked it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbettua View Post
Here is a photo of some of the 1 inch! YOu will see how some fabrics don't curve as much.
Sponsored Links
http://www.hipgirlclips.com/affiliate_alt_ads/whimsydoodlegraphics.gif
Old 07-01-2010, 03:00

The fabric is organza and that particular fabric comes with a shimmer. If you searched singed flower tutorial on the forum one will come up.

Old 07-02-2010, 12:57

Thanks! Will have to give them a try!
Old 07-02-2010, 09:19

I love the flowers you guys posted! They are all so beautiful. I have made
some before and I like how they turned out but I had to cut all the circles out by hand because I don't have a big shot or anything yet. What do you guys use to cut the circles? If you use a dye lot which one? TIA, I've been
wanting to know forever
Old 07-02-2010, 09:22

I am in the learning process on the singed flowers. Should the edges ever show black or is the idea to just singe "a little"..

Thanks
Old 07-02-2010, 09:33

I love all the flowers. I have been wanting to give these a try and you guys have inspired me. I stopped at the store on my way home to get some fabric so I could give this a try this weekend.
Old 07-02-2010, 10:13

Thank you, I cut all my circles out by hand. I have the Olfa circle cutter that some one posted about and I have a cuttle bug and a cricut but I really haven't had much luck cutting the organza with any of them. Cutting the circles is the part that I dislike the most. My friend loves to cut the circles so if I cut the strips to fit the circles then she will cut the circles for me at night while we are watching TV.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakynsmommy View Post
I love the flowers you guys posted! They are all so beautiful. I have made
some before and I like how they turned out but I had to cut all the circles out by hand because I don't have a big shot or anything yet. What do you guys use to cut the circles? If you use a dye lot which one? TIA, I've been
wanting to know forever
Old 07-02-2010, 10:18

I agree with the cutting part. Mainly because mine end up more oval then round. But this is a major addiction forming!
Old 07-02-2010, 10:21

Every once in a while I get a little black on some of mine and sometimes I get a lot. If you look at my second picture you will see that some of the darker colored fabric looks black but they really aren't black they are darker in places like maybe the flower is drying out and they look really cool. Everyone is different...some don't have any of the darker areas on them and some have alot...it depends on how close you get it to the flame, how quickly it starts to melt and lots of other things...some of the fabric just melts faster than others...and sometimes I'm not paying attention like I should be

Quote:
Originally Posted by chippychick View Post
I am in the learning process on the singed flowers. Should the edges ever show black or is the idea to just singe "a little"..

Thanks
Old 07-03-2010, 07:31

I made a bunch of red white and blue singed flowers last night, and need to take pics, but the red and blue was from HL and seemed to have black threads mixed in making them darker colors, and those did turn black when I singed them, even a little bit. They were also thinner than the white, and tended to almost burn more. I think I did a pretty good job making it look like they weren't burnt lol

The white was really nice, although it tended to not go in the funky shapes the thinner fabric did, which lent itself well to the finished flower shape, so I'm not sure yet which I prefer!

I've been using the ones that wouldn't work as a flower to start forming a rose, to see how that comes out.

I had to go out and buy a bigger candle, I love these already!
Sponsored Links