http://www.hipgirlclips.com/store/images/mini-pinwheel-bow-snap-clips-22pc.jpg
New product--3' everyday (pinwheel) hair bow/hairbow clips

New products--grosgrain ribbon mini bows
http://www.hipgirlclips.com/affiliate_alt_ads/peony-hair-flower-clips-red-ad.jpg
New product--Silk Geraniums

Go Back   Hip Girl Boutique Free Hair Bow Instructions--Learn how to make hairbows and hair clips, FREE! > Ribbon and Bows > How to make...

How to make... Hairbows, hair clips, bottlecaps, ribbon shirts, flip flop...

Old 06-14-2010, 02:28

Default Re: Q: Making clips...

I partially line all of my clips because they seem to stay in both of my girls hair better than the fully lined clips. I agree with you that fully lined clips look better though. I use shelf liner for my no slip grips and it works wonderful!
Sponsored Links
Old 06-14-2010, 02:42

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnLMommy View Post
I used to fully line clips until this forum, LOL! Then, I read everyone was doing partial line, so I tried it and liked it way better. So, I've been doing them partial ever since. They do slide in better for my girls' hair.

I tend to use double prong for heavier, bigger bows, but that's just my preference.

I'm a Gripzies lover for the the non slip grip. They are relatively cheap, and I don't have to worry about cutting and gluing. I offer them for "free" by request, basically. i put them on my own clips for my girls though. They work great.
I tried a double prong the other day for the first time, thinking I would love them, but for me the sides were more visible than a single prong, and they were harder to line because the ribbon was *just* wide enough. I still have most of the pack I bought left, I will have to make a bow and see how much I notice the sides.

So is the price of your bows already factoring in the no-slip grip? Pricing is the one area I am still not sure of, I've been talking to someone about consigning my items and she wanted prices, I had to give her a rough estimate.

The cutting and gluing can be a pain (literally!), which is another reason I'd rather not use shelf liner. Something I can just peel and stick would be so much easier and faster.
Old 06-14-2010, 02:47

Double pronged clips are the only ones I could find at sally's thats why I got them to be honest...I checked michaels but all they have are small packages with not a whole lot of clips in them and I cant be bothered to spend a fortune on only a few clips. 80 clips for $8.00 at Sally's seemed like a much better deal to me lol I have been trying to keep my eyes out for the single pronged ones at sally's but so far I havent seen them!
Old 06-14-2010, 05:54

Okay so I managed to find the duck hold it stuff (in the package rather than roll) after going to 4 different stores The store it was at was the closest to my apartment lol but now Im wondering do I just stick it on the clip or should I apply hot glue to it as well or will it stick just fine as is? It seems pretty good Also when cutting it how do you go about it to get even right size strips?
Old 06-14-2010, 07:13
Banned

I do both partially lined, and fully lined clips. If I'm attaching a ribbon chulpture to the clippie, then I only partially line since those are uasually used when the childs hair is pulled back in a pony, so it makes it easier to get the clip in.

If I'm just making a tuxedo clippie out of it then I fluuy line them Because they are used more for just pulling back bangs, and to me they look better that way...
Old 06-16-2010, 11:25

This has been so informative, thanks ladies! I have been making my clips fully lined but I was wondering how hard it was to get into hair. I like the look of fully lined, but maybe I will go with the partially lined for ease sake - and thanks for the info on the grips. Decisions, decisions!
Old 06-16-2010, 11:52

I partially line my clips. I like others, find them easier to put in the hair that way. As for the non slip stuff...here is my take on that...at first I was thinking of using the silicone I didn't like how it looked and it was a pain to put on the clip. Next I thought about the shelf liner...I couldn't find the kind with the nice "square" looking grid... and without that nice line to follow I just couldn't cut it straight and make it look "pretty" plus I had to glue it on...then I tried the sticky back craft foam and the Duck Hold-it tape...I still didn't really like the foam and while I liked the Hold It better than anything I had tried I happend to read it was Latex!!!! That really turned me off since I know there are people with latex allergies...I sure didn't want to be responsible for any bad reacations. So now I use the Clip Grips from No Bow No Go (no affilation here just a customer) they have no latex, they are already cut...just peel and stick. I don't put them on ahead of time, but I offer them at check out. That's my story and I'm sticking to it

Diane
Old 06-16-2010, 02:07

I do partially lined now. When I use to fully line them I had a hard time getting them in and out of my daughters hair but I did like the why they looked. I use double prong clips because I think they are easier to line then the single ones. Also I glue a shelf liner no-slip grip in all my clips.

Old 06-17-2010, 08:54

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diane Crafts View Post
I partially line my clips. I like others, find them easier to put in the hair that way. As for the non slip stuff...here is my take on that...at first I was thinking of using the silicone I didn't like how it looked and it was a pain to put on the clip. Next I thought about the shelf liner...I couldn't find the kind with the nice "square" looking grid... and without that nice line to follow I just couldn't cut it straight and make it look "pretty" plus I had to glue it on...then I tried the sticky back craft foam and the Duck Hold-it tape...I still didn't really like the foam and while I liked the Hold It better than anything I had tried I happend to read it was Latex!!!! That really turned me off since I know there are people with latex allergies...I sure didn't want to be responsible for any bad reacations. So now I use the Clip Grips from No Bow No Go (no affilation here just a customer) they have no latex, they are already cut...just peel and stick. I don't put them on ahead of time, but I offer them at check out. That's my story and I'm sticking to it

Diane
Yeah, that was part of my decision w Gripzies as well. I have a close friend whose daughter has a severe latex allergy. Not worth the risk!

Old 06-18-2010, 11:51

I never even thought about latex allergies!! Gah, and I just bought a whole box of this stuff!!

What does everyone else do when they use it? Did anyone else realize they were latex? Do I advertise the no slip grip as latex? Now Im left with even more questions!! lol

I want to buy online but it will have to wait for a while as we are trying to get things ready for the baby so I guess this will have to work for now until I can order some things.
Sponsored Links