key fob hardware marabou cherry-blossom-silk-hair-flower 3/8" double ruffle ribbon free tutorial-bottle caps felt circle http://www.hipgirlclips.com/store/images/3in-spike-18pc-set.jpg

Go Back   Hip Girl Boutique Free Hair Bow Instructions--Learn how to make hairbows and hair clips, FREE! > Ribbon and Bows > How to make...

How to make... Hairbows, hair clips, bottlecaps, ribbon shirts, flip flop...

Old 03-13-2008, 02:36

Smile Yep, another bottlecap question thread...

OK, so I want to try my first bottlecaps...I've got some questions. I'm at square one, so this is my first big question: I'm assuming we can't use the images from the clothing manufacturers...i.e. use Gymboree's pictures of their clothes' details as bottlecap images...is that correct? If not, I just spent several hours drawing images by hand/computer for nothing LOL Anyone know for sure?

Anyway. I printed it, punched it out (my 1" punch is a little bigger I guess cause the image sticks out a bit over the edge, not sure what to do about that. Anyone else have that problem?

So, now I need to seal it, then glaze it, right? Then attach it...these are a lot of work, huh, and I have a feeling it takes a lot to get them right! So, I'd love to hear what work/what doesn't...any tips you might have...I know this info is in threads somewhere, so I can do my homework, but if you feel so inclined, I'd love to hear you weigh in.

Thanks as always....

Last edited by summerq4; 03-13-2008 at 02:39.
Sponsored Links
Old 03-13-2008, 09:50

Default Re: Yep, another bottlecap question thread...

I just started making bottlecaps so I'll try and help. My 1" page punch didn't stick over, that's weird that your did? I'm trying to decide if I should use the page pebbles or the sealnt/resin. I think I'm going to try the page pebbles, just seems like much less work and less smelly. haha. I'm not sure about the images, I'm kinda wondering the same thing. I did go and seach images and used some of them. I can send you some if you'd like. My bottlecaps are now on my website if you want to check them out. Hope this helps and let me know if you need anything else!

Old 03-13-2008, 01:39

Quote:
Originally Posted by mommyknowsbows View Post
I just started making bottlecaps so I'll try and help. My 1" page punch didn't stick over, that's weird that your did? I'm trying to decide if I should use the page pebbles or the sealnt/resin. I think I'm going to try the page pebbles, just seems like much less work and less smelly. haha. I'm not sure about the images, I'm kinda wondering the same thing. I did go and seach images and used some of them. I can send you some if you'd like. My bottlecaps are now on my website if you want to check them out. Hope this helps and let me know if you need anything else!
I love your bottlecaps!! I just went to your site and had a fit!!!!! Where did you get all of those awesome images if you don't mind me asking? If so, I understand..
Old 03-13-2008, 01:58

A lot of them are stickers I found at Hobby Lobby, CVS (I was suprised they actually have some cute stickers), and Wal-Mart. The others I found images online and then just sized them. I still haven't sold any yet. I can't decide if I should do ebay. My website gets ok traffic but I need MORE, haha! If you have any other questions, I'm happy to help!

Old 03-13-2008, 04:30

yeah, there is a girl on ebay that has everything from the gymbo line, I guess she just copied it from the website, I'm too scared to do that. Well, if anyone is ever in need of bottlecaps, keep me in mind!

Old 03-13-2008, 06:02

Quote:
Originally Posted by mommyknowsbows View Post
A lot of them are stickers I found at Hobby Lobby, CVS (I was suprised they actually have some cute stickers), and Wal-Mart. The others I found images online and then just sized them. I still haven't sold any yet. I can't decide if I should do ebay. My website gets ok traffic but I need MORE, haha! If you have any other questions, I'm happy to help!
Do you seal yours? I don't think I have the patience to make them, so I may be sending you some business. I love the look of the bottlecaps, but dread the thought of something else to tackle right now
Old 03-13-2008, 06:40

Thanks for the info, ladies. I'm one of those super paranoid "follow the rules" kind of people LOL , so I just redrew a bunch of the Gymbo images myself on the computer...took a long time, but they turned out pretty cute . I figure that way, they're mine...bummer about my punch. I can't believe it sticks over... I guess I'll be looking for a new one...grr...got to get past the first step before I can get to the resin/sealing part LOL

OK, what else can I do with bottlecaps besides bows? They look kind of funny on most of my bows (bows too small I guess). What size of bows do you usually put bottlecaps on? Is there anything else to do with them...I think I've seen necklaces before...
Old 03-14-2008, 10:11

yes, I'm still trying to decide which way to seal best, I've been using spray sealant on some and then on others I was doing the page pebbles, I can't decide which I like best yet.

I got my 1" punch at Hobby Lobby and it works great, I think it was 8.99 but if you use your 40% off you get a good deal.

I'm part of a Children's Bone Caner Foundation and they are having their anual walk next month and they asked me to make bows & such. I'm going to make bottlecaps with their logo on them and then attach them to earrings and necklaces. I hope they turn out good and sell!!! Sorry this was so long!

Old 03-17-2008, 03:27

okay i have a question i am trying to make my dd bottlecaps to match her gymbo i am not going to sell them so i tried to crop a pic i found on the internet but the pic quality is so poor so can someone give me some hints on how to use paint shop pro 8 to draw my own pics and how to g about making some m2mg i tried googling it but that didnt help much tia
Old 03-18-2008, 11:08

Wish we had a Hobby Lobby...

I've thought of page pebbles...has anyone had a problem with them coming off and are they HTF in 1"?

Wow! What a fun project for bowmaking! (Children's Bone Caner Foundation) I hope everything goes well for you!

Quote:
yes, I'm still trying to decide which way to seal best, I've been using spray sealant on some and then on others I was doing the page pebbles, I can't decide which I like best yet.

I got my 1" punch at Hobby Lobby and it works great, I think it was 8.99 but if you use your 40% off you get a good deal.

I'm part of a Children's Bone Caner Foundation and they are having their anual walk next month and they asked me to make bows & such. I'm going to make bottlecaps with their logo on them and then attach them to earrings and necklaces. I hope they turn out good and sell!!! Sorry this was so long!
Sponsored Links

HipGirl 6pc Set 2.5" Hawaii Hawaiian Plumeria Flower Foam Hair Clip Accessory, Boutique Alligator Clip Assortment. For Bridal Wedding Party Beach Vacation Outfit, Dress. For Girls Teens Kids Adults
HipGirl 6pc Set 2.5" Hawaii Hawaiian Plumeria Flower Foam Hair Clip Accessory, Boutique Alligator Clip Assortment. For Bridal Wedding Party Beach Vacation Outfit, Dress. For Girls Teens Kids Adults.
HipGirl 6pc Set 2.5" Hawaii Hawaiian Plumeria Flower Foam Hair Clip Accessory, Boutique Alligator Clip Assortment. For Bridal Wedding Party Beach Vacation Outfit, Dress. For Girls Teens Kids Adults.