http://www.hipgirlclips.com/affiliate_alt_ads/jewelboxballerina-800.jpg

Go Back   Hip Girl Boutique Free Hair Bow Instructions--Learn how to make hairbows and hair clips, FREE! > Ribbon and Bows > How to make...

How to make... Hairbows, hair clips, bottlecaps, ribbon shirts, flip flop...

Old 06-10-2010, 08:46

Default Copyright Issues When Making Bottle Caps?

I would like to start making some bottle caps to use on boutique bows to sell. Most specifically, I'm thinking NFL team logos. If I find images online and have them printed to use for profit are there copyright issues I need to be aware of? Is this a big deal, or does everyone just kind of do it anyway? Also, is it difficult to find someplace that will print the images? I'm thinking of emailing them to someplace like Office Max and having them printed on sticker paper. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!
Sponsored Links
300-700-forum-banners
wholesale rompers, dresses, bloomers, hat, headbands, leg warmers, flower layers, tulle, boutique clothing and other craft supplies
Old 06-10-2010, 09:34

Default Re: Copyright Issues When Making Bottle Caps?

Quote:
Originally Posted by quinnponders View Post
It is illegal to use any image you do not own the copyright too. NFL images fall into that category. Do people do it? Yes. Do Some people get cease and desist letters? Yes.
Wow, I had no idea this was illegal, I do it all the time It's my biggest seller.. Is there a way we can get them legally?
Old 06-10-2010, 10:03

I was afraid of that. So....the next question is, does anyone know who to contact or how to go about getting permission to use the images?
Old 06-10-2010, 10:28

If you buy stickers with the images on them then you can use that on your bottle cap and you are safe from copyright issues. The image can come off anything you purchase auctually but stickers may be easy to find for you. HTH!
Old 06-11-2010, 04:14

Quote:
Originally Posted by quinnponders View Post
I won't lie, the majority of people you see doing it do it illegally and hope they fall through the cracks. Some do, some don't. Having it online is the quickest way to get caught because organizations do random sweeps. Harley Davidson, for example, takes their copyright extremely serious and have numerous people combing the web for violators. You can contact the organization and see if they grant usage, some do, some don't. There is a huge show here twice a year at a University. They go to every booth and look for violators. You can purchase a fair license for the event but it is a thousand dollars. Pretty pricey and it only covers that event.
This is good to know---I'm especially glad you talked about Harley Davidson. I live very near Sturgis, South Dakota, and the Bike Rally every August would be a HUGE market here. I'll have to some checking; thanks for the info!
Old 06-11-2010, 04:42

Wow, I never knew that anyone would really go check to see if someone was using their logos. I know Walmart makes a big deal about copyrighted images, in fact they wouldn't let me have some images I printed that weren't copyrighted. She looked through everyone of the pics I had and was like, nope, nope, etc. That was the last time I went there even for personal photos. The lady was RUDE!!

So far Walgreens has not given me any trouble. I was just thinking of using some Harkey designs since the hubby just got one. Maybe I will think twice about it.
Old 06-11-2010, 08:13

A bit off topic, but what about team fabrics? I was planning on using some football team themed fabrics for covered button pony o's this fall. Still a no?

Old 06-12-2010, 11:10

From what I have heard around the craft world- if you buy something you can do whatever you want with it. You would be protected by the first-sale doctrine.Some one shared that Disney had lost a case involving the fabric that they sale the other party was protected by the first sale doctrine.
Old 06-12-2010, 11:24

Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
From what I have heard around the craft world- if you buy something you can do whatever you want with it. You would be protected by the first-sale doctrine.Some one shared that Disney had lost a case involving the fabric that they sale the other party was protected by the first sale doctrine.
Very good to know!
Old 06-12-2010, 11:29

Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
nice to know now to find a abby cadabby fabric
Sponsored Links
300-700-forum-banners
wholesale rompers, dresses, bloomers, hat, headbands, leg warmers, flower layers, tulle, boutique clothing and other craft supplies