New product--2.5' Mini Korker Bows
Hip girl boutique 50mm grosgrain ribbon wrapped snap clips for baby girl, toddler, infant, newborn, adult, women, school http://www.hipgirlclips.com/store/images/medium/Shabby-frayed-chiffon-flowers-turq.JPG
new products--dippin dots mini pinwheel bow
hip girl boutique christmas grosgrain satin ribbon collection for holidays

HipGirl Boutique Girls Women 6" Jumbo Large Cheer Bow Elastic Hair Tie Ponytail Holder for High School College Cheerleading (10pc Assorted Solids)

HipGirl 25pc Hair Bow Clips Headbands Gift Basket: Grosgrain Korker Ribbon Alligator Clips + Crochet, Ribbon Wrapped Headbans, For Girls Babies Teens Kids Toddlers Adults. For Pigtails, Ponytails

Go Back   Hip Girl Boutique Free Hair Bow Instructions--Learn how to make hairbows and hair clips, FREE! > Ribbon and Bows > How to make...

How to make... Hairbows, hair clips, bottlecaps, ribbon shirts, flip flop...

Old 06-11-2012, 03:11

Default Re: Copyright Issues When Making Bottle Caps?

I do not make my own bottle cap images. I actually buy them from various sources. This may sound dumb BUT would this NOT fall under the First Sale Doctrine? Considering I bought them?
Sponsored Links
http://www.hipgirlclips.com/affiliate_alt_ads/whimsydoodlegraphics.gif
Old 06-28-2012, 01:29

You can be sure anyone selling digital images of licensed products is doing so illegally. I can't believe that people selling copyrighted images don't know it is wrong. I see people writing disclaimers saying they don't own the image, and that it is for personal use only. It doesn't matter, distributing these pictures is wrong even if you don't charge a dime for it. Even if you are only "charging" for creating the sheet and not the graphics themselves. You are still DISTRIBUTING copyright protected images. Would you be ok with someone creating an image sheet with the cute graphic you use in your logo? It's ok if they offer it for free right? For a company (or a person) to sell an item (for example stickers you buy in a store of mickey mouse) you must buy (and have your product approved and in many times your business, your work conditions etc approved by the person holding the copyright to the images) The company that wants to print the sticker of Mickey Mouse not only has to purchase the license but they have to pay a percentage of each sale to Disney as well. You can be sure Disney, NFL, Ford, etc are not going to allow their logo's and images to be sold DIGITALLY to anyone. Even if they did, I highly doubt people selling image sheets on Etsy, their website or wherever are shelling out $100,000 for a license to sell Hello Kitty images.

Please note this rant was not aimed at the user who posted this question or anyone else curious as to the legality of selling licensed images. I'm glad you have the morals to ask! I just can't believe the big sellers on ETSY or wherever think they are entitled to freely use any image they can get their hands on.
Old 06-28-2012, 01:59

Hmm. I'm going to avoid the First Sale portion of your question. If you are buying an image sheet that was created by the seller ( I mean if the graphics were DRAWN ( or created in photoshop or wherever ) by the seller (and they aren't copying a well known image ie Mickey Mouse) then you are buying an image sheet that is clearly intended for you to create and sell items from it (of course many sellers indicate that their images are for personal use only)

If you are buying an image sheet with obviously copywritten material - Disney, Marvel, Hello Kitty, Sports Teams ETC then I can 99% guarantee you the person sold it to you illegally and if you were to do anything with them it would be illegal as well. But hey so is downloading music right? Everyone does it. (note..that last comment was sarcastic - I am a graphic designer and would not appreciate anyone stealing my graphics just like musicians and actors don't want their movies or music stolen. Reselling the images/mp3s/movies is even worse and a very real crime)

But like I said, if the images were created by the artist with their intentions that the buyer (aka you) would be creating and selling crafts with them.. then you should feel free to do so. Ask the person you bought from or revisit their website if you are unsure.
Old 06-28-2012, 10:03

My images I buy from a couple graphic designers, or so they claim, with the intention of not reselling the image alone but with the intention of using it in a product I create and that is included in the seller's policy. Yes, I have bought images from those graphic designers that they created, along with images that she created using Hello Kitty or others. I truly was asking because I honestly thought that if I bought the bottle caps that she makes, then that I could use them on my bows and that it would fall under that First Sale.

Have a great day!

Quote:
Originally Posted by enlivendesigns View Post
Hmm. I'm going to avoid the First Sale portion of your question. If you are buying an image sheet that was created by the seller ( I mean if the graphics were DRAWN ( or created in photoshop or wherever ) by the seller (and they aren't copying a well known image ie Mickey Mouse) then you are buying an image sheet that is clearly intended for you to create and sell items from it (of course many sellers indicate that their images are for personal use only)

If you are buying an image sheet with obviously copywritten material - Disney, Marvel, Hello Kitty, Sports Teams ETC then I can 99% guarantee you the person sold it to you illegally and if you were to do anything with them it would be illegal as well. But hey so is downloading music right? Everyone does it. (note..that last comment was sarcastic - I am a graphic designer and would not appreciate anyone stealing my graphics just like musicians and actors don't want their movies or music stolen. Reselling the images/mp3s/movies is even worse and a very real crime)

But like I said, if the images were created by the artist with their intentions that the buyer (aka you) would be creating and selling crafts with them.. then you should feel free to do so. Ask the person you bought from or revisit their website if you are unsure.
Old 06-29-2012, 03:51

Unfortunately a lot of sellers misrepresent themselves and their products.
Old 06-29-2012, 04:52

Sadly, the bottle cap image sellers on Etsy using the copyrighted images (such as Disney movies and such) are the ones with the most sells. As a bottle cap image maker myself, I would never sell those because of my fear of getting caught.

As a buyer, I wouldn't buy from a shop selling the copyrighted images. Because, really, all you're doing is promoting their wrong doings!
Old 12-18-2012, 10:46

thank you for all of the information collected in this thread. I found that all of the aswers were very helpful.

Cara
Sponsored Links

HipGirl 6pc Set 2.5" Hawaii Hawaiian Plumeria Flower Foam Hair Clip Accessory, Boutique Alligator Clip Assortment. For Bridal Wedding Party Beach Vacation Outfit, Dress. For Girls Teens Kids Adults
HipGirl 6pc Set 2.5" Hawaii Hawaiian Plumeria Flower Foam Hair Clip Accessory, Boutique Alligator Clip Assortment. For Bridal Wedding Party Beach Vacation Outfit, Dress. For Girls Teens Kids Adults.
HipGirl 6pc Set 2.5" Hawaii Hawaiian Plumeria Flower Foam Hair Clip Accessory, Boutique Alligator Clip Assortment. For Bridal Wedding Party Beach Vacation Outfit, Dress. For Girls Teens Kids Adults.