printed bottle caps fabric tape http://www.hipgirlclips.com/store/images/categories/rhine-stone-flat-back-title-sm.jpg stripe ribbon mini bows 7/8" saddle stitch grosgrain ribbon crochet headband trim

Go Back   Hip Girl Boutique Free Hair Bow Instructions--Learn how to make hairbows and hair clips, FREE! > Ribbon and Bows > How to make...

How to make... Hairbows, hair clips, bottlecaps, ribbon shirts, flip flop...

Old 06-12-2010, 09:31

Default Re: Copyright Issues When Making Bottle Caps?

Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
From what I have heard around the craft world- if you buy something you can do whatever you want with it. You would be protected by the first-sale doctrine.Some one shared that Disney had lost a case involving the fabric that they sale the other party was protected by the first sale doctrine.
Thanks! Good to know.

Sponsored Links
Old 06-12-2010, 09:51

Wow, I am really surprised people arent more aware of copyright. I highly recommend finding a lawyer and paying for an hour or two to get a quick overview of copyright and trademark. I see it simply as the cost of doing business.
Like quinn said, most people on here are doing it illegally. That doesnt make it right and companies can come down hard on violators. I know someone who was on the wrong end of a battle with penn state and the college licensing board.
Old 06-12-2010, 09:54

Quote:
Originally Posted by nhennessy90 View Post
nice to know now to find a abby cadabby fabric
You cant do anything and everything but yes, it does offer some protection-
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/First-sale_doctrine
but it isnt like you can buy stickers and make more stickers on your own from the original ones.
Old 06-15-2010, 12:46

in regards to fabric http://www.tabberone.com/Trademarks/...edFabric.shtml

I would think that if you bought something licensed or not, and didn't signed an agreement that will not resell that products it should be okay to use that for the making of something else. Not to re-print it or duplicate it, but just burn it in the making of another good. Now, I'm not a lawyer so I can be wrong. But as far as I have read and study that it's what seems to be.
As far as downloading images from the internet and printing them to use them for bottle caps, that is infringement. Which really sucks because I would love to use some of the cute images I have making princesses caps and such, oh well
Old 06-15-2010, 12:52

Quote:
Originally Posted by charminglittleladies View Post
Wow, I had no idea this was illegal, I do it all the time It's my biggest seller.. Is there a way we can get them legally?
yes you contact the team or school and ask to buy rights to their logos.

My mom lives in a small college town and has a friend that does the screen printing and such, they bought the exclusive rights to the logos and such and the use of the mascot face and it was 10K..........but no one else can do it so everything that sells in that town that is for that school, is made by them........

I personally dont do anything with schools other than in the colors, dont want to pay the fines if caught, this goes for High Schools as well btw!!!
Old 06-15-2010, 01:00

So why dont you get some fabric with with logos and attach it to the bottle caps...there must be a way to do that and have it look just as good.....just a thought, I dont do bottle caps....

Holiday, Princess, ballet shoes.....

ALL PROUDLY MADE IN THE U.S.A.
Old 06-15-2010, 01:01

I didn't know walmart looked into it so much when you have them sent through the photo dep. I just sent like 20 sheets online to pickup....wonder how many they'll give me. How do they know if you use it for personal use of for resale? I mean some people do it just for their kids, so how can they keep it from you if it's personal use?
Old 06-15-2010, 01:04

Quote:
Originally Posted by mommy0305 View Post
I didn't know walmart looked into it so much when you have them sent through the photo dep. I just sent like 20 sheets online to pickup....wonder how many they'll give me. How do they know if you use it for personal use of for resale? I mean some people do it just for their kids, so how can they keep it from you if it's personal use?
They cant sell them because you are illegally reproducing the images, it doesnt matter if it is for profit or not and they can get into big trouble if they help facilitate copyright violation. They are looking our for their business.
Old 06-15-2010, 01:11

even if you take your own professional portrait photogs of your own kids, you have to sign a waiver with walmart and walgreens (and other places of the like) that states you are the photographer and the pictures are your own work. i know this from taking some photos and having them printed. also, a friend of mine that does photography took pictures of her neice and gave mom the disk, but no release. walmart wouldn't let her have them. images are the intellectual property of the artist and belong to that person. that's why i was surprised that there were so many doing the bottlecap thing with copyrighted images.
Old 06-15-2010, 01:26

darn I guess I spent $4 on nothing lol oh well. I should get 6 of them since they weren't character related or anything. What if you draw your own version of spongebob or another character? I just better stick with ones that were drawn by people lol I want atleast 1 of spongebob for my dd though.

Do you think they will keep the other 6 since they were part of the group of licensed ones or do you think they will give them to me?