Pendant Satin Large Star Flowers Acrylic Rhinestone Disney Bottle Caps 2pc Flatback Resin--Ballet Shoes Hairbows & Hair Clips 1pc Hip Girl Hair Bow Clips--Pink Ballet Shoes 1pc 5.5' Camelia Hair Flower--Hot Pink http://www.hipgirlclips.com/store/images/medium/cherry-blossom-ads.jpg 6pc Large Silk Fairy Hair Flowers--Combo

Go Back   Hip Girl Boutique Free Hair Bow Instructions--Learn how to make hairbows and hair clips, FREE! > Ribbon and Bows > How to make...

How to make... Hairbows, hair clips, bottlecaps, ribbon shirts, flip flop...

Old 03-10-2008, 06:44

Default clippies question..

I'm new to this and just practicing on my daughter. After 2 boys, I'm excited to do girly things!

I've seen alligator clippies lines 2 different ways. One is loose around the prong, while the other is glued in the prong. Any advice on how to glue in the prong? Does it take aspecial type of alligator clip?

I'll try to upload an ex...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg clips.jpg (20.6 KB, 109 views)
File Type: jpg clippies3.jpg (17.9 KB, 107 views)
Sponsored Links
Old 03-10-2008, 07:08

Default Re: clippies question..

Hi, I line my clips like your second pic

www.emilysbows.etsy.com
Old 03-10-2008, 07:31

Hi, I line my clips the second way, just because it is faster, but I believe that the people who attach the ribbon to the middle just put a dab of hot glue or whatever they are using on the little coil that you can see in between the parts that you pinch together and push the ribbon down onto the coil before gluing the top part of the alligator clip (or bottom depending on what side you start with first).

Ladies who do this, correct me if I am wrong.
Old 03-10-2008, 07:33

I line mine like the first pic. I just follow the lines of the prong and add a dab of hot glue there. Hope that makes sense!
Old 03-10-2008, 08:37

thanks everyone! I tried both ways, for some reason the second way was starting to look strange to me. All I was seeing was that end instead of the entire bow- if you know what I mean? I tried gluing to the prong with the fabri-tac- boy what a mess, it looked ok until my son found it & pulled it apart! so I may try again later...
Old 03-10-2008, 08:59

i do it like the first pic... i put glue on the inside, attach the ribbon, then put glue on the other side of the inside, and attach the other side of the ribbon, hopefully this makes some kind of sense!
Old 03-10-2008, 09:05

I also do it like the first. I like that less of the metal is showing. I dab a bit of glue on the top and bottom of the inside part (make sense). I don't put glue on the coil though. Then I just press the ribbon on each side of the glue.

Old 03-10-2008, 09:09

Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
Hi, I line my clips the second way, just because it is faster, but I believe that the people who attach the ribbon to the middle just put a dab of hot glue or whatever they are using on the little coil that you can see in between the parts that you pinch together and push the ribbon down onto the coil before gluing the top part of the alligator clip (or bottom depending on what side you start with first).

Ladies who do this, correct me if I am wrong.
I usually line my clips like the first picture. I put a dab of glue (I use Magna-Tac) on the inside/underside of the pinch areas (the metal end where your thumb and index finger pinch to open the clip). I shove the ribbon in with my index finger and hold a second until it grabs, then continue to the underside of the clip. I wouldn't recommend putting the glue on the coil because the spring is what makes the clip open and close - I would think glue on it might eventually cause it not to work properly (no experience with this, just my opinion).

Either way of lining the clip is correct, it depends on what you prefer. I just like to have all the metal covered, and I think it helps keep the ribbon on the clip better (no risk of getting caught and pulled off, etc.). Both types of clips (i.e. single or double prong) can be done both ways, too.

MichelleB
Old 03-10-2008, 09:14

I do both ways... but now, I just prefer to

1) Line the clip
2) Make bow
3) Wrap the center ribbon on the bow
4) Glue the bow directly on top.

Faster, less pain (holding the clip open..lol)...and...that's it.

I do, do the wrap-around if it's the big bows.

In short, it's a matter of preference...

I'm not all that. I just like the last part.
Old 03-10-2008, 09:16

I glue to the inside of the clip too. I use hot glue, and all the posts I have read on the board have indicated that hot glue is best when glueing to metal. But I have never heard of MagnaTac before. What is it?
Sponsored Links