150-forum-ads
hip girl boutique ballet dance gymnastic skating bun cover rhinestone hip girl boutique 40pc grosgrain ribbon wrapped 2 inch snap clips barrettes hip girl boutique grosgrain ribbon korker for hair bows clips
hip girl boutique 18pc grosgrain mini bow tie hair bow clips for baby infant toddler women adult
hip girl sparkle glitter headbands for dancing ballet stage cheerleading girls women high school college
http://www.hipgirlclips.com/store/images/medium/3in-spike-bows-rainbow.jpg

Go Back   Hip Girl Boutique Free Hair Bow Instructions--Learn how to make hairbows and hair clips, FREE! > Ribbon and Bows > How to make...

How to make... Hairbows, hair clips, bottlecaps, ribbon shirts, flip flop...

Old 06-01-2010, 09:24

Default Flip Flops...To Wrap or Not to Wrap

So I was browsing through Etsy and a few websites looking at flip flops trying to get new ideas for the 20+ pair I've had sitting here for at least 2 years. I only do one or two summer shows and I told myself I WOULD get them done for the two shows I'm doing this year. I've noticed a lot of people are not wrapping or even covering the straps now, they are just adding a flower, bow, etc at the front. I thought to myself YEAAAAA...I hate wrapping, My wraps never seem to lay flat no matter how I try, no matter how many times I stop to glue. So my question is are you wrapping or covering your straps? If you are which do you prefer? And if you wrap how in the world do you wrap them so the ribbon lays totally flat or does that not bother you? It doesn't seem to bother the customer...but it bothers the heck out of me . Am I too picky?
Sponsored Links

HipGirl 6pc Set 2.5" Hawaii Hawaiian Plumeria Flower Foam Hair Clip Accessory, Boutique Alligator Clip Assortment. For Bridal Wedding Party Beach Vacation Outfit, Dress. For Girls Teens Kids Adults
HipGirl 6pc Set 2.5" Hawaii Hawaiian Plumeria Flower Foam Hair Clip Accessory, Boutique Alligator Clip Assortment. For Bridal Wedding Party Beach Vacation Outfit, Dress. For Girls Teens Kids Adults.
HipGirl 6pc Set 2.5" Hawaii Hawaiian Plumeria Flower Foam Hair Clip Accessory, Boutique Alligator Clip Assortment. For Bridal Wedding Party Beach Vacation Outfit, Dress. For Girls Teens Kids Adults.
Old 06-01-2010, 09:47

Default Re: Flip Flops...To Wrap or Not to Wrap

I do not wrap, and I just started covering. The wrapping just looks too hard and I think they look good without it. I use to only put a bow or flower on top and was happy with those. But now that I started covering the straps, I really like those much better.
Old 06-01-2010, 10:18

I have wrapped in the past. This time, I was short on time. I used 7/8 DRR to line the outside of the strap and took a 3/8 print or dot ribbon on top of the duoble ruffle then added a simple bow. They sold like hot cakes this past weekend at my festival. I will be doing more for my June festival.
Old 06-01-2010, 11:15

Thanks. I like the look of the wrapped or covered strap...it looks "finished" to me...but the ones only have an embellishment like a boe or flower seem to be selling just as well and for just as much money...depending on how well the bow etc is done of course. I'm thinking "what a time saver not to do anything to the strap" but then my "other self"...the one that thinks everything needs to be just a little "more complete" thinks "hummmmm "

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlhardison1 View Post
I do not wrap, and I just started covering. The wrapping just looks too hard and I think they look good without it. I use to only put a bow or flower on top and was happy with those. But now that I started covering the straps, I really like those much better.
Thank you...I LOVE the look of the ones covered with the DRR...I don't have any and I think my chances of getting any to have these done by the 13th might be slim to none , but I am thinking I might do that for my July show. Do you use E6000 to glue your ribbon to the flip flop strap? I'm thinking you would need to glue the entire length of the ribbon to the strap. When wrapping I only glue beginning, midpoint and end.
Thank you again for the great tip...I think I'm off to search for some DRR...now to decide what colors I need/want. May I ask how much you sell your flip flops for. I've only sold a couple pair and had no problem with getting $12 for tiny kids ones...I'm thinking $12-$15 this year probably $12 for what I have made with the wrapped...but maybe $15 for them with the DRR (not sure on the price of that ribbon) I maybe way out of line...and I do want to get these flip flops out of my house this year I'm tired of moving them around. Next year NEW flip flops from Old Navy since those seem to be the most popular

Quote:
Originally Posted by bstimpert View Post
I have wrapped in the past. This time, I was short on time. I used 7/8 DRR to line the outside of the strap and took a 3/8 print or dot ribbon on top of the duoble ruffle then added a simple bow. They sold like hot cakes this past weekend at my festival. I will be doing more for my June festival.
Old 06-01-2010, 11:48

I've covered the ones that I have done. I guess you could go either way depending on what the straps look like. I think it looks more creative to wrap though!
Old 06-01-2010, 06:12

The 3 that I've done are wrapped, braid and DRR. I like doing them all. As for the wrap you just have to keep it really really tight when doing it. And I would glue with hotglue about every 6 wraps.
Old 06-01-2010, 10:36

I cover, but I don't wrap I charge $12 for my flip flops but admittedly I don't sell very many. I'm thinking I should either raise my prices (a la Martha Stewart) or lower them, haven't decided which yet. Sorry about the last two pictures, I haven't gotten a chance to put them in my light box yet.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg SANY0120.jpg (34.4 KB, 147 views)
File Type: jpg SANY0124.jpg (30.4 KB, 150 views)
File Type: jpg SANY0126.jpg (34.1 KB, 151 views)
File Type: jpg SANY1452.jpg (36.5 KB, 131 views)
File Type: jpg SANY1455.jpg (47.0 KB, 123 views)
Old 06-01-2010, 11:40

I also like to wrap, braid or cover with drr. It depends on the style i'm going for I get my drr from hairbowcenter.com. They are super fast at shipping it so you could definetly get it and have your flppies done for your show.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 100_4030.jpg (44.6 KB, 134 views)
File Type: jpg 100_4072.jpg (53.7 KB, 126 views)
File Type: jpg 100_4074.jpg (55.7 KB, 128 views)
File Type: jpg 100_4076.jpg (58.0 KB, 131 views)
Old 06-01-2010, 11:45

What type of glue are you ladies using to put the ribbon on?
Old 06-01-2010, 11:49

Quote:
Originally Posted by TinasK View Post
What type of glue are you ladies using to put the ribbon on?
E6000 is the only thing I have used and I love it!!
Sponsored Links
http://www.hipgirlclips.com/store/images/large/portrait-editing-ads-700.jpg