printed bottle caps fabric tape http://www.hipgirlclips.com/store/images/categories/rhine-stone-flat-back-title-sm.jpg stripe ribbon mini bows 7/8" saddle stitch grosgrain ribbon crochet headband trim

Go Back   Hip Girl Boutique Free Hair Bow Instructions--Learn how to make hairbows and hair clips, FREE! > Ribbon and Bows > How to make...

How to make... Hairbows, hair clips, bottlecaps, ribbon shirts, flip flop...

Old 05-28-2010, 08:43

Default Re: Ok...how bad is this...really.

Agreed, I've never personally done it. But if you are paying her advertised price and she doesn't have a disclaimer "please do not buy my product only to take it apart and make one yourself" then I think you are well within your rights to do with it as you please. That being said, don't COPY copy it...know what I mean? Make it your own.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EmileeDesigns View Post
Is anyone else dying to know what's so awesome that you want to make it?? LOL

Some people feel really strongly about this subject. I don't really care one way or another. I've never personally bought something to take it apart and make it, but if that's the only way you can figure it out.... YOU bought the product. Do with it what you want.

Jennifer
Another crafty stay at home mom~www.3aminspirations.com
Sponsored Links
Old 05-28-2010, 09:52

for me, so long as the other person doesnt know that you are doing it I am ok with it. I have had someone come into my home to look at something and pull on stuff and try and pull it apart that was a friend and then turn around and try to make it to sell. Now that bugged me. But if someone bought it from me online and then did it without my knowing I see no harm. Its yours
Old 05-28-2010, 09:56

I'd do it. If it's THAT important to them, they can get a COPYRIGHT!... BAHAHAHAHA! **sigh**

er, I guess I should've said patent. Less funny, though :/

Last edited by polychic; 05-28-2010 at 09:58. Reason: ETA
Old 05-28-2010, 10:24

Quote:
Originally Posted by EmileeDesigns View Post
Is anyone else dying to know what's so awesome that you want to make it?? LOL
Me!

Absolutely nothing wrong with it, this is how enterprise works. As long as you're selling something you made, with your own photos, etc. it's not "stealing".
Old 05-28-2010, 11:07

should be okay for personal use or as long as you put your own spin on the design.
now i want to see the object in question
Old 05-28-2010, 11:11

Anyway you look at it it is cheating! Is it ok for your child to copy off of another persons test? There is a reason there is a plagiarize law.
Old 05-28-2010, 11:21

It's a good question, one I've been wondering about. I think it is quite fine to get inspiration from someone else. I admit to copying ideas I've seen on the web, but I don't sell them and would never claim them to be my own original idea if asked.

Would I purchase something with the sole intention of taking it apart to see how it's made? I don't know. I think if I bought the item directly from the crafter I would have a hard time doing so. I would feel bad. However if it was an item I purchased at say, a boutique or retail store, it wouldn't have that "personal" feel to it and I might consider it.

I guess I'd try to put myself in the designer/crafters shoes and think who I'd feel about it and decide if I could sleep well at night if I was thinking about it.
Old 05-28-2010, 11:30
ksterling628

I would tend to agree with you, however I could see it being a bad thing if I shared this newfound knowledge with everyone. If I have paid her for the product I just don't feel quite as bad about it.

I would like to add however, that I have discovered how to do this without actually purchasing the product. What this tells me is that this isn't necessarily a unique idea because the products to make are readily available for this specific purpose.

So i'm off to embark on ordering some of the materials to make my own. Since I won't actually have hers to copy from, it really will be my own anyways.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wednesday View Post
It's a good question, one I've been wondering about. I think it is quite fine to get inspiration from someone else. I admit to copying ideas I've seen on the web, but I don't sell them and would never claim them to be my own original idea if asked.

Would I purchase something with the sole intention of taking it apart to see how it's made? I don't know. I think if I bought the item directly from the crafter I would have a hard time doing so. I would feel bad. However if it was an item I purchased at say, a boutique or retail store, it wouldn't have that "personal" feel to it and I might consider it.

I guess I'd try to put myself in the designer/crafters shoes and think who I'd feel about it and decide if I could sleep well at night if I was thinking about it.
Old 05-28-2010, 11:45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pabloswhim View Post
I wouldn't feel as badly about something you've purchased...my REAL beef comes from people who openly show up and take pics of my stuff (and pick it apart WITHOUT buying it). The item is usually left unsaleable...and I've received absolutely nothing for my time,effort and inspiration...
There's not much out there that's truly original...
People really do that? Wow I am amazed anyone would have the nerve to do something like that!! Not that I don't believe you...I just wish people had more respect

Now buying it, I don't see anything wrong with that. I am curious by nature, and since I was a small child I would do that sort of thing with my own belongings, take it apart to see how it worked.

People do this all the time in the non-crafting world, and they are praised for being curious and mechanically minded...why is it such a bad thing when we do it for crafts?

Think of all the people that have learned to put together cars, computers, etc. just by taking one apart and building it back up.

These days I also try to work it out without taking things apart, just because I would like to get to still keep the item because it's useful. I'd probably find some way to figure it out without damaging it. I wouldn't go toe to toe with anyone who is selling them though, most of those would be just one-off or for my family.

Last edited by Aeonix; 05-28-2010 at 11:49. Reason: trying to clear up my thoughts
Old 05-28-2010, 11:51

I do have an opinion on this. Take this for what it's worth, it is only my own opinion.
I am ashamed to say that I have copied in the past. I would find ways to justify it to myself. I used to sell designs to an estables bow business. When things got rocky, I decided to go out on my own and start my own line. I didn't set out or intenc to copy. I was just so used to seeing that style of hair accessoires and certain types of methods used, that is what was on my mind so that is what I re-created. I used to make excuses to myself, like she didn't pay me for this design, so I can take that one, if she asks I will tell her that I didn't know that she was selling these, etc. This is NOT like me. I am a very honest person and I learned a big lesson from this. I had my stuff in a boutique that was buying from me wholesale. She went in to the boutique, not sure what was said but you can fill in the blanks, and the boutique dropped me. At first I was so mad, and thought that it was so unjust, then as time went on, I realized that it was fair, and it was just, and that I deserved it. Copying definately brought me bad business carma. I stopped selling for over 2 years. I was so disappointed in my self. Not only becuase what I did was dishonest, but because I have a creative mind, and I have the ability to make something that is truly great and unique.

I have since started a whole new line, new name, new business ID, the whole works. I refuse to copy designs. I think that inspiration is fine, but I want people to be able to tell my work when they see it. I have found that an origianl and unique design sells HANDS DOWN better than copied and over used product ideas. I think that getting inspiration from other peoples ideas is great, but copying is not right. You can do, if you wish bad business carma for yourself. This is also why I am willing to share sources, give advice, give out supplier info. I really think that if someone wants to copy me, they can try, but then again, bad business carma

I am not at all directing the whole bad business carma to you. You are very kind, always willing to help out, share a source, etc. If anyone deserves to use anothers idea, it would be you. If I knew how to make what you were looking for I would tell you

Ok, long soap box novel, but hopefully somebody can learn from MY mistakes and save themselves a lot of money and embarrassment. Thank you.
Sponsored Links