key fob hardware marabou cherry-blossom-silk-hair-flower 3/8" double ruffle ribbon free tutorial-bottle caps felt circle http://www.hipgirlclips.com/store/images/3in-spike-18pc-set.jpg

Go Back   Hip Girl Boutique Free Hair Bow Instructions--Learn how to make hairbows and hair clips, FREE! > Ribbon and Bows > How to make...

How to make... Hairbows, hair clips, bottlecaps, ribbon shirts, flip flop...

Old 05-26-2010, 11:38

Default New to tutu making...have lots of questions.....

So I would like to start making hand tied (knotted?) tutu's....but have several questions....

~What to use for the waist?? I bought some satin ribbon so I can make it adjustable and tie a big bow in front, but what do you all prefer to use?

~How many lengths do you offer? and what are they most commonly?

~If I add ribbons in between the tulle...what type of ribbon? satin? how do you tie it?

~What is an easy way to cut your tulle lengths?

~Best place to buy tulle?

~How do you get the knots clean and not all bunchy? is there a specific type of knot to use?

~How do you assemble? It seems to be kind of hard to assemble, moving around and what nto, so i tied it to my dress form and was tying them on that way...any other ideas?

~What do you charge?

Hopefully someone can help me and answer something on my list, cuz I am over here experimenting and its not as fun as I thought!!

Thanks in advance!

Sponsored Links

HipGirl 6pc Set 2.5" Hawaii Hawaiian Plumeria Flower Foam Hair Clip Accessory, Boutique Alligator Clip Assortment. For Bridal Wedding Party Beach Vacation Outfit, Dress. For Girls Teens Kids Adults
HipGirl 6pc Set 2.5" Hawaii Hawaiian Plumeria Flower Foam Hair Clip Accessory, Boutique Alligator Clip Assortment. For Bridal Wedding Party Beach Vacation Outfit, Dress. For Girls Teens Kids Adults.
HipGirl 6pc Set 2.5" Hawaii Hawaiian Plumeria Flower Foam Hair Clip Accessory, Boutique Alligator Clip Assortment. For Bridal Wedding Party Beach Vacation Outfit, Dress. For Girls Teens Kids Adults.
Old 05-27-2010, 12:07

Default Re: New to tutu making...have lots of questions.....

just search tutu sizes, tutu lengths, tutu knots, tulling suppliers, etc.............tons of stuff will come up ! there are tons of great threads on tutu's (and a few funny mafia ones lol)!

veronica

*I will not tell you your UGLY bow is PRETTY but I will try to help you make it better..............wish someone would of told me my first bows were ugly. I do this out of love not wickedness *
Old 05-27-2010, 08:07

I would recommend buying instructions from angelbabestutus ( from etsy or she has her own website) they will answer most of your questions, they are not expensive and will save you making a lot of mistakes.
I buy my tulle from there too the best quality and price I have foound!

I use her up and down method and this is one of my tutus.
Old 05-27-2010, 08:51

So I would like to start making hand tied (knotted?) tutu's....but have several questions....

~What to use for the waist?? I bought some satin ribbon so I can make it adjustable and tie a big bow in front, but what do you all prefer to use?
I use 1 in non roll elastic and sometimes crochet headbands

I've decided to offer them in two sizes pre made 8 inches for 0-18 months and about 10 inches for 18-up but I ask if there is a preference for length for customs

~If I add ribbons in between the tulle...what type of ribbon? satin? how do you tie it?
I don't do this but I *think* you just tie it on for a tied tutu
Cut a piece of cardboard to half the length you need (if you need 20 inches cut the cardboard 10 inches) wrap it around a bunch of times and cut it on one end. Otherwise a rotary cutter.
I get mine from RABOM (If anyone has a better site I'd love to know!)
~How do you get the knots clean and not all bunchy? is there a specific type of knot to use?
Practice..you have to balance between having it tight enough and not bunching the elastic. I use a square not

~How do you assemble? It seems to be kind of hard to assemble, moving around and what nto, so i tied it to my dress form and was tying them on that way...any other ideas?
I slip it over my leg to tie the tulle on

~What do you charge?
I always wonder if I charge too much or not enough so my prices have changed, right now they are 22..I think I may lower them again.

I got all of this information off the board after searching for the same things, so hopefully having it all in one place helps you out. Good luck!
Old 05-27-2010, 03:42

Thanks so much ladies!

Old 05-29-2010, 04:41

5/29 update:
So I bought some stuff and made my first tutu! take a peek and critique if you like....wont get my feelings hurt I promise! I think it came out pretty cute ;O)

~used 7/8 black satin ribbon....next time i think i will use 1.5 inch

~used 50 yards of tulle!

~just wished my knots were a bit cleaner looking and not soo bunchy :O)

thanks for looking!

and dont mind the awful pics and background it was late at night in my ugly craft room!! hehehe

Quote:
Originally Posted by mycutiepatooties View Post

~What do you charge?

Hopefully someone can help me and answer something on my list, cuz I am over here experimenting and its not as fun as I thought!!

Thanks in advance!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg MAY 2010 866.jpg (41.4 KB, 119 views)
File Type: jpg MAY 2010 865.jpg (77.1 KB, 94 views)

Sponsored Links