New products--peelnstick double-sided-tape for lining clips
http://www.thehairbowcompany.com/assets/images/affiliateBanners/affiliateBanner3.jpg
hip girl boutique 1" metallic gold gliter sparkle ribbon
hip girl boutique grosgrain ribbon wrapped headbands for girls women baby toddler
hip girl boutique goody ponytail pigtail holder for women girl toddler baby

Go Back   Hip Girl Boutique Free Hair Bow Instructions--Learn how to make hairbows and hair clips, FREE! > Ribbon and Bows > How to make...

How to make... Hairbows, hair clips, bottlecaps, ribbon shirts, flip flop...

Old 05-25-2010, 11:41

Default Buying Embroidery Machine - please tell me what accessories I need

Ok, goin to buy my machine here very soon. I am looking at the Brother Pe-770. Can someone please tell me what additional accessories I will need. I will be eventually embroidering onsies and material for buttons etc. I want to make sure I have everything I need though. I don't know if I need huge thread packs for instance, what bobbins, etc. I dont know anything. UGH. Here's the specs:

On-screen typing and design
Variety of text styles includes connected script, run stitch and monogram styles
5mm font ideal for shirt cuffs, pockets and other small areas
Editing and customizing functionality
Adjust height, line spacing and width percentage
Horizontal and vertical flip
Left, center or right alignment
Unlimited undo and redo, cut, copy. paste and delete
Built-in recipes set the parameters of the design
Easily create multiple colors and multiple lines of text
14 decorative fill patterns including satin stitch
Recalculates stitch count for lettering
Provides recommended heights for fonts and symbols
Grid assist for placement and arrangement; zoom view
Choose background colors and fabrics and match thread colors to fabrics
For Brother embroidery machines; works with most other popular brands
Formats: pes, sew, jef, brf, pes v8, pes v6, hus, pcs, shiv, vip, vp3, dst, xxx and exp
Internet access required to activate product key

Last edited by designsbycristi; 05-25-2010 at 11:44.
Sponsored Links
http://www.hipgirlclips.com/store/images/large/portrait-editing-ads-700.jpg
Old 05-25-2010, 11:46

Default Re: Buying Embroidery Machine - please tell me what accessories I need

I have that machine...but its still in the box (we moved right after i bought it and are just getting settled in). So ill be watching this as well!
Old 05-26-2010, 04:44

First you need stabilizer( lots of it). Go online and research what types there are. For knit fabrics I use Sulky Sticky (won't gum up the needle) and pin the item to the stabilizer instead of hooping it. You can get hoop burn on stretchy and delicate fabrics. Get Ball Point needles for knit fabric (sharp will pull and snag) look here for a guide: http://www.allstitch.net/content/emb...guide-1023.cfm

You need thread (I bought mine on Ebay). That's pretty much it to start. Practice on used shirts and things to start so you don't ruin a new item. READ YOUR MANUAL!!! I would write this a hundred times. Get to know your machine and all the things it does. I've had mine for almost 2 years and I still refer to it. There's a lot of REALLY good info in there.

If you machine can use it, I would recommend the magna hoop system. Watch the videos. http://www.sewforless.com/category/M...FVhJ2godnmL7KA

Hooping is what makes embroidery a pain in the rear.

HTH! Have fun!!
Old 05-26-2010, 09:31

Awesome info! I know this is dumb but is the stablizer what is going to keep the thread from going throug the backside of the onsie? I mean can I do a design on one side of a onsie without 1) ripping the seams and having to sew it back together and 2) without the design stitching all the way through to the back on the onsie?

Cristi
Old 05-27-2010, 11:04

I use medium weight stabilizer and the I use 505 spray (I think it's not in front of ne right now) I spray the stabilizer and them stick the shirt to it. I did do pins a few times but I thought it was a pain in the rear. You will flip the shirt inside out and then put it flat down with the inside on the front touching the stabilizer. Then you pull the top layer (which is the back of the shirt up) you will make a little cave. When you do this you should be looking at the front of your shirt or onesie.
Yvonne
Old 05-27-2010, 12:11

Congratulations!!
If you are purchasing from a dealer, take advantage of their classes. There is a wonderful group www.sewforum.com they have lots of free designs and help forums. There should also be a yahoo group for your specific machine. I have a D1 and LOVE it and use it everyday, twice on Sundays!! It is great to have these groups to refer to since I do most of my sewing at 1am!
Do you have software with your machine to transfer designs? Do you have software that will convert designs (from .hus to .pes or .xxx, etc). You are entering a whole new world of terminology!! I stress reading and re-reading your manual.
Have fun and relax! The most important things are hooping correctly (even if you use spray adhesive, you still have to hoop stabilizer), using a good needle, and proper threading. Most problems are solved by checking these three things! I know from experience!
Old 05-27-2010, 12:42

She made a quickie but awesome pic tut on the onesie:
http://hipgirlclips.com/forums/559528-post11.html

Quote:
Originally Posted by designsbycristi View Post
Awesome info! I know this is dumb but is the stablizer what is going to keep the thread from going throug the backside of the onsie? I mean can I do a design on one side of a onsie without 1) ripping the seams and having to sew it back together and 2) without the design stitching all the way through to the back on the onsie?

Cristi
Old 05-28-2010, 08:10

I have found that, for me, it's worth ripping open the side of the onesie and then embroidering, simply beacuse the onesies curls up on the hoop and can get caught in the machine. To prevent that you have to sit and actually hold it back. Unsewing it allows me to sit and watch it (while I do computer work). The bigger the shirt the better it lays flat. Some things you just have to babysit more.

Stabilizer is used to stabilize the fabric while embroidering. When you hoop an item the hooped item must be tight, like a drum.

The thing to keep in mind with spray stablizers, my dad uses them, is you usually need to be in a well ventilated area and you must do it in some kind of contained area. You're spraying something sticky so you need to keep it from hitting the floor or other area around what you're spraying. My dad uses a box with high sides in the garage. Too much for me with a baby at home. It's easier to use the sulky stick and pin a few times. But that's just me. Everyone finds what they like. Just really read up online and decide what's best for you.
Old 05-28-2010, 08:17

You ladies rock! Thank you so much for all the information. This helps a ton!
Old 05-29-2010, 09:21

Bobbin thread!! Don't buy cheap!!
Sponsored Links
300-700-forum-banners
wholesale rompers, dresses, bloomers, hat, headbands, leg warmers, flower layers, tulle, boutique clothing and other craft supplies