new products--lined 30mm snap clips--printed grosgrain ribbon
Offray Dr. Seuss Craft Ribbon: 18 Feet 7/8 Inch Satin Fabric Craft Ribbon For Gift Package Wrapping,Hairbow Clips,Sewing,Wedding,Scrapbook,Boy Girl Baby Shower-(2x3yd Thing One Thing Two New Fish)
New products--paper bow cards
New product--clear shopping bags
New products--7/8' peace sign ribbon
Hipgirl 36 Yards 1/8" Satin Fabric Ribbon Set, Double Face For Gift Package Wrapping, Double Bar Barrette Clip Making, Crafting, Sewing, Wedding Decor, Boy Girl Baby Shower-(18x2yd Boutique Ribbons)
new products--gymbo dot grosgrain mini bows-diy
http://www.hipgirlclips.com/store/images/20pc-korker-ribbon-combo.jpg

Go Back   Hip Girl Boutique Free Hair Bow Instructions--Learn how to make hairbows and hair clips, FREE! > Ribbon and Bows > How to make...

How to make... Hairbows, hair clips, bottlecaps, ribbon shirts, flip flop...

Old 05-22-2010, 12:48

Default About Rio doming Resin and Bottle Caps

I just realized how it is I get them so they don't bleck up.

i let the resin set for about 2 minutes in the middle of the cap, then i use a toothpick to "pull" the resin to the edge 9might need to dip the toothpick in the resin you mixed to get a bit more on and after that, i take the toothpick and coax the resin around the side to cover the picture and the side of the metal completely.

Also, make sure you don't put too much resin on top or it will over flow. I use a drop about half a dime in diameter.

Also, I have never once had trouble with bubbles. to do this, i make sure i fold the mixture together very GENTLY and let it sit for about 5 minutes before i put it on the caps.

Hope that helps a bit, I will take pics when I have time

This is PART of the entire Bottle Cap/Glass Tile/ Metal Tray tutorial that I am working on, it will take you from start to finish, flattening them to adding beads etc. But gotta wait til my computer is fixed with the programs on it to do that

Organize your stuff on a cookie sheet, I got some cheap ones at Walmart that I use ONLY for crafting. You can line it with foil but once you get the hang of it you wont need that. Figuring out how much to put on is the hardest part and a bit of a dance. The dollop of resin (hehehe, singing the song yet?) needs to be large enough to cover the whole surface but yet small enough to not run over. So that said, it is a tightrope walk to find that. I Start with about a half of a dime size and can always add more if needed. More details about materials and such in the tutorial!!!

here is about the size of the dollop

Then I do a few with dollops and come back to the first, this gives it a little time to set up but it is still liquid enough to move as I pull it with a tooth pick or Popsicle stick. Coax it out to the edge (be nice and it will cooperate :P )

Another pic of drawing it out to the edge. Make sure you are taking it all the way out to the edge and cover it so that the image will not be curled or able to be pulled off.

Last edited by ThreeBlessingsBowtique; 06-15-2010 at 05:56.
Sponsored Links

Old 05-22-2010, 11:03

Default Re: About Rio doming Resin and Bottle Caps

so i see that was totally helpful.......lol
Old 05-22-2010, 11:06

i need a visual lol, i have a full bottle of the stuff ive used it once got bubbles and gave up haha
Old 05-22-2010, 11:10

Still too afraid to try resin. Just bought the sticker domes and they are kind of sticky, not hard. Also tried diamond glaze and that was a waste. Kind of scared to try resin. But if I do I will keep your tips in mind

Old 05-22-2010, 11:10

its helpful to me. i picked up some bottle caps from a friend that was putting the resin on for me. She messed them up big time. So from now on im doing my own..
Old 05-22-2010, 11:18

Thanks for the tips! I have been wanting to try this, but haven't ordered the stuff yet. Someone had offered to do a group buy so we could get them cheaper & save a bit on shipping, but apparently that never happened since I've seen no traffic on the subject since.

How many caps does a bottle of this stuff do, do you think? Just wondering

Thanks!!

Alyssa

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThreeBlessingsBowtique View Post
I just realized how it is I get them so they dont life up.

i let the resin set for about 2 minutes in the middle of the cap, then i use a toothpick to "pull" the resin to the edge 9might need to dip the toothpick in the resin you mixed to get a bit more on and after that, i take the toothpick and coax the resin around the side to cover the picture and the side of the metal completely.

Also, make sure you don't put too much resin on top or it will over flow. I use a drop about half a dime in diameter.

Also, I have never once had trouble with bubbles. to do this, i make sure i fold the mixture together very GENTLY and let it sit for about 5 minutes before i put it on the caps.

Hope that helps a bit, I will take pics when I have time
Old 05-23-2010, 02:40

Quote:
Originally Posted by idahomommyof4 View Post
Thanks for the tips! I have been wanting to try this, but haven't ordered the stuff yet. Someone had offered to do a group buy so we could get them cheaper & save a bit on shipping, but apparently that never happened since I've seen no traffic on the subject since.

How many caps does a bottle of this stuff do, do you think? Just wondering

Thanks!!

Alyssa
ive done close to 100 things and am not quite half way through mine so a ToN
Old 06-10-2010, 12:33

ever got a chance to take pics??
Old 06-13-2010, 11:56

bumping for some folks that have asked
Old 06-13-2010, 11:56