5/8" polka dot grosgrain ribbon

New products--Crochet headbands

Go Back   Hip Girl Boutique Free Hair Bow Instructions--Learn how to make hairbows and hair clips, FREE! > Ribbon and Bows > How to make...

How to make... Hairbows, hair clips, bottlecaps, ribbon shirts, flip flop...

Old 03-08-2008, 10:13
Default Stupid question

If a product says it strecthes to 50% of it's size and you want to make a headband out of it, how do you figure out how much you need?

Let's say the girls head is 20 inches, do you cut the ribbon to 10 inches since it should strecth out another 10 inches? I am totally confused by this.
Sponsored Links
Old 03-08-2008, 10:19
Default Re: Stupid question

Usually you don't need to use that much of the stretch factor for an elastic material. It would be like stretching plain elastic to it's limit and using that size as a headband - you'd cut off your brain circulation from the elastic trying to unstretch back to it's regular size. Besides if you don't leave any extra stretch, it'll be really hard to get on and off.

When I make elastic lace headbands, I cut the length to the exact head measurement and then overlap by 1/2" which will create just enough stretch on the head to hold it on, still leave plenty of room to grow, and not make an indention mark on their little noggin.
Have a great day! ~ Tonya
Old 03-08-2008, 10:24
Default Re: Stupid question

That would be 100% of its size. If you could 10 inches you can expect it to stretch 50% of that which is 5 inches

Duh, of course you are right, I've forgotten how to do basic math, I'll blame it on my momnesia.

Okay so ideally I should just cut it to the proper lenght (i.e, head is 20 inches, cut 20 inches) and then overlap it by half an inch? Now is that half an inch on each side for a total of one inch or a fourth inch on each side for a total of half an inch?
Sponsored Links