New products--peelnstick double-sided-tape for lining clips
http://www.thehairbowcompany.com/assets/images/affiliateBanners/affiliateBanner3.jpg
hip girl boutique 1" metallic gold gliter sparkle ribbon
hip girl boutique grosgrain ribbon wrapped headbands for girls women baby toddler
hip girl boutique goody ponytail pigtail holder for women girl toddler baby

Go Back   Hip Girl Boutique Free Hair Bow Instructions--Learn how to make hairbows and hair clips, FREE! > Ribbon and Bows > How to make...

How to make... Hairbows, hair clips, bottlecaps, ribbon shirts, flip flop...

Old 05-30-2010, 03:39

Default Re: Prices...need to up them, I think??!?!

are your prices wholesale or retail? do you do wholesale?
Sponsored Links
http://www.hipgirlclips.com/affiliate_alt_ads/jewelboxballerina-300.jpg
Old 05-30-2010, 04:28

For the things I make, my rule of thumb is at LEAST 2x my cost to make them for wholesale and then 3-4x cost to make them for retail. For the plain single colored bow of any kind, I use the same formula, then for retail round it up or down to be however many inches the bow is wide, plus $1. So a 3" bow will be $4, 5" bow will be $6. I tweak it for my market, but for me anyway, you won't see a 2" bow for less than $2 for sure. To me the smaller the bow the more difficult it is to make.
Old 05-30-2010, 04:37

Quote:
Originally Posted by grayce View Post
are your prices wholesale or retail? do you do wholesale?
These are retail prices. I will edit my op to show that - I didn't think to put it on there. I have done one wholesale order and am working on another for the same lady. I have only done my simple stacked bows that aren't shown in op. Here is are pics of my first wholesale order. I don't do many because I work full time and it takes awhile for me to get an order done.

Old 05-30-2010, 04:40

Sorry i can't help, but they are all so cute!!!! I would love them for my girls!
Old 05-30-2010, 04:51

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evo4Evil View Post
Sorry i can't help, but they are all so cute!!!! I would love them for my girls!
Ah, how sweet!! Thank you very much!!
Old 05-30-2010, 04:59
Banned

pricing depends on material and labor. I charge 20.00 an hour for my labor. If I can make 6 in am hour. Thats 3.33 a bow. then I add my material cost for each bow. 58 cents in material and 3.33 in labor is 3.91 so i would chare a min of 4.00 for this pretend bow. If you want to make your buisness work you MUST charge for your time.
Old 05-30-2010, 05:22

Quote:
Originally Posted by lissapell View Post
pricing depends on material and labor. I charge 20.00 an hour for my labor. If I can make 6 in am hour. Thats 3.33 a bow. then I add my material cost for each bow. 58 cents in material and 3.33 in labor is 3.91 so i would chare a min of 4.00 for this pretend bow. If you want to make your buisness work you MUST charge for your time.
I totally understand. The problem is that I have no idea how many I can make in an hour. I work full time so I only work on bows in the evening and on the weekend. I normally don't get a full hour to sit down and work. I usually have to stop for something - kids, dh, etc.
Old 05-31-2010, 12:34

$3.00/4.00 each

$5.00/7.00

$8.00ea-14.00 set

$3.00/4.00

this is what I would do... you really need to figure out your cost of the materials. once you KNOW to the penny what a bow costs to make you will be able to figure your pricing better.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MelissaTBC
For the things I make, my rule of thumb is at LEAST 2x my cost to make them for wholesale and then 3-4x cost to make them for retail
so tell me what about your time? you wholesale for the cost of materials PLUS the cost to replace... so you are working for FREE!!! BAD bow lady bad! you and every OTHER bow lady that is working like this need to STOP IT! you should be wholesaling at 3-4x cost and retailing at 6-10x cost

YOUR TIME IS $$$ when you work for free you reduce everyones business. and then you become discouraged that you arent making any money and are always needing to buy supplies
Old 05-31-2010, 06:59

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaneohegirl View Post
$3.00/4.00 each

$5.00/7.00

$8.00ea-14.00 set

$3.00/4.00

this is what I would do... you really need to figure out your cost of the materials. once you KNOW to the penny what a bow costs to make you will be able to figure your pricing better.

so tell me what about your time? you wholesale for the cost of materials PLUS the cost to replace... so you are working for FREE!!! BAD bow lady bad! you and every OTHER bow lady that is working like this need to STOP IT! you should be wholesaling at 3-4x cost and retailing at 6-10x cost

YOUR TIME IS $$$ when you work for free you reduce everyones business. and then you become discouraged that you arent making any money and are always needing to buy supplies
LOL, no, I'm not working for free. I add in an amount depending on what I'm making, to my cost of making my items. It all goes together to come up with the final "cost of the item" that I then multiply by 2 or 4. I should have clarified that. I'm not working for free, I have too many kids to do that!
Old 05-31-2010, 07:30

Quick question for you...how do you make the ribbons with the graphics? Do you print it up on iron-on paper? Is there an issue with ink or anything when you do this? Also, where do you generally get your graphics? Thanks for the info.
Sponsored Links
http://www.hipgirlclips.com/store/images/large/portrait-editing-ads-700.jpg