new products--lined 30mm snap clips--printed grosgrain ribbon
Offray Dr. Seuss Craft Ribbon: 18 Feet 7/8 Inch Satin Fabric Craft Ribbon For Gift Package Wrapping,Hairbow Clips,Sewing,Wedding,Scrapbook,Boy Girl Baby Shower-(2x3yd Thing One Thing Two New Fish)
New products--paper bow cards
New product--clear shopping bags
New products--7/8' peace sign ribbon
Hipgirl 36 Yards 1/8" Satin Fabric Ribbon Set, Double Face For Gift Package Wrapping, Double Bar Barrette Clip Making, Crafting, Sewing, Wedding Decor, Boy Girl Baby Shower-(18x2yd Boutique Ribbons)
new products--gymbo dot grosgrain mini bows-diy
http://www.hipgirlclips.com/store/images/20pc-korker-ribbon-combo.jpg

Go Back   Hip Girl Boutique Free Hair Bow Instructions--Learn how to make hairbows and hair clips, FREE! > Ribbon and Bows > How to make...

How to make... Hairbows, hair clips, bottlecaps, ribbon shirts, flip flop...

Old 05-19-2010, 03:25

Default Re: Rounded (Cupped) Kanzashi Flowers HELP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diane Crafts View Post
I have seen some of this style flower that were soooo BEAUTIFUL posted here and I have searched for the instructions for MONTHS...even though I think they probably have been posted somewhere (or maybe a link for them). OK I finally found instructions...I know how to fold the square of fabric to make the petal so it cups YIPPEEE. And it took me about an hour to make 2 flowers to put on a pair of flip flops. I need HELP putting these things together...I know I must be doing something wrong when I string the petals on my thread and "try" to make them look like a flower. My directions say I can either pin or take a few stitches to hold them together till I get all my petals completed for the flower. I pinned the first ones (7 petals for each flower)...then cut off the excess at the bottom and started stringing them to make the flower...but what a mess I ended up with...It was difficult to get them to actually come together to look like a flower. If I pulled it tight they would not lay flat and the petals would not open up. If I left them looser they wouldn't really stay like a flower and the thread showed inbetween them and they were really flimsy and floppy. It seemed like each petal needed to be stitched to each other rather than like beads and strung together, but the directions didn't say to do that. Can someone tell me how you do it PLEASE. I LOVE these flowers and want to make more. Actually I want to use the gazillion squares of fabric I have already cut but I am about to pull my hair out. It should not take over an hour to "try" to make one flower...I still don't have my 3rd flower done and even though I put the other two on the flip flops they are not my best work. I hope all my gibber jabber makes some kind of sense and someone can figure out what I'm doing wrong.
Thanks,

Diane
HI, I found too that if you use a spray starch on your squares after you cut them and let them dry, it holds the fold better and looks nicer. If you cut the bottom off closer to your string threaded on the petals too, it is easier to form into a flower. I cut my squares for my petals about 2 3/4 inches-3 inches and use about 8 petals on the flower. That seems to be a good amount to form a cute flower. I'm attaching a picture of one of mine.
Also, here's a link to another flower with a slightly different fold.
http://kanzashi-in-bloom.com/blog
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCF4016.jpg (66.5 KB, 32 views)
Sponsored Links
Old 05-19-2010, 05:10

The final tie on those boogers is the hardest part. I can get it all down except that. Well actually my MIL and SIL came over and we spent 6 hours with the Kanzashi Flower in Bloom book and STILL couldn't get it. We can get as far as tying and thats it.

Cristi
Old 05-20-2010, 09:06

Hi,
I love your flower. I have been using 5, 6 and 7 petals depending on the look I want and 2" squares which are a devil to work with...the bigger the square the easier it will be to close the circle . Also the number of petals makes a difference...too few and it is hard to complete your circle too many it is hard to open the petals....ask me how I know this You are right...spray starch is your friend....I like to starch my fabric before I cut it...starching all those little squares is a pain...just my opinion but I cut out about 150 squares and I didn't like like standing at my ironing board starching all of those little guys. Much much easier to starch a nice large piece of fabric
Thanks for the link....I love it. I have it bookmarked and I'm going to try those the next time I'm doing Kanzashi flowers.

Diane

Quote:
Originally Posted by deesurf View Post
HI, I found too that if you use a spray starch on your squares after you cut them and let them dry, it holds the fold better and looks nicer. If you cut the bottom off closer to your string threaded on the petals too, it is easier to form into a flower. I cut my squares for my petals about 2 3/4 inches-3 inches and use about 8 petals on the flower. That seems to be a good amount to form a cute flower. I'm attaching a picture of one of mine.
Also, here's a link to another flower with a slightly different fold.
http://kanzashi-in-bloom.com/blog
Old 05-20-2010, 09:25

Cristi, you are so right...that final tie is torture. I spent many hours on that and sometimes I still don't get it. There are a number of things that help...the fabric you use...not too stiff not too flimsy...cutting the tip off fairly close to the needle (I cut mine while it is still on the needle and not when it is pushed all the way down on the thread...just personal preference)...I have a long needle so I leave all my petals on the needle and make sure all my petals are cut fairly even at the bottom...then push them all down on the thread, not pulling them too tight or too loose when forming your circle...I try to lay mine flat on the table so the ends make a cirlce then tie the thread but don't pull so tight that you can't open the petals...this can be a real challenge. I don't get every flower right, sometimes I have to restring them and sometimes I have to add another petal, sometimes that flower is a LOSS . Another thing is don't put your needle too high up on the petal when threading it or the petal won't open nice. And if you don't catch the little triangel part (in the back) with your needle and thread you can glue those down. I think that's all the tips I have right now.

Diane

Quote:
Originally Posted by designsbycristi View Post
The final tie on those boogers is the hardest part. I can get it all down except that. Well actually my MIL and SIL came over and we spent 6 hours with the Kanzashi Flower in Bloom book and STILL couldn't get it. We can get as far as tying and thats it.

Cristi
Sponsored Links