New products--small fold over bow card for craft show
Hipgirl 20pcs 1.75 Inch Hair Clips Barrettes--Boutique No Slip Grip Metal Babies Girls Todders Teens Women Grosgrain Ribbon Lined Single Prong Alligator Clip With Teeth, Assorted Beauty Accessories
HipGirl DIY Bulk Plain Craft Plastic Headbands--Create Individualized and Personalized Girls Women Hair Accessories (30pc 1/2" (11 mm) Inch Ivory Non - Tapered)
http://www.hipgirlclips.com/affiliate_alt_ads/jewelboxballerina.gif
New products--hip girl clips
http://www.hipgirlclips.com/store/images/30mm-webbing-dk-pink.jpg
New products--daisy new colors

Go Back   Hip Girl Boutique Free Hair Bow Instructions--Learn how to make hairbows and hair clips, FREE! > Ribbon and Bows > How to make...

How to make... Hairbows, hair clips, bottlecaps, ribbon shirts, flip flop...

Old 05-15-2010, 12:16

Default How do you handle...

customers who ask where you get stuff or tell you they are going to start making and selling this stuff as well?

A woman made an order through my mom today then announced she is going to start up. The only things that bother me about it are that she wouldn't have thought about it had she not seen me doing this, and we live in a VERY small town. There are SO many crafts to make and sell out there and she picks this one. Really? I had another woman ask me where I got my flowers because I "inspired" her to make her own. I told her I get them in bulk and mentioned hobby lobby. Sigh.

The first lady also told my mom how there is information and people to help her learn how to do these things all over the internet I wonder if she'll show up here? haha

ETA: I was also wondering how far ahead you book shows? Now that there is competition I'm thinking I need to do it ASAP?
Sponsored Links
300-700-forum-banners
wholesale rompers, dresses, bloomers, hat, headbands, leg warmers, flower layers, tulle, boutique clothing and other craft supplies
Old 05-15-2010, 12:36

Default Re: How do you handle...

I don't worry about it, for one it's a free county, secondly theres enough money out there for everyone. You can't stress about this stuff, just concentrate on your own business and don't worry about what she's doing.

Think of how many clothing brands there are out in the world.
Old 05-15-2010, 12:40

Eh, it happens. I live in a tiny town too. We have a small market, but not an actual grocery store. So I feel the small tiny town I am booked for a show in July in the town over. I plan on branching out
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/...Nmd0E6MQ#gid=0

FACEBOOK GROUP FOR AWESOME BUYS:
http://www.facebook.com/groups/182211411884577/
www.PamperedPrincessPretties.com (Wholesale supplies)
Old 05-15-2010, 12:56

I wish her well, I was just frustrated at the way she approached it I guess. I would honestly be happy to help her and give her information if she asked, but she came off condescending about how easy it all is. I'm not even sure why she ordered from me the way she was talking. Maybe it was just to be nice and order to approach it well?
I mentioned today that I'll just be super nice and give her all the information I can, but I had a few people tell me not to.
The lady I told about buying in bulk was only interested in making one flower, so I didn't have anywhere better to direct her...

I actually do some fairs out of town, our town only has one and it has something like ten booths
Old 05-15-2010, 08:59

I don't think you need to give her all your info! Especially when someone says they would like to start doing the same thing. I wouldn't have the nerve to walk up to someones booth and ask them where they buy their supplies or how they make something. Buying it and taking it home is one thing. And, yes it is a free country and sure there will be others learning from you but you don't have to hand it all to them. they can do a little work just like the rest of us did. And this can be done in a tasteful way, it doesn't have to be nasty. I had a girl put on one of my rings and take a pic with her phone. She pretended to be sending it to friends to say it was her engagement ring. Some things you can't do anything about, but you don't have to tell them all of your sources!!
Old 05-15-2010, 07:13

I answer people vaguely when they ask where I get things or learn things. I never kie, I just don't spell things out. When they say it;s easy, I just reply with you should see all my practice bows, when I started I thought it would be easy too. Then tell how saturated the market is and smile and walk away. There is always someone trying to do the same thing. At least she bought stuff instead of coming into your booth and picking it apart with no purchase. I use moments like this to get myself motivated to make my etsy better or design a new style of bow, etc. But sometimes it still bothers me!!
Old 05-15-2010, 10:00

Where do you buy your supplies?

1. From a wholesale distributor with a $1000.00 minimum.
2. From a friend in the business.
3. From the factory.
4. I know some people...

Where did you learn how to make your bows?

1. I did a lot of research.
3. Private lessons.
4. My grandmother.

Choose one from each list, and practice saying with a straight face.
Old 05-16-2010, 12:45

The first craft show I did I had one tutu out as an example, I had like four older women come and pick it apart to see how it was made. I was like, seriously? Maybe I should make a tut and sell it haha. No pictures though!

I really do need to kick it into high gear with my website. I had an etsy that went inactive because of no sales I guess, so I was going to try an actual site now but right now I'm working on stuff for a craft show. It seems my bow related to do list is never ending! I really thought it'd be easy in the beginning, too. I was thinking about it, that girl better be prepared to drop some serious cash. I never realized how much I spent on this stuff until I added it up for taxes I didn't show hubby the total to say the least!

And Dede, love it! Funny thing is, don't have to practice some of those with a straight face because they're true
Old 05-16-2010, 06:56

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dede View Post
Where do you buy your supplies?

1. From a wholesale distributor with a $1000.00 minimum.
3. From the factory.
4. I know some people...

Where did you learn how to make your bows?

1. I did a lot of research.
3. Private lessons.
4. My grandmother.

Choose one from each list, and practice saying with a straight face.
Awesome answers, I have used a few of these, but I now decided to start selling some of my supplies since I buy in bulk now.
Old 05-16-2010, 10:14

Quote:
Originally Posted by KayeLle View Post
Awesome answers, I have used a few of these...
The best thing about answers like these is that they don't invite further comment. If you're vague, people will keep badgering you. Remember, they're not asking to be polite.
Sponsored Links
300-700-forum-banners
wholesale rompers, dresses, bloomers, hat, headbands, leg warmers, flower layers, tulle, boutique clothing and other craft supplies