New products--alligator clips with teeth
Free bottle cap tutorial/instructions--sealing bottle caps
New products--3' star grosgrain ribbon
http://www.hipgirlclips.com/store/images/40yd-solid-grosgrain-ribbon-combo.jpg
New products--hip scottie III
http://www.hipgirlclips.com/store/images/24pc-inter-daisy-hb-cmb.jpg

Go Back   Hip Girl Boutique Free Hair Bow Instructions--Learn how to make hairbows and hair clips, FREE! > Ribbon and Bows > How to make...

How to make... Hairbows, hair clips, bottlecaps, ribbon shirts, flip flop...

Old 05-03-2010, 01:53

Default What to do when E6000 doesn't seem to work?

I attached a bunch of plastic embellishments to lined clips with E6000. I held them together with a clothes pin for a minimum of 12 hours (some longer). I heard from a customer today that one of them came off. Then today the one that my daughter was wearing came apart, too. And when I touched it where it came apart it was gooey- not hard. The plastic embellishments were purchased at Micheal's in the section where they sell the hair clips.

Any thoughts about what I'm doing wrong or if I should use a different product? I'm not sure how to attach a picture on here. If anyone can tell me how I'll add pictures.
Sponsored Links
http://www.hipgirlclips.com/store/images/large/portrait-editing-ads-700.jpg
Old 05-03-2010, 02:32

Default Re: What to do when E6000 doesn't seem to work?

I've had similar experiences with e6000. I try to avoid using it wherever possible, but that is mainly because of the warning labels all over the package!
I've noticed that it can go a little rubbery, and then peel off.
Try sticking your resin to felt first with the e6000, and then use hot glue to stick the felt backed resin to the clip. Should hopefully fix the problem! If it doesn't, then I'm lost :-(

Old 05-03-2010, 03:09

I don't know where you're located but E6000 doesn't seem to work when there's high humidity for some reason. I don't know what the weather was like where you are but I noticed a pattern; on rainy or cloudy days it won't set at all. On other days it works perfectly...go figure. I guess it's just hit or miss. I'm looking for a good permanent adhesive myself, b/c hot glue doesn't last in the long run (after a while it pops off) and if oil-based hair products are used with it, it deteriorates. If anyone out there has a miracle product...please share!
Old 05-03-2010, 03:30

I am in the same boat. I am horrified to see that some of my ribbon is coming off the flip flops I made for myself and I already sold a few pairs, ugh! I am surfing the net for the best glue and I just ordered something called Miracle Glue. It is supposed to bond anything and everything and is sold at trade shows for boaters (yes its waterproof) so I am praying this will work. I paid $16 for a 20 gram bottle. If anyone else has any ideas, let me know!
Old 05-03-2010, 03:37

Well, that would explain it! I'm in NC. And although I made the clips on a low humidity day several weeks ago, today the humidity levels are in the 90s as it is sprinkling on and off all day. UGH- well, I'm glad I figured this out before I sold many of them. It just sucks that I already made them all! Let us know about that Miracle Glue. And has anyone used planned ol' Super Glue?
Old 05-04-2010, 09:32

please let us know about the miracle glue. i live in st. louis and the humidity will be at least 90% all summer. i use e6000 on flip flops and really dont want to have these returned!
Old 05-04-2010, 09:48

Hmmm ... I haven't had any problems yet. Don't remember if I made anything with it during a rainy day or not. Must work the same as ET Lite ... if it's humid or rainy, you can FORGET it coming out right ... kind of like baking. LOL
Old 05-04-2010, 09:52

I would get yourself a new bottle. Things need to cure for at least 24 hours.

I just pieced a handle back together on my coffee mug and it ran through the dishwasher and survived. Sometimes less is more with that glue.

www.thequirkylittleboutique.com
Old 05-04-2010, 09:53

Quote:
Originally Posted by Judy74 View Post
I would get yourself a new bottle. Things need to cure for at least 24 hours.

I just pieced a handle back together on my coffee mug and it ran through the dishwasher and survived. Sometimes less is more with that glue.
I agree.
Old 05-04-2010, 10:00

I used E6000 on some Old Navy flip flops around the edges and 2 days later, the ribbon peels right off. It only peeled on the rubber pairs ?

HipGirl 6pc Set 2.5" Hawaii Hawaiian Plumeria Flower Foam Hair Clip Accessory, Boutique Alligator Clip Assortment. For Bridal Wedding Party Beach Vacation Outfit, Dress. For Girls Teens Kids Adults
HipGirl 6pc Set 2.5" Hawaii Hawaiian Plumeria Flower Foam Hair Clip Accessory, Boutique Alligator Clip Assortment. For Bridal Wedding Party Beach Vacation Outfit, Dress. For Girls Teens Kids Adults.
HipGirl 6pc Set 2.5" Hawaii Hawaiian Plumeria Flower Foam Hair Clip Accessory, Boutique Alligator Clip Assortment. For Bridal Wedding Party Beach Vacation Outfit, Dress. For Girls Teens Kids Adults.