http://www.hipgirlclips.com/store/images/mini-pinwheel-bow-snap-clips-22pc.jpg
New product--3' everyday (pinwheel) hair bow/hairbow clips

New products--grosgrain ribbon mini bows
http://www.hipgirlclips.com/affiliate_alt_ads/peony-hair-flower-clips-red-ad.jpg
New product--Silk Geraniums

Go Back   Hip Girl Boutique Free Hair Bow Instructions--Learn how to make hairbows and hair clips, FREE! > Ribbon and Bows > How to make...

How to make... Hairbows, hair clips, bottlecaps, ribbon shirts, flip flop...

Old 04-29-2010, 12:27

Default Need help... how to make Minnie Ear clips

Hi,

I am wanting to make the cute Minnie ear clips... the ones that are basically circles of layered felt attached to hair clips. I can figure out the ears but am not sure HOW to attach the clips to the make them stand up straight.

DD is tiny and doesn't have thick hair so I plan to use double prong alligator clips. French clips will not stay in her hair.

Has anyone made these and can offer any advice on how to attach the hair clips to the ears?

THANKS!!

Courtney

Old 04-29-2010, 12:37

Default Re: Need help... how to make Minnie Ear clips

hope this helps

http://www.girlythingsbows.com/mouse_ear_clippies.html
Old 04-29-2010, 12:42

Could you double the felt and have the 2 pieces brace eachother in a sort of "A" shape? That way it has a kind of "foot" that you can glue to the clippie?
Old 04-29-2010, 01:07

I recently made monkey ears for my dd's Curious George party. The ears were detachable and on alligator clips. Here's what I did to make them stand out.

I lined the clip w/ribbon. Then I hot glued a strip of felt to the inside of the clip so that, combined with the clip, looked like a cross.

Then, I brough the ends of the stip together and glued them together.

I used craft foam for my ears and sandwiched the felt in between my foam pieces.

Here's a picture of my finished product....

(The top headband is wrapped in ribbon and the clips are inserted between the layers of ribbon. The bottom headband had the ears attached the same way I attached them to the clips, except directly to the headband and no clips.) Hope this all makes sense. If not, I'll try to take pics of each step.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P042110005.jpg (20.3 KB, 49 views)
Old 04-29-2010, 01:10

Sorry, I just reread your post. I hope I gave you good advice. If not, the girlythingsbows clips are super cute too. I just made the ears by themselves.
Old 04-29-2010, 01:54

Quote:
Originally Posted by babybasics View Post
Could you double the felt and have the 2 pieces brace eachother in a sort of "A" shape? That way it has a kind of "foot" that you can glue to the clippie?
This makes alot of sense... I hadn't thought of it this way! Thank you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rramirez331 View Post
I recently made monkey ears for my dd's Curious George party. The ears were detachable and on alligator clips. Here's what I did to make them stand out.

I lined the clip w/ribbon. Then I hot glued a strip of felt to the inside of the clip so that, combined with the clip, looked like a cross.

Then, I brough the ends of the stip together and glued them together.

I used craft foam for my ears and sandwiched the felt in between my foam pieces.

Here's a picture of my finished product....

(The top headband is wrapped in ribbon and the clips are inserted between the layers of ribbon. The bottom headband had the ears attached the same way I attached them to the clips, except directly to the headband and no clips.) Hope this all makes sense. If not, I'll try to take pics of each step.
This is great- very helpful, THANK YOU! This is the kind of ears I want to make... seperate ears that I can clip into her hair.

So both of you suggest actually attaching the clip to the bottom of the ear- stabilizing it inside the ear between the flaps of felt. That makes alot of sense... THANK YOU!!!

I couldn't get it out of my head to attach the clip to the back and was stuck in that thought process. This is very helpful. Now to get started...

Courtney

Last edited by PaperDolls; 04-29-2010 at 01:57.
Old 04-29-2010, 01:56

I bought my daughter a pair of the fuzzy mouse ear clips from Disneyland. They have each individual ear standing up and attached to a snap clip. The base of each ear is pretty thick which gives it dimension and also means it's easy to attach.

Old 04-29-2010, 01:58

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaperDolls View Post
I'm glad, I wasn't sure it only made sense in my head! LOL

Depending on how big the "ears" are, you might need to put something in between the 2 pieces to make them stand up, but it should work just fine! I made something like this (the same concept, dif project) and I used the sticky back felt. It was sturdy and stayed standing up.
Old 04-29-2010, 02:03

I can write better instructions later and take pictures if you need them, but basically you take two pieces of felt cut into the round mouse ear shape. Put them right sides together and stitch alone all sides except for the bottom. Clip the seams at the curves and then flip them right side out. You then insert a piece of boning, the boning should be almost the full height of the ear (but not touching the top), the boning keeps the ears straight up perfectly. Then I sort of turn the bottom edges in, and glue it to a lined alligator clip, I have also seem them stitched onto a snap clip. I hope this helps and makes sense.
Old 04-29-2010, 03:38

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaperDolls View Post

This is great- very helpful, THANK YOU! This is the kind of ears I want to make... seperate ears that I can clip into her hair.

So both of you suggest actually attaching the clip to the bottom of the ear- stabilizing it inside the ear between the flaps of felt. That makes alot of sense... THANK YOU!!!

I couldn't get it out of my head to attach the clip to the back and was stuck in that thought process. This is very helpful. Now to get started...

Courtney
Absolutely! My ears were VERY sturdy. They didn't flap around at all. The only thing they couldn't withstand was being chewed on by teething babies. LOL! Then again, I don't know of much that can withstand that.

So yes, I attached the BOTTOM of the ears to the clip but as close to the clip as possible otherwise they will flap around. The only felt that showed was on the inside of the clip because the rest was snuggled in between my 2 pieces of foam.

You are very welcome for the advice. Please post pics of those darling ears when you get a chance!
Sponsored Links

HipGirl 6pc Set 2.5" Hawaii Hawaiian Plumeria Flower Foam Hair Clip Accessory, Boutique Alligator Clip Assortment. For Bridal Wedding Party Beach Vacation Outfit, Dress. For Girls Teens Kids Adults
HipGirl 6pc Set 2.5" Hawaii Hawaiian Plumeria Flower Foam Hair Clip Accessory, Boutique Alligator Clip Assortment. For Bridal Wedding Party Beach Vacation Outfit, Dress. For Girls Teens Kids Adults.
HipGirl 6pc Set 2.5" Hawaii Hawaiian Plumeria Flower Foam Hair Clip Accessory, Boutique Alligator Clip Assortment. For Bridal Wedding Party Beach Vacation Outfit, Dress. For Girls Teens Kids Adults.