New products--peelnstick double-sided-tape for lining clips
http://www.thehairbowcompany.com/assets/images/affiliateBanners/affiliateBanner3.jpg
hip girl boutique 1" metallic gold gliter sparkle ribbon
hip girl boutique grosgrain ribbon wrapped headbands for girls women baby toddler
hip girl boutique goody ponytail pigtail holder for women girl toddler baby

Go Back   Hip Girl Boutique Free Hair Bow Instructions--Learn how to make hairbows and hair clips, FREE! > Ribbon and Bows > How to make...

How to make... Hairbows, hair clips, bottlecaps, ribbon shirts, flip flop...

Old 04-29-2010, 08:45

Default Baking/Starching/Hairspray ?

Hi Ladies,

I just received my adorable bows from suzieqbows, and now I need to bake and starch them, but I've never done this before. I read some of the old threads about starch vs hairspray, etc... Does anyone have experience with both? Which brands do you recommend? How much do you spray? Any and all tips are very appreciated! Thank you!
Sponsored Links

HipGirl 6pc Set 2.5" Hawaii Hawaiian Plumeria Flower Foam Hair Clip Accessory, Boutique Alligator Clip Assortment. For Bridal Wedding Party Beach Vacation Outfit, Dress. For Girls Teens Kids Adults
HipGirl 6pc Set 2.5" Hawaii Hawaiian Plumeria Flower Foam Hair Clip Accessory, Boutique Alligator Clip Assortment. For Bridal Wedding Party Beach Vacation Outfit, Dress. For Girls Teens Kids Adults.
HipGirl 6pc Set 2.5" Hawaii Hawaiian Plumeria Flower Foam Hair Clip Accessory, Boutique Alligator Clip Assortment. For Bridal Wedding Party Beach Vacation Outfit, Dress. For Girls Teens Kids Adults.
Old 04-29-2010, 09:09

Default Re: Baking/Starching/Hairspray ?

I don't bake because I did once and all my colors faded onto one another. I had to redo several bows!! But, I have started to starch most of my bows. I got sta-flo as well as a spray can of starch (not sure what brand, but it is blue and says Easy On). Anyway, I haven't used the sta-flo yet just the other. I spray a lot because if I don't, it is still floppy...lol. I hold the can back and try to spray all around it and even the back. Then, I let it dry...it takes awhile because I use so much. I starch my loops and my twisted bows. I know with sta-flo you mix part water and part sta-flo. Anyway, it isn't much, but maybe it will help you.
Old 04-29-2010, 09:21

I just use Niagra spray starch. It's cheap & does the job. Spray enough to wet the bows. If you want to bake, do it at a low temp (like 250-275) for about 15-20 minutes. I spray first & then bake sometimes too depending on the ribbon & bow.
Old 04-29-2010, 11:34

Quote:
Originally Posted by juliebugs View Post
Hi Ladies,

I just received my adorable bows from suzieqbows, and now I need to bake and starch them, but I've never done this before. I read some of the old threads about starch vs hairspray, etc... Does anyone have experience with both? Which brands do you recommend? How much do you spray? Any and all tips are very appreciated! Thank you!

I just use hair spray find if you bake them the color fades
Old 04-29-2010, 11:55

i just starch and let it dry for a few hours or overnight. if i am in a rush then i will bake. i had that problem where the colors bled.
Old 04-29-2010, 11:59

I bake them. First I soak them in water, then lightly starch, bake for about 20 min at 350, then let cool. HTH
Old 04-29-2010, 12:26

im lame i didnt know about starch so i bought this stuff i found at joanns i think it was 5 bucks called stiffen... its probably an expensive form of starch.... once i run out of the bottle ill do the startch
Old 04-29-2010, 01:39

I use cheepo hairspray! It doesn't flake like starch does and I never have a problem with the colors fading.
Old 04-29-2010, 01:51

I just use hairspray, baking did nothing for mine.
Old 04-29-2010, 02:43

i use reg starch from walmart i spray then if its sunny outside i put them on a baking sheet lined with foil and they dry fast and hard...
Sponsored Links
http://www.hipgirlclips.com/affiliate_alt_ads/jewelboxballerina-300.jpg