key fob hardware marabou cherry-blossom-silk-hair-flower 3/8" double ruffle ribbon free tutorial-bottle caps felt circle http://www.hipgirlclips.com/store/images/3in-spike-18pc-set.jpg

Go Back   Hip Girl Boutique Free Hair Bow Instructions--Learn how to make hairbows and hair clips, FREE! > Ribbon and Bows > How to make...

How to make... Hairbows, hair clips, bottlecaps, ribbon shirts, flip flop...

Old 04-28-2010, 08:39

Default tutus am I doing this wrong???

I've been making tutus for a few weeks to add to my website, I've been knotting the tulle to the elastic with a square knot, my tutus look really full and pretty, I've been reading a few tutorials ( on here and else where) they all say to loop the tulle and pull - if I try this the tulle doesn't feel secure and I can pull it out if I try.

Do you knot or loop?

Also I've been using double layers ( or triple layers of tulle) most tutorials say one layer.
Am I doing this wrong?
Sponsored Links

HipGirl 6pc Set 2.5" Hawaii Hawaiian Plumeria Flower Foam Hair Clip Accessory, Boutique Alligator Clip Assortment. For Bridal Wedding Party Beach Vacation Outfit, Dress. For Girls Teens Kids Adults
HipGirl 6pc Set 2.5" Hawaii Hawaiian Plumeria Flower Foam Hair Clip Accessory, Boutique Alligator Clip Assortment. For Bridal Wedding Party Beach Vacation Outfit, Dress. For Girls Teens Kids Adults.
HipGirl 6pc Set 2.5" Hawaii Hawaiian Plumeria Flower Foam Hair Clip Accessory, Boutique Alligator Clip Assortment. For Bridal Wedding Party Beach Vacation Outfit, Dress. For Girls Teens Kids Adults.
Old 04-28-2010, 08:43

Default Re: tutus am I doing this wrong???

I usually do the square knot... I think w/ the girls playing in them the more secure the better.
Also on the layers, I think it's a matter of preference. The fuller the better IMO.
You should post a pic! I'd love to see your work!
Old 04-28-2010, 09:00

Yes please post a pic I love looking at others work. Pretty things make me happy lol.
Old 04-28-2010, 09:14

i really think there is no right or wrong...it's personal preference...i like doing the loops cause i know how to do it so i can do it fast...if you do one layer of tulle instead of 2 or three, the waistband looks cleaner, imo...it also seems more secure...BUT if you're doing more with a diff knot and it looks good and is secure, then you're probably doing it right...before 2 wks ago i didn't know what "no roll elastic" was...but now that i've been using it...i like it way better than regular...again because it looks cleaner

Quote:
Originally Posted by bibbidibobbidi View Post
I've been making tutus for a few weeks to add to my website, I've been knotting the tulle to the elastic with a square knot, my tutus look really full and pretty, I've been reading a few tutorials ( on here and else where) they all say to loop the tulle and pull - if I try this the tulle doesn't feel secure and I can pull it out if I try.

Do you knot or loop?

Also I've been using double layers ( or triple layers of tulle) most tutorials say one layer.
Am I doing this wrong?
Old 04-28-2010, 09:15

I have problems with the elastic showing through, anyone know how to remedy this? Also the elastic curling inward.

Old 04-28-2010, 11:44

I also use the square knot method. I started making them the other way but as my daughter would play in them I would notice pieces laying around the house! I haven't had a problem since I started using the square knots. I use only one layer of tulle on mine but I think they are super fluffy this way. Here is one of mine...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0422.jpg (37.5 KB, 274 views)
Old 04-30-2010, 11:49

hmm .. .now what is a square knot?
Old 04-30-2010, 03:40

TuTu Frilly

How do you do that? I used one layer and it does not come out looking like yours!
I'm pretty embarrassed to post this picture. But this is what mine looks like and I'd love to be able to make a nice one. So what do I need to do? Thanks!!!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC01227.jpg (74.9 KB, 217 views)
Old 04-30-2010, 03:43

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbettua View Post
I have problems with the elastic showing through, anyone know how to remedy this? Also the elastic curling inward.
Are you using no roll elastic? Either that or your making your knots a smidge to tight. As for the elastic showing through you probably don't have enough tulle on it. Pack more on
Old 04-30-2010, 03:46

Quote:
Originally Posted by PinkBug View Post
TuTu Frilly

How do you do that? I used one layer and it does not come out looking like yours!
I'm pretty embarrassed to post this picture. But this is what mine looks like and I'd love to be able to make a nice one. So what do I need to do? Thanks!!!
Sorry I know you didn't ask me but I can help. Are you using no roll elastic? Because it looks really bunched up. So give that a try. It also looks like you need more tulle packed on. My tutu's look like tutufrillys and all I do is keep packing on the tulle. Try packing on double the amount you are now.
Sponsored Links