ribbon and bows and free hairbow instructions

http://www.hipgirlclips.com/store/images/peony-ad.gif
7-8 zebra and leopard grosgrain ribbon
New product--7/8' sister ribbon
Mini Pinwheel Bows

Go Back   Hip Girl Boutique Free Hair Bow Instructions--Learn how to make hairbows and hair clips, FREE! > Ribbon and Bows > How to make...

How to make... Hairbows, hair clips, bottlecaps, ribbon shirts, flip flop...

Old 04-30-2010, 03:51

Default Re: tutus am I doing this wrong???

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinkygirl79 View Post
Sorry I know you didn't ask me but I can help. Are you using no roll elastic? Because it looks really bunched up. So give that a try. It also looks like you need more tulle packed on. My tutu's look like tutufrillys and all I do is keep packing on the tulle. Try packing on double the amount you are now.

No Thank you!! I Don't mind! I'll take anyone's help! What exactly is no roll elastic? Can I buy that at Hobby Lobby or Michaels? I've heard to do more layers but then I hear people saying they only used one layer. I will definitely try more! Thanks for the help!!
Sponsored Links
http://www.hipgirlclips.com/affiliate_alt_ads/whimsydoodlegraphics.gif
Old 04-30-2010, 03:52
-Michelle-

Quote:
Originally Posted by PinkBug View Post
TuTu Frilly

How do you do that? I used one layer and it does not come out looking like yours!
I'm pretty embarrassed to post this picture. But this is what mine looks like and I'd love to be able to make a nice one. So what do I need to do? Thanks!!!
I also think the elastic you're using is not helping, try 1" no roll elastic.
I've used the tutorial before, and the tutus that I've made have come out pretty "poofy" (sp?) I'm not tutu expert, I just make them for my baby, but I think they've come out pretty cute. Hope it helps. http://tutusbowsandmore.com/pages/tutuinstructions.htm
Old 04-30-2010, 03:56

Thanks for the link and the advice!! What kind of knot is that? is that just a regular tie your shoe knot and double knot it?
Old 04-30-2010, 04:00

Quote:
No Thank you!! I Don't mind! I'll take anyone's help! What exactly is no roll elastic? Can I buy that at Hobby Lobby or Michaels? I've heard to do more layers but then I hear people saying they only used one layer. I will definitely try more! Thanks for the help!!
Its confusing when people say add more layers. To me layers are when the tutu has different lengths. Just pack it on and forget about the term "layers" until you feel more comfortable making the basic tutu. You can buy no roll elastic at Michaels im not sure about Hobby Lobby cause there is not one near me but it sounds like they have just about everything so I'm pretty sure you could probably get it there.
Old 04-30-2010, 04:02

Quote:
Thanks for the link and the advice!! What kind of knot is that? is that just a regular tie your shoe knot and double knot it?

The tutorial above uses square knots. That is the same tutorial I use too. Doubling it up definately adds to the poof!

My Etsy My Facebook
Old 04-30-2010, 04:18
-Michelle-

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedragonflyprincess View Post
The tutorial above uses square knots. That is the same tutorial I use too. Doubling it up definately adds to the poof!
Yup, it's a square knot. She's right also when she says that doubling it up make the tutu poof up more, so instead of using one strip of tulle use two or even three and the same time. The end result will be a really nice and full skirt.
Old 04-30-2010, 04:19
-Michelle-

Forgot to mention, if you go to Youtube and type in "no sew tutu" or "how to make a tutu" a few videos will come out that might help you out a bit more.
Old 04-30-2010, 09:31

Quote:
TuTu Frilly

How do you do that? I used one layer and it does not come out looking like yours!
I'm pretty embarrassed to post this picture. But this is what mine looks like and I'd love to be able to make a nice one. So what do I need to do? Thanks!!!
Yes, the elastic could be a start. I use 3/4" non roll elastic. I think it adds a sturdier "base" if that makes sense. Once I tie the tulle on I slide it next to the previous color really tight and just keep going. I also think that the tulle quality has something to do with the shape. I use 6" spools not tulle from the bolt. HTH!
Old 04-30-2010, 10:55

I have just used slip knots with one layer of tulle and haven't had a problem, or any complaints about tulle coming undone from customers. You just really have to make it tight without squeezing the elastic too much if that makes sense. I've been thinking of trying to use a square knot just because it would give me more piece of mind that they really will stay together, but when I've tried I can't get the tulle to lay right with a square knot. I use 1" no roll elastic for my waist also, I cut the elastic about 4 or 5 inches shorter than the waist size I want and really pack the tulle on so that even when you stretch it you don't see the waist band, but it will still stretch for a good fit. Here is a pic of a tutu outfit I recently made for a custom order. I used black felt for the dots. I think if I did a ladybug one again I'd use smaller circles. If you look on my website I have a few other pics of tutus posted, I find the shorter the length the poofier. I like doing a 6" length the best.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ladybugdotstutu.jpg (48.9 KB, 109 views)

Last edited by TinasK; 04-30-2010 at 10:59.
Old 05-04-2010, 05:29

Quote:
Originally Posted by TinasK View Post
I have just used slip knots with one layer of tulle and haven't had a problem, or any complaints about tulle coming undone from customers. You just really have to make it tight without squeezing the elastic too much if that makes sense. I've been thinking of trying to use a square knot just because it would give me more piece of mind that they really will stay together, but when I've tried I can't get the tulle to lay right with a square knot. I use 1" no roll elastic for my waist also, I cut the elastic about 4 or 5 inches shorter than the waist size I want and really pack the tulle on so that even when you stretch it you don't see the waist band, but it will still stretch for a good fit. Here is a pic of a tutu outfit I recently made for a custom order. I used black felt for the dots. I think if I did a ladybug one again I'd use smaller circles. If you look on my website I have a few other pics of tutus posted, I find the shorter the length the poofier. I like doing a 6" length the best.
how did you apply the lady bug spots....hot glue gun?
Sponsored Links