printed bottle caps fabric tape http://www.hipgirlclips.com/store/images/categories/rhine-stone-flat-back-title-sm.jpg stripe ribbon mini bows 7/8" saddle stitch grosgrain ribbon crochet headband trim

Go Back   Hip Girl Boutique Free Hair Bow Instructions--Learn how to make hairbows and hair clips, FREE! > Ribbon and Bows > How to make...

How to make... Hairbows, hair clips, bottlecaps, ribbon shirts, flip flop...

Old 04-27-2010, 12:22

Default Pony O's - is there a surefire way to make sure they don't break?

From the start of making my Pony O Streamers, I have always had a sinking suspicion that the pony o would snap, just like they ALWAYS do for my DD. I went from using hot glue, to sewing and using hot glue and I am just wondering...does anybody have any good method or tips they would be willing to share for making sure the elastic on the pony o doesn't break? These things are notorious for breaking in our house. I love, love, LOVE streamers, but am wanting to make sure my customers get a good quality product, not prone to breaking.

OH...and for attaching Korkers onto Pony-O's so they don't break either. I'm at a loss for those....I just wrap ribbon around the pony o and secure it with the glue. I thought that placing the glue right on the pony o seam would ensure minimal breakage, but one friend/customer reported that one of hers broke. I'm sending her a new one...but really want it to last!!

Any help would be so appreciated..thanks!

Sponsored Links
Old 04-27-2010, 12:39

Default Re: Pony O's - is there a surefire way to make sure they don't break?

The goody ones have been great for me..haven't had a problem with them breaking at all.
I absolutely love hairparts for headbands etd but DON"T BUY THEIR PONY-Os...Every single one broke the second I tried to stretch it even a little bit..
Old 04-27-2010, 12:43

Goody ones are great. My girls have thicker hair and they are the only ones that we've never had a problem with.
Old 04-27-2010, 12:46

I always attach 2 ponies. I don't like that either when they stretch and break. I always reccommend my cust use a regular pony and then add the streamer on top. Don't use it for sole support. I haven't had any break yet. I also use the tie method with my korkers when I'm using pony tail holders, I don't sew them - just my lil method.
Old 04-27-2010, 01:07

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pabloswhim View Post
The goody ones have been great for me..haven't had a problem with them breaking at all.
I absolutely love hairparts for headbands etd but DON"T BUY THEIR PONY-Os...Every single one broke the second I tried to stretch it even a little bit..
I did hear that about hairparts...so glad I didn't buy them a couple weeks back! I do have the Goody ones now, so hopefully that will ease my mind hearing so many good things about them. I bought the Scunci brand at first, and they seem to be pretty weak.
Quote:
Originally Posted by shay0622 View Post
I always attach 2 ponies. I don't like that either when they stretch and break. I always reccommend my cust use a regular pony and then add the streamer on top. Don't use it for sole support. I haven't had any break yet. I also use the tie method with my korkers when I'm using pony tail holders, I don't sew them - just my lil method.
I sew my Korkers, but trying to attach them to the pony o...I've just been gluing. I LOVE the idea of using two pony-o's and am def recommending that they use a standard pony o to start with. I had thought about that, and you just confirmed my thought! Thanks!!

Old 04-27-2010, 07:47

The only way to virtually guarantee non-breakage of your pony-O's is to direct (not suggest or recommend, tell them straight out) to your customers to put their girl's hair up in a pony tail (or pig tails, whatever) with a different pony-O first. Then apply the streamer to her hair beneath the first pony-O (so it will be closest to the head). Remind your customers that the pony-O on the streamer is only to hold the ribbon, not to hold the hair up.
This is just the method we use to apply cheer bows (actually, we use two pony-O's in their hair before we apply the cheer bow), to avoid breakage of the pony-O and slipping of the bow out of the hair during tumbling and stunts.
HTH,
Shelleigh
Old 04-27-2010, 04:05

Well, I don't know how much you're willing to pay for pony o's, but I found these the other day and it says they're guaranteed not to break. Might be worth a try. I always use Goody brand, tho and have had good luck.

http://www.powerbows.com/powerpony.htm
Old 04-27-2010, 04:09

I dont/haven't made pony o's yet but I do use them in my hair I have waist length hair that is pretty thick I wear it up every day and I use the thicker goody no metal pony o's and dont have any breakage...
Old 04-27-2010, 04:51

Three things:

1 - I always buy Goody as well - BOO to Hairparts - I have a whole box that are worthless!

2. I always tell my customers to do the same thing - put hair up with different pony first, and then use this as an "embellishment"

3. As far as a korker - use a zip tie.
Old 04-27-2010, 04:54

I agree to use ponytail holder first then use the one with the streamer. It helps with positioning the ribbon as well.

I have ridiculously thick hair and use thick Goody's ones with no problem. They hold this monsterous hair in place too!!
Sponsored Links
http://www.hipgirlclips.com/affiliate_alt_ads/whimsydoodlegraphics.gif

Tags
korker, pony o, streamres