New product--flat back resin
Hipgirl 40 Yards 3/8" Grosgrain Fabric Ribbon Polka Dot Set For Gift Package Wrapping, Hair Bow Clips & Accessories Making, Crafting, Sewing, Wedding Decor, Boy Girl Baby Shower-20x2yd Swiss Polka Dot
http://www.hipgirlclips.com/store/images/banners/heatnbond-lt-ad.jpg
New product--frog grosgrain ribbon
New product--5/8' dippin' dots grosgrain ribbon
New product--pop dots

Go Back   Hip Girl Boutique Free Hair Bow Instructions--Learn how to make hairbows and hair clips, FREE! > Ribbon and Bows > How to make...

How to make... Hairbows, hair clips, bottlecaps, ribbon shirts, flip flop...

Old 04-24-2010, 05:16

Default just another starch thread...READ and HELP!

ok so i bought a can of spray starch at walmart...now i was making ribbon flowers to go on flip flops...i sprayed the ribbon and ironed it...made my flowers (only sewing, no glue)...now i REALLY want the shape to stay so i sprayed them again with starch and stuck them in the oven to bake...now should i spray them again when they come out? does starch even work that way? i thought the heat applied to it is what makes everything all stiff.......tell me please! love ya girls!
Old 04-24-2010, 06:29

Default Re: just another starch thread...READ and HELP!

Dont put to much on it, espically if it is colored ribbon it will start getting flaky. So depending on how much you have already put on it I would be careful. I like mine stiff but not to stiff.
Old 04-24-2010, 08:15

I'm not much help as I generally use hairspray. But when I did use the starch if I used too much it would kind of flake off and look all dry and crumbly. I would think starching and baking once would be good though if you already starched it before you ironed
Old 04-24-2010, 09:15

Yea I think you're good, I wouldn't starch any more.
Old 04-24-2010, 09:33

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClarasMommy View Post
ok so i bought a can of spray starch at walmart...now i was making ribbon flowers to go on flip flops...i sprayed the ribbon and ironed it...made my flowers (only sewing, no glue)...now i REALLY want the shape to stay so i sprayed them again with starch and stuck them in the oven to bake...now should i spray them again when they come out? does starch even work that way? i thought the heat applied to it is what makes everything all stiff.......tell me please! love ya girls!
May I ask what brand of starch you used? I just started using Faultless Premium for my korkers and it seems to be working really well. I was wondering if it would work on bows, too. I've read about the staflo(sp?), but have been intimidated to use that as it has to be mixed with water. I know I'm weird. Anyway, I was just curious. Thank you Suzie.
Old 04-24-2010, 03:39

i bought the same kind as you...cause it said it didn't flake but it's the first time i've ever IN MY LIFE bought used or touched starch...other than in baking......

Quote:
Originally Posted by suziesqtcreations View Post
May I ask what brand of starch you used? I just started using Faultless Premium for my korkers and it seems to be working really well. I was wondering if it would work on bows, too. I've read about the staflo(sp?), but have been intimidated to use that as it has to be mixed with water. I know I'm weird. Anyway, I was just curious. Thank you Suzie.
Old 04-24-2010, 11:13

I usually just starch my ribbon after the bow is made and then bake it for like 10 min.....(without any hardware on it) Never had anyone complain about them being flaky or losing their shape. ( and i ship alot) HTH!!
Old 04-25-2010, 01:53

Can I spray the Sta Flo Starch on my completed bows without baking them? I glue everything together so the glue would melt but is it OK for me to just starch them? Any help?
Sponsored Links
http://www.hipgirlclips.com/affiliate_alt_ads/whimsydoodlegraphics.gif