New product--2.5' Zebra Printed Grosgrain Ribbon
http://www.hipgirlclips.com/store/images/banners/peace-sign-grosgrain-ribbon-ads.jpg
http://www.hipgirlclips.com/store/images/medium/7-8-grosgrain-ribbon-volleyball-forest-green.jpg
New Instructions--How to make korker hair bow using a korker box hip girl boutique grosgrain ribbon korker for hair bows, hair clips, baby women, toddler, girl, adult, floral design, birthday holiday gift wrapping
New product--star ribbon for cheer bows

Go Back   Hip Girl Boutique Free Hair Bow Instructions--Learn how to make hairbows and hair clips, FREE! > Ribbon and Bows > How to make...

How to make... Hairbows, hair clips, bottlecaps, ribbon shirts, flip flop...

Old 04-23-2010, 11:52

Default Re: How to make better korkers???

Yes more pieces and maybe smaller will be a good help. i personally make mine smaller i use 3 curls and aboout 20 peices i bake mine at 275 for 20 min then i cut and seal make it and then spray with hair spray, good luck.

Sponsored Links

Old 04-24-2010, 12:02

I'm no expert but have been making korker bows a little over 3 years with a lot of trials and errors. I purchased some crappy instructions from ebay, so I have tweaked it so much since then to make them better. I bake mine at 300 for 30 minutes. I take a can of heavy spray starch (Faultless Professional Formula) and spray them as soon as they come out of the oven. The rods are hot and then I let them dry. I put them on the counter or table to dry. I have heard of someone hanging them up on a clothes line. Sounds like more work to me plus I dont have the space. I have sprayed before baking and learned my lesson. All my white came out a yucky cream/tan color. I offer 3 sizes of bows now. My Large bows have 8 yards in a set of bows. My medium bows have 4 yards in a set and I have a small set that has 2 yards. And a Itty Bitty set with a yard. HtH someone
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P3080093.jpg (74.7 KB, 143 views)
File Type: jpg P3240127b.jpg (53.9 KB, 138 views)
File Type: jpg P4070056.jpg (50.1 KB, 133 views)
File Type: jpg P4170127.jpg (78.4 KB, 130 views)
Old 04-24-2010, 12:10

Ok girls...I took apart my 5 curl one (18 korkers) and added more to it (36 korkers total) and it looks great! I figured out it took 6 yards! Thanks for all the help!!!
Old 04-24-2010, 12:51

Quote:
Originally Posted by 564tamara View Post
That's what I was thinking...I got some dowels so I can make my own. Do I just buy a can of spray starch like for clothes? I got the premade in a destash and it's definately not starched. How long should I bake them and what temp works good? Thanks!!
275 degrees for 20 - 30 minutes. I've just used the Niagara Starch, and also tried some starch I got at Joann's for a lot more money. It was supposed to not leave 'residue'. But isn't that what starch is? Anyway, it didn't work any better than the spray can of Niagara but might have smelled a little better. For the cost difference, though....eh, I won't sniff 'em! I have tried not starching them before baking them, but spraying them with hairspray after and letting them air dry. It did make them more stiff, and again, if you use scented hairspray, made them smell really nice. (I had Herbal Essences). Just do what you're doing, experiment for what gives you the look you want!

Joanne
Old 04-24-2010, 12:58

Quote:
Originally Posted by 564tamara View Post
Ok girls...I took apart my 5 curl one (18 korkers) and added more to it (36 korkers total) and it looks great! I figured out it took 6 yards! Thanks for all the help!!!
I add more pieces too. the more pieces the fuller it is. I sew mine and then wrap glue it on a clip and wrap a curl or 2 around on all of them but my mini korkers. I cut my ribbon different lengths for each korker size too.

Last edited by jaunamaria; 11-23-2010 at 10:53.
Old 04-24-2010, 01:01

oh and I also wrap mine mega tight.. then bake.. i think i do mine higher than the 275.. its been a while since i made korkers. Then After they are done baking i spray them while they are hot let them cool and dry. then unwrap and cut and sew to make them.. then when htey are made i startch again. i sometimes hang them upside down to til the startch dries.. i dont go easy on the startch. lol sometimes I'll bake again after piecing them together and then spray when they come out of the oven.
Old 04-24-2010, 01:43

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhall52 View Post
You know, someone mentioned awhile ago to leave the ribbon right on the dowel and count the spirals, then make your cut. That's what I've been doing. (these were cut on the 8th spiral, on 1/4" dowels) Sooo much easier. And doesn't mark the dowel like you'd think (that was my first question).

564tamara....I wonder about the premade korker, as I've never used it. I wrap and bake my own so I have control over temp, starching, etc. With the premade you pretty much have to take what you get, unless you know personally who you're buying from. KWIM?

Joanne
Thanks!!! I still have an entire tray still on the rods because I got frustrated with the first couple not looking perky like my 3/8 korkers so put them aside. I will try doing it this way .
Old 04-24-2010, 10:29

I dip my ribbon in a bowl of starch and then wrap them on the rods bake for 20 mins at 275. I use about 35-40 pieces?Depends on the color combo I am using. I can go more in detail if you want me to just PM me!

I am making korkers as we speak!

www.lilbowpeep08.etsy.com
Old 04-24-2010, 10:44

I just started doing this (got the tip on here) to my kokers after they've been sewn together and attached to a clip. Give them a good shake to fluff them, attach to a clothes hanger so that they are upside down, then spray them with your starch and let them dry for awhile. It seems to work really well. I hope that helps someone Suzie
Old 04-24-2010, 10:49

Joann, I could help but noticed your pretty konkers' card looks to be the business card that you can get a vistaprint. That is a brilliant idea. It could save me so much ink if I didn't have to print my own and $ too. I will be ordering some now (of course a different design). So that ways when, and if I start selling bows I'll have all my supply ready *fingers cross*
Sponsored Links