New product--flat back resin
Hipgirl 40 Yards 3/8" Grosgrain Fabric Ribbon Polka Dot Set For Gift Package Wrapping, Hair Bow Clips & Accessories Making, Crafting, Sewing, Wedding Decor, Boy Girl Baby Shower-20x2yd Swiss Polka Dot
http://www.hipgirlclips.com/store/images/banners/heatnbond-lt-ad.jpg
New product--frog grosgrain ribbon
New product--5/8' dippin' dots grosgrain ribbon
New product--pop dots

Go Back   Hip Girl Boutique Free Hair Bow Instructions--Learn how to make hairbows and hair clips, FREE! > Ribbon and Bows > How to make...

How to make... Hairbows, hair clips, bottlecaps, ribbon shirts, flip flop...

Old 04-21-2010, 07:13

Post 3" Cheer bow measurements ??

Hey, all,

Just a quick ?? re: measurements for 3" cheer bows. I am making a presentation to our HS & MS cheerleading coaches, and want to bring some jaw-dropping samples.
I just picked up some 3" ribbon, and have great plans for all of it...meaning, I don't want to waste even an inch of it! I only ordered 15 yards of it, didn't want to have 50-60 dollars of ribbon just sitting until I have a large order.

Can someone tell me what measurements they use with their 3" cheer bows? Do you just use the same 7" markings (7", then 14" back center, then 21") that you do with your 2.25" ribbon? or should I add an inch to each side and make a gi-normous bow? Don't want to scare these coaches with Texas-sized bows, but do want the "Wow!" factor to influence their decision!

Thanks for your help,
Shelleigh
Sponsored Links
Old 04-21-2010, 05:53

Default Re: 3" Cheer bow measurements ??

Know where I can find a free tut for cheer bows? Ive made a couple, but they arent perfect LOL
Old 04-21-2010, 06:07

would love a free tut also!!
Old 04-21-2010, 06:22

NobowNoGo has a great cheer bow tutorial that I learned from. Its not free though, but its only five dollars.
Old 04-21-2010, 11:15

Ok cool...if I cant find a free one Ill buy that LOL
Old 04-22-2010, 08:49

I help my daughter make many for all-star teams and she cuts them at 26 inches.
Old 04-22-2010, 10:19

It depends on how long I want the tails. For competition my daughter has longer tails so they flop up and down as the cheer. For practice she likes much shorter tails. Some teams like shorter tail for comp. as well. So..I will cut my ribbon anywhere from 24" to 28".
Old 04-22-2010, 04:22

Post Re: 3" Cheer bow measurements ??

Thanks for the info on length, I'm trying to figure the bow loop itself size. Cheer girl, I didn't quite "get" the 4" measurements.
I take my ribbon (2.25" ribbons, usually, unless making pigtail bows), cut 27 or 28 inches, fold in 1/2, then measure 7" to the left, then again from center to 7" to the right and mark both with a dot in the center of the ribbon. I make the dots meet by crossing the tails, so it looks like a survivor ribbon.
This way, the 14" of the riboon is looped, folded and sewn to make the bow loops, my bow loops are actually 7" from side to side. Hope I'm not talking jibberish, just trying to be really really specific so I can better clarify my question...
I'm asking about the size of the bow loops when using larger ribbon. are your 3" ribbon bows 7 inches or 8 inches? or more??
Thx,
Shelleigh
Old 04-25-2010, 12:35

Bumping this up, maybe get an answer!
Old 04-25-2010, 01:00

I think by the 4", she meant so each loop is 4" across, that's how mine are. So from each end of the loop to the center of the bow is 4" for most of my 3" cheer bows. You're measuring yours differently. I would say generally the 3" bows have slightly larger loops than the regular size bows. The way you're measuring, looks like you would do 7" for regular size and 8" for large size (3")
Sponsored Links
http://www.hipgirlclips.com/store/images/large/portrait-editing-ads-700.jpg

Tags
3" bow, chearleading, cheer, measurements