ribbon and bows and free hairbow instructions

http://www.hipgirlclips.com/store/images/peony-ad.gif
7-8 zebra and leopard grosgrain ribbon
New product--7/8' sister ribbon
Mini Pinwheel Bows

Go Back   Hip Girl Boutique Free Hair Bow Instructions--Learn how to make hairbows and hair clips, FREE! > Ribbon and Bows > How to make...

How to make... Hairbows, hair clips, bottlecaps, ribbon shirts, flip flop...

View Poll Results: What do you use to avoid fraying?
Wood Burning Tool 65 32.02%
Fray Check 12 5.91%
Lighter 117 57.64%
Other, please explain 9 4.43%
Voters: 203. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-22-2010, 10:55

Default Re: Poll: What do you use to avoid fraying?

Quote:
Originally Posted by alinwonderland View Post
I have used a lighter since I first started making bows but finally got brave and started using the woodburner (that I bought months ago) last week. I LOVE it!!! My cuts weren't very even until I realized I had bought a metal ruler when I bought the woodburner for that very reason and now they are perfect every time!!
Good idea, I'm going to try that today. I bought a woodburner awhile back, but I haven't really used it because I am so afraid of burning myself. The thing you set it on also seems super flimsy (I bought a cheapy at Walmart for $10) and I am afraid it is going to fly back and burn me!
Sponsored Links
Old 08-22-2010, 07:01

I love my wood burner.... I used a lighter for a long time but got to the point I couldn't stand the smell of the melted ribbon any more it made me sick to the point I almost wanted to quit! (we all know that wasn't going to happen!) That was when I switched to a wood burner and I love it! I bought the 10 dollar one from wal mart and it works great. I read a tip on here from someone that said they put the burner upside down in a ceramic coffee mug. that works way better than the little stand it sits on!
Old 08-25-2010, 02:08

anyone else have the problem of them fraying even after you seal them... like after they have been worn a few times???
Old 08-25-2010, 08:13

I use all three. I just recently purchased a woodburner and love it so far!
Old 08-26-2010, 01:24

I keep a candle burning when I'm making my bows and seal them over the candle flame! I love this method because it's quick and easy!
Old 09-28-2010, 12:30

I use all of the above but find the wood burner works the best, my only complaint is it melts the ribbon and it gets stringy so I need to snip it. Anyone else have this problem?
Old 09-28-2010, 05:46

I use a lighter and I also fold the ribbon in half and seal the end so I don't get the "U" shape. I am trying to keep things simple and therefore I don't want to buy all of the "tools" just to make bows.
Old 09-29-2010, 12:46

As I say last week I light up a candle... It works great believe me!
Old 10-01-2010, 09:25

I've always used a lighter to seal my ribbon ends but I recently bought a wood burner.

When using the lighter, I sometimes forget how many ceiling fans are above me. I've ruined too many ribbons by burning them too much lol
Old 10-15-2010, 09:56

Smile Re: Poll: What do you use to avoid fraying?

I started out with a lighter and found for things like antenna for butterflies etc it was very hard to heat seal with out the antenna shriving up to nothing lol I then tried to search for this fray check I have heard all you guys talking about and as far as I found (I could be wrong lol) I could only buy it in American online stores, I'm Australian and needed it right away so i made up a mixture of fabric glue and water and dipped/painted the mixture onto the antenna and it worked fabulously and dried clear
Sponsored Links
http://www.hipgirlclips.com/affiliate_alt_ads/jewelboxballerina-300.jpg