Pendant Satin Large Star Flowers Acrylic Rhinestone Disney Bottle Caps 2pc Flatback Resin--Ballet Shoes Hairbows & Hair Clips 1pc Hip Girl Hair Bow Clips--Pink Ballet Shoes 1pc 5.5' Camelia Hair Flower--Hot Pink http://www.hipgirlclips.com/store/images/medium/cherry-blossom-ads.jpg 6pc Large Silk Fairy Hair Flowers--Combo

Go Back   Hip Girl Boutique Free Hair Bow Instructions--Learn how to make hairbows and hair clips, FREE! > Ribbon and Bows > How to make...

How to make... Hairbows, hair clips, bottlecaps, ribbon shirts, flip flop...

Old 04-13-2010, 11:50

Default New respect for tutu makers

So I started making my daughter a tutu last night for her bday in two weeks. I went into this very excited and with an "I can do that" attitude, yes I was quite the bad-ass . By the end of the night I was beaten down and defeated!

My tulle was cut uneven, I didn't know how to cut it into even strips, I couldn't figure out how long to make it, I cut myself with the rotary cutter, it needs alot more tulle than I thought, and I'm wasting alot of tulle because I keep having to cut the ends to even it out.
It looks so easy on Youtube...

Anyway, all the time I'm doing this I keep thinking I should have just bought it on ebay. I could have gotten a bday t-shirt and the tutu for about $27. I paid 15 for the tulle (in yards not a spool) and elastic.
Aaahhhh, but I would have not have had the satisfaction of knowing that this precious tutu was made by mommy's loving hands for my precious baby girl for her 2nd birthday right? I guess. Hahaha

Anyway, I got about 1/4 done, and it actually looks decent. So even though my neck and shoulder's hurt and my carpal tunnel has been acting up, actually feel a bit proud of myself.
Did I mention I was up until 1:00 am doing this?

Have a great day!
Sponsored Links
http://www.hipgirlclips.com/affiliate_alt_ads/jewelboxballerina-300.jpg
Old 04-13-2010, 12:02

Default Re: New respect for tutu makers

Good for you....btw they get easier after the first one!
When I first started and heard, yea it takes about 20 minutes to make one - I think it took me a few days!! now its more like 30 minutes!
So don't get discouraged!!! Keep at it....
Old 04-13-2010, 12:03

When I first started and heard, yea it takes about 20 minutes to make one - I think it took me a few days!! now its more like 30 minutes!

Also used the tulle by the yard and cut into strips, now I'm onto the 6" spools - way easier.....
Old 04-13-2010, 12:13

Quote:
Originally Posted by OBABY View Post

Also used the tulle by the yard and cut into strips, now I'm onto the 6" spools - way easier.....
Thanks for the tip on the 6" inch spools. Where do you get them? I saw them on Ebay but I was so excited to get started on the project I just headed down to my nearest fabric store and bought by the yard.
Old 04-13-2010, 12:18

Quote:
Originally Posted by luckymommy View Post
Thanks for the tip on the 6" inch spools. Where do you get them? I saw them on Ebay but I was so excited to get started on the project I just headed down to my nearest fabric store and bought by the yard.
Joann's and Michaels both have them. 25yrd for about 2.99. Spools are SO MUCH EASIER. Promise! For a 2yr old I cut strips about 18" long. Good luck!
Old 04-13-2010, 12:21

Hobby Lobby has the 6" spools and they are usually 50% off. Also, find a book, (childrens books are usually the right size) that is the length that you need. Or, flat boxes work sometimes. I tape the first strip of tulle to the book to hold it in place then wrap it around. Wrap it tight. Then slowly cut it
Old 04-13-2010, 12:21

Was gunna say...get the spools mamma! Makes it so much easier to cut. My 10 year old actually cuts my strips for me I get mine at www.tullesource.com. I know there are other places though. You can get a limited color selection in spools at Michaels and Joann's. Don't worry it gets easier.
Old 04-13-2010, 12:38

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinkydoodledesigns View Post
Was gunna say...get the spools mamma! Makes it so much easier to cut. My 10 year old actually cuts my strips for me I get mine at www.tullesource.com. I know there are other places though. You can get a limited color selection in spools at Michaels and Joann's. Don't worry it gets easier.

Tulle Source is the best! That's where I get mine, too! But if you're on a short time limit you have to pay lots more for the faster shipping.
Old 04-13-2010, 01:25

Awww, keep trying. I'm sure it's just like the hairbows, lots of practice. And it will be more special that mommy made it!
Old 04-13-2010, 01:28

You will get it. You can get spools at most craft stores also if you have any around. Good luck and have fun with it.
Sponsored Links