key fob hardware marabou cherry-blossom-silk-hair-flower 3/8" double ruffle ribbon free tutorial-bottle caps felt circle http://www.hipgirlclips.com/store/images/3in-spike-18pc-set.jpg

Go Back   Hip Girl Boutique Free Hair Bow Instructions--Learn how to make hairbows and hair clips, FREE! > Ribbon and Bows > How to make...

How to make... Hairbows, hair clips, bottlecaps, ribbon shirts, flip flop...

Old 04-12-2010, 10:28

Default Help - why are my twisted doing this?!?

Ok, I use the Figure 8 method. I do fairly well with smaller bows. Here are a few pics.

But, when I make them a little bigger, they get floppy - for lack of a better word. They seem to be fine until I stack and put the center knot on. Then, they look like this.....

Do I need to tie and sew tighter? Do I just need to starch - I have never starched anything? Ugg, I don't know. Help!!!! Any other advice or opinions on my bows is welcome as well. Thanks!
Sponsored Links
http://www.hipgirlclips.com/affiliate_alt_ads/jewelboxballerina-300.jpg
Old 04-12-2010, 10:32

Default Re: Help - why are my twisted doing this?!?

Definitely starch!! Starch, starch, starch! LOL It makes your life 100 times easier. The larger the bow, the heavier the ribbon, so unless you starch it, it will flop.

Also in my experience the tighter you sew the center the better the ribbon pops up and holds it shape.

ETA: You also might want to try making the X more narrow. The more narrow the X in the middle, the more curvy your bow will be. I put a picture up cause I'm not good at explaining sometimes.

HTH!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC_0769.jpg (38.2 KB, 41 views)

Last edited by mommy2-4; 04-12-2010 at 10:35.
Old 04-12-2010, 10:35

I was kind-of hoping starch so I can fix that bow before it gets mailed to its new home....lol. What kind? How do I do it? It is already fully assembled.
Old 04-12-2010, 10:38

Quote:
Originally Posted by ordi5103 View Post
I was kind-of hoping starch so I can fix that bow before it gets mailed to its new home....lol. What kind? How do I do it? It is already fully assembled.
I use sta-flo. 1/2 sta-flo and 1/2 water in a spray bottle. Its best to starch before you assemble, but in this case you could just spray it and let it dry. I would probably put some tissue paper in each hole of the bow to keep it shaped while its drying too. It will help some!
Old 04-12-2010, 10:40

Ok, I will try to find some. Thanks for the tissue paper idea - I wouldn't have thought of that. Thanks!!
Old 04-12-2010, 11:13

I agree with Jenni, I would also consider using a larger ribbon for bigger bows so you get the full look. The last pic looks like you should use a 1.5" ribbon.
Old 04-13-2010, 12:03

Quote:
Originally Posted by mommy2-4 View Post
Definitely starch!! Starch, starch, starch! LOL It makes your life 100 times easier. The larger the bow, the heavier the ribbon, so unless you starch it, it will flop.

Also in my experience the tighter you sew the center the better the ribbon pops up and holds it shape.

ETA: You also might want to try making the X more narrow. The more narrow the X in the middle, the more curvy your bow will be. I put a picture up cause I'm not good at explaining sometimes.

HTH!

how do you make the middle X more narrow????

Old 04-13-2010, 01:11

Won't tissue paper leak it's color when it gets wet? I know that if u wet blue tissue paper u can paint with it
Old 04-13-2010, 01:38

I could be wrong but I think your crease is off. I only see two valleys, isn't it suppose to have three? I'm not the best at these but I think that might be it too.
Old 04-13-2010, 10:08

Quote:
Originally Posted by madejust4you View Post
how do you make the middle X more narrow????
When you fold it, instead of having a 90 degree angle, make sure the middle X is at more of a 45 degree angle. Does that make sense?

Quote:
Originally Posted by myztic View Post
Won't tissue paper leak it's color when it gets wet? I know that if u wet blue tissue paper u can paint with it
I would spray the bow first and then use white tissue paper to hold it in place. It might still get a little damp but won't be soaked like if you sprayed teh starch with the tissue paper already stuffed in the holes.
Sponsored Links
http://www.hipgirlclips.com/store/images/large/portrait-editing-ads-700.jpg