Free Instructions---------Free Instructions----------Free Instructions-----------Free Instructions.
http://www.hipgirlclips.com/store/images/medium/ribbon-korker-hair-bow-clip-instructions-sm.jpg
New Instructions--How to make braided/woven headband instruction
New Instructions--How to make hair bow gift basket
Free Hair Bow Instructions-Snail
Free Hair Bow Instructions--Christmas Tree
http://hipgirlclips.com/forums/xw-instruction-images/bee/bumble%20bee%20sm.jpg

New products--grosgrain ribbon mini bows

http://hipgirlclips.com/forums/xw-instruction-images/rainbow-ribbon-dragonfly-hair-clips-free-tutorial/dragonfly-rainbow.jpg

Go Back   Hip Girl Boutique Free Hair Bow Instructions--Learn how to make hairbows and hair clips, FREE! > Ribbon and Bows > How to make...

How to make... Hairbows, hair clips, bottlecaps, ribbon shirts, flip flop...

Closed Thread

Old 04-12-2010, 03:30

Default Re: AMAZING tutu!

Quote:
Originally Posted by EmileeDesigns View Post
You lost me at curved. Someone buy one, take it apart and report back.
Ha! I seriously thought about it, but that is too much $ for me! lol I sell tutus, but almost $50 for one is a little crazy in my book. Maybe I'll watch her shop and see if any go on sale/clearance!
Old 04-12-2010, 03:37

Quote:
Originally Posted by GingerandHoney View Post
I've been trying to figure this one out for a while. The only thing that I'm pretty sure of that she is...... the same fluff that is on the bottom of the tutu is the same color in the waist band. It looks like she made a regular tutu with the slip knot? waist band (I don't think its a square knot) She is wrapping the opposite color tulle around the top of the elastic (going through the slip knot?) and possibly tying it. Then, she is taking that color underneath and knotting it with the original tutu at the bottom. The only thing I can't figure out is how she is connecting all the pieces at the bottom all the way around.

I really don't see how she can copyright that design...LOL! I've had this same tutu in my head long before I even saw hers. She just beat me to it when it came to figuring it out.
I wonder if to connect all the pieces together at the bottom, she is tying the little strips to the ends of 2 sections at a time and then with the next piece, she ties it to one of the long sections thats already been tied and then adds in one more so it makes a sort of chain? Does any of that make sense?? LOL
Old 04-12-2010, 03:52

I love this tutu also. It is too cute. It seems like the bright color tulle is woven on the elastic and the yellow is looped behind the middle color as for the ruffle. My mom says it seems that she made a ruffle buy sewing tulle squares together and attached a few inches from the bottom of the tutu creating the ruffle and bubble look

Last edited by cheerstarztinymom; 04-12-2010 at 04:00. Reason: Adding to post
Old 04-12-2010, 04:50

Just purchased the pink and brown one... will report back when I get it in.. it was on sale!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by EmileeDesigns View Post
You lost me at curved. Someone buy one, take it apart and report back.

Old 04-12-2010, 04:55

I've seen her shop before. Her stuff is very cute but JEEEEZ those descriptions are super long. They annoy me. I read her bio too, it was like a novel. And a little bit ridiculous if you ask me. Maybe I'm just being a B today.
Old 04-12-2010, 05:41

this whole trademark copyright thing is ridulous, first of all you cannot Copyright an ITEM......if that is the case than the companies that use cute little designs (like Gymboree) would have every snail, dot and pirate copyrighted THEY DO NOT, the NAME Gymboree is TRADEMARKED but not the name or pictures IN the line.

so I did some swagbucking and here is what I found out

"A trademark includes any word, name, symbol, device or combination thereof. The thing to be trademarked must be used in commerce to identify and distinguish the goods or services of the applying party from those of others....
This rather broad definition can lead to some interesting trademarks. An apple a day keeps the doctor away, but you could never trademark an apple(OR A TUTU) if you grew (OR MADE) and sold them. The word is simply too common and does not distinguish your apples from anyone else. If you built a computer, however, and called it Apple, you can get a trademark. Why? The commonly used word is being applied to an area of commerce where it is not commonly used. Further, it clearly distinguishes a particular type of computer from others in the business field...

the issue of whether something can be trademarked is a complex issue. You cannot just walk around trademarking various sounds and such. The Patent and Trademark Office wants to see some practical application in commerce that is known by people. That being said, do not assume that you can't trademark something just because it is not a logo.
"

In other words IF SHE TRADEMARKED HER NAME, you cannot CALL your tutus the MAGIC TUTU as she does

Now on to Copyright

What May be Copyrighted?

Copyright protects "original works of authorship" that are "fixed" in a tangible form of expression. Examples of works in a "fixed" form are: a story written down on paper, a computer program saved on a disk, or a song recorded on tape. Copyrightable works include the following categories:
  1. literary works;
  2. musical works, including any accompanying words
  3. dramatic works, including any accompanying music
  4. pantomimes and choreographic works
  5. pictorial, graphic, and sculptural works
  6. motion pictures and other audiovisual works
  7. sound recordings
  8. architectural works

What is Not Protected by Copyright?

Several categories of material are generally not eligible for federal copyright protection. These include among others:
  • Works that have not been fixed in a tangible form of expression (for example, choreographic works that have not been notated or recorded, or improvisational speeches or performances that have not been written or recorded)
  • Titles, names, short phrases, and slogans; familiar symbols or designs; mere variations of typographic ornamentation, lettering, or coloring; mere listings of ingredients or contents
  • Ideas, procedures, methods, systems, processes, concepts, principles, discoveries, or devices, as distinguished from a description, explanation, or illustration
  • Works consisting entirely of information that is common property and containing no original authorship (for example: standard calendars, height and weight charts, tape measures and rulers, and lists or tables taken from public documents or other common sources)
To that end, I searched both the trademark and the copyright data bases (you can do it for free, just google or swagbuck it) and no where are any of her designs or names found in either place. As stated in the above information, her images and written descriptions of her items are all that are even applicable to the copyright law and only the name of her shoppe can be trademarked. She would be able to copyright her designs INSTRUCTIONS but not the design itself. That would be like saying the person who first made a shirt has the right to never let anyone else make a shirt.......IT IS CRAZY........
Old 04-12-2010, 05:48

SWEET!! I can't wait!!! Hopefully she mails it fast before she figures out what you want it for!! lol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bitoffaithcreations View Post
Just purchased the pink and brown one... will report back when I get it in.. it was on sale!!!
Old 04-12-2010, 06:07

That is a beautiful Tutu, but I would never pay that much.
Old 04-12-2010, 06:16

Is it not just a double layer tutu with the bottoms tied? I did a pink/brown layered tutu (pink on top of brown and slightly shorter than the brown) It looks like the top layer is just tied to the bottom layer and therefore the bottom layer pokes out? I can't explain it the way I am seeing it in my head. I have an extra double layer here at home that hasn't sold at the store yet. I will try it tonight and report back
Old 04-12-2010, 06:30

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThreeBlessingsBowtique View Post
this whole trademark copyright thing is ridulous, first of all you cannot Copyright an ITEM......if that is the case than the companies that use cute little designs (like Gymboree) would have every snail, dot and pirate copyrighted THEY DO NOT, the NAME Gymboree is TRADEMARKED but not the name or pictures IN the line.

so I did some swagbucking and here is what I found out

"A trademark includes any word, name, symbol, device or combination thereof. The thing to be trademarked must be used in commerce to identify and distinguish the goods or services of the applying party from those of others....
This rather broad definition can lead to some interesting trademarks. An apple a day keeps the doctor away, but you could never trademark an apple(OR A TUTU) if you grew (OR MADE) and sold them. The word is simply too common and does not distinguish your apples from anyone else. If you built a computer, however, and called it Apple, you can get a trademark. Why? The commonly used word is being applied to an area of commerce where it is not commonly used. Further, it clearly distinguishes a particular type of computer from others in the business field...

the issue of whether something can be trademarked is a complex issue. You cannot just walk around trademarking various sounds and such. The Patent and Trademark Office wants to see some practical application in commerce that is known by people. That being said, do not assume that you can't trademark something just because it is not a logo.
"

In other words IF SHE TRADEMARKED HER NAME, you cannot CALL your tutus the MAGIC TUTU as she does

Now on to Copyright

What May be Copyrighted?

Copyright protects "original works of authorship" that are "fixed" in a tangible form of expression. Examples of works in a "fixed" form are: a story written down on paper, a computer program saved on a disk, or a song recorded on tape. Copyrightable works include the following categories:
  1. literary works;
  2. musical works, including any accompanying words
  3. dramatic works, including any accompanying music
  4. pantomimes and choreographic works
  5. pictorial, graphic, and sculptural works
  6. motion pictures and other audiovisual works
  7. sound recordings
  8. architectural works

What is Not Protected by Copyright?

Several categories of material are generally not eligible for federal copyright protection. These include among others:
  • Works that have not been fixed in a tangible form of expression (for example, choreographic works that have not been notated or recorded, or improvisational speeches or performances that have not been written or recorded)
  • Titles, names, short phrases, and slogans; familiar symbols or designs; mere variations of typographic ornamentation, lettering, or coloring; mere listings of ingredients or contents
  • Ideas, procedures, methods, systems, processes, concepts, principles, discoveries, or devices, as distinguished from a description, explanation, or illustration
  • Works consisting entirely of information that is common property and containing no original authorship (for example: standard calendars, height and weight charts, tape measures and rulers, and lists or tables taken from public documents or other common sources)
To that end, I searched both the trademark and the copyright data bases (you can do it for free, just google or swagbuck it) and no where are any of her designs or names found in either place. As stated in the above information, her images and written descriptions of her items are all that are even applicable to the copyright law and only the name of her shoppe can be trademarked. She would be able to copyright her designs INSTRUCTIONS but not the design itself. That would be like saying the person who first made a shirt has the right to never let anyone else make a shirt.......IT IS CRAZY........
This CANNOT be true as I hold trademark/copyright to glitter clips. NO ONE can make one otherwise I will sue you for infringement. Don't even think about using the same colors as me because that is infringement too.

is it illegal to claim you have copyright when you don't?
http://www.hipgirlclips.com/store/images/large/portrait-editing-ads-700.jpg
Closed Thread