http://www.hipgirlclips.com/store/images/medium/lined-alligator-clips-with-teeth.jpg
http://www.hipgirlclips.com/store/images/medium/7-8-rainbow-chevron-ribbon.jpg
http://www.hipgirlclips.com/store/images/medium/1-25-satin-DIY-mini-bow-combo-1.jpg
new product--crochet hat

1.5' 7/8' Zebra New Colors

New products--peony new colors

Go Back   Hip Girl Boutique Free Hair Bow Instructions--Learn how to make hairbows and hair clips, FREE! > Ribbon and Bows > How to make...

How to make... Hairbows, hair clips, bottlecaps, ribbon shirts, flip flop...

Old 12-23-2010, 08:14

Default Re: How to make this design cheer bow???

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodkins View Post
I purchased the NBNG cheer bow instructions and they are GREAT, I have made tons of bows for my dd8 and her all star team. The issue I am having is that after a lot of wear, the heat n bond lite is sometimes not holiding the multi layers of ribbon together. It is great for bonding the confetti dot(sequin) fabric to the ribbon, but if I layer 2 grosgrains on top of each other, they end up coming apart after a few wears.

I have noticed in some threads people saying they are using a double sided tape. Can anyone share what type/brand of tape they are using, how to apply it and where to purchase it? Thanks soooo much!!!
This is how I do it. HNB to the fabric onto the ribbon, then I HNB top layer and middle layer - bond for the 15-20 secs per section then FLIP OVER to the ribbon side and iron on that side as well. Then attaching the back layer you will have to iron on the ribbon back side and make sure you are applying pressure and letting the heat penetrate. I haven't use double sided tape for cheer bows. Kate's Crafts is specialty brand double sided tape and I use it for lining headbands and snap clips.

The other option is to use HNB Lite for the fabric to ribbon and try the HNB ultra for the actual layering of the bow but I warn you it will be very very stiff and difficult to crease.
Sponsored Links
Old 12-23-2010, 10:04

I measure out the bows and I do not use heat and bond on the crease so that it isn't so stiff. So, if I do a 3 inch bow with 3 layers, It is 30 inches long. I fold it in half. I use heat and bond ultra for layers of grosgrain but for material I use heat n bond lite. MY problem has been that the heat n bond ultra shows through the grosgrain when there is too much heat.
Old 12-23-2010, 10:33

KSC,
I've been using a combination of HnB or vinyl n glue for various bows I make. I never use glue straight on fabric unless the fabric has been bonded to iron on vinyl first. It seems like a lot of steps, but it's not really, and the E6000 + vinyl combination for any fabrics I use has never come apart, even with a season's worth of wearing. My daughter has two bows from a large bow company who's initials may or may not be PB that you can clearly see the glue underneath the white seqiun, red mystique, and silver mystique fabrics. Not all were dark, see through glue lines, but more like you could see lumpy, squiggly lines of the glue under the fabric. Especially since the mystique catches the light and reflects it, you could really see the lines under the gym lites.
anyway, when I made the tic toc bow, I bonded my fabric to the vinyl, then glued the rotary-cut fabric/vinyl piece to the next layer, be it fabric or ribbon. This (for me only at least!) only applies to fabric layers that are not base layers, that particular layer gets HnB ultra (ironed twice back n front). Sequins always get HnB lite to the ribbon then glued onto the next layer, if any, plain GG gets HnB ultra, for the most part. i usually try to limit sequin layers to HnB lite, but I tried that once with a zebra ribbon with icky results, so you never know.... Just like others on here, I suggest ironing on both sides, esp if you're just using plain ribbon.
Sometimes, stiff bows are what your coaches want, they hold up better during stunts, tumbling, jumps and cheering/dancing than bows that flop. Some are for HS and PW teams that have short seasons, but the rest are allstar teams that have a long competition season, and have to hold up to a lot of abuse and travel.
Get your cheer on!
Old 12-23-2010, 11:47

So to make the waves you cut out the wave from the fabric and then just put the heat n bond on it? So those layers dont have a grosgrain under them?
Old 12-24-2010, 07:22

Leila has already asked me to make a tut, guess I had better get on it!
Old 06-24-2011, 03:42

Hi Shelliegh,
Just wondering if you had a chance to make the tut?

Andrea
Old 06-24-2011, 04:15

Beautiful Design. Thanks for sharing.
Old 01-21-2013, 04:24

Smile Re: How to make this design cheer bow???

This is what I do when I make my cheer bows that are
Hard to crease in the center. I use my iron on the center which will make
The material easy to crease. You have to be careful not to burn yourself because the material gets very hot. Also, you have to crease right away before the material cools because once it cools then it gets too stiff to crease again.

For the confetti dot material I was having problems with the sequins coming off on my iron. Now I use parchment paper over the material before I iron and it works like a charm. I buy mine in the grocery store. Don't confuse it with
Wax paper like I did one time. It did not work. Use parchment paper.
Just a few tricks of the trade.
I am enjoying learning more from this forum.
Oh this is another thing I used the parchment paper for. I took my iPad and found a strike bow design that I liked and enlarged it with my fingers on the screen then I carefully layed my parchment paper over the design and traced it being very careful not to make the image larger or smaller. I then put a piece of cardboard over the design on my parchment paper and traced it then cut it out.
I did several different sizes for my strike patterns. Worked like a charm.
I make cheer bows for our local Patriots Cheer Team. It's a lot of fun.
Old 02-18-2014, 03:01

You should tell us, I would really appreciate it. I have been trying to do this for about 2 months and can't figure it out. Please help...
Old 02-18-2014, 03:02

You should tell us, I would really appreciate it. I have been trying to do this for about 2 months and can't figure it out. Please help...
Sponsored Links
http://www.hipgirlclips.com/affiliate_alt_ads/jewelboxballerina-300.jpg

Tags
cheer, cheer bows, cheerleading, how to make, tick-tock