Pendant Satin Large Star Flowers Acrylic Rhinestone Disney Bottle Caps 2pc Flatback Resin--Ballet Shoes Hairbows & Hair Clips 1pc Hip Girl Hair Bow Clips--Pink Ballet Shoes 1pc 5.5' Camelia Hair Flower--Hot Pink http://www.hipgirlclips.com/store/images/medium/cherry-blossom-ads.jpg 6pc Large Silk Fairy Hair Flowers--Combo

Go Back   Hip Girl Boutique Free Hair Bow Instructions--Learn how to make hairbows and hair clips, FREE! > Ribbon and Bows > How to make...

How to make... Hairbows, hair clips, bottlecaps, ribbon shirts, flip flop...

Old 03-27-2010, 11:13

Default Re: Perfect Rhinestone

the thing to remember about glass stones is they have lead, even the low lead ones, so that is one reason I use the acrylics now. Plus, to get them big enough to look good as centers they are WAY EXPENSIVE
Sponsored Links
Old 03-27-2010, 11:28

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThreeBlessingsBowtique View Post
the thing to remember about glass stones is they have lead, even the low lead ones, so that is one reason I use the acrylics now. Plus, to get them big enough to look good as centers they are WAY EXPENSIVE
STUPID QUESTION I am sure, but how do you know which are which?
Old 03-27-2010, 11:49

No "Swarovski" is the brand, yes Michale's sells them, they are distributed through Jolee's crafts. So usually they are on a Jolee's display. Other companies sell them too, just look for Swarovski crystallized elements on the package.

Or you can buy them at much better prices through Artbeads.com. Swarovski is the best you can buy but if you're looking at cost there are some glass ones that are pretty too.
Old 03-28-2010, 12:12

Quote:
Originally Posted by melham View Post
STUPID QUESTION I am sure, but how do you know which are which?
If it is GLASS, it contains LEAD, the process of making glass uses lead. The whole issue with the CPA is that the lead in the glass cannot be removed by putting it in anything, it has been tested with acids many times stronger than the acids in our body and the lead was still not extracted from the finished product. BUT bc glass has lead it in, it is part of the presence of lead in the glass. That said, you are able to make glass without lead but it is not near as sparkly because the lead is what gives it the refractive quality to look like crystals......ok, sorry so I research a bit too much (teacher in me sorry).......so, that was way off of the question....

The ones that are low lead say low lead such as at rhinestoneguy.com

Swarovski is the company named for the man that invented the machine that cuts the glass into the crystals that are so beautiful.

Crystalized is the TRADEMARK of a company that uses this cutting method.

if you are at all a research geek like I am you can look here and read the story

http://www.swarovski.com/Web_US/en/thestory

and also about the different trademarks
http://www.swarovski.com/Web_US/en/t...origin=landing
Old 03-28-2010, 12:38

Thanks for the interesting facts and links Allison. I'm liking the Rhinestone Guys site a lot. Is the turn around pretty quick from there and do I need a tax id to buy from him or can I just place an order? Thanks.
Old 03-28-2010, 12:50

Quote:
Originally Posted by DelaMay09 View Post
Thanks for the interesting facts and links Allison. I'm liking the Rhinestone Guys site a lot. Is the turn around pretty quick from there and do I need a tax id to buy from him or can I just place an order? Thanks.
Turn around is FAST IF he has it in stock..........he is really nice, you do not need a tax id.......his site tells all the info
Old 03-28-2010, 01:00

Wow certainly didn't mean to piss anyone off.

I was just commenting that there aren't different brands of Swarovskis since swarovski is the actual brand. There are different distributors.

Didn't realize rhinestones could be such a touchy subject.

And by the way I've been creating beaded jewelry with swarovski beads and making rhinestone shirts for years, so I happen to know what I'm talking about also.
Old 03-28-2010, 01:08

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blingmom View Post

I was just commenting that there aren't different brands of Swarovskis since swarovski is the actual brand. There are different distributors.

And by the way I've been creating beaded jewelry with swarovski beads and making rhinestone shirts for years, so I happen to know what I'm talking about also.
Oh, I wasnt ticked off at all, just answering how she knew if they had lead or not......that was all, I am a teacher and love to research so when the whole CPA came out, I researched this to death, that is all, it is WAAAAY hard to tick me off at all, but typing can come off as very cold since there isnt any inflection like there is when talking......
Old 03-28-2010, 01:14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blingmom View Post

WOW.... EEeekkkkkk!!!!!!!!!!! Calm down. I have been reading this post and in no way was anyone being rude to you. I kind of took offense to what you just said and Im not even Allison...

Allison has been sweet for as long as I have been on this forum. Never known her to be rude. And from what I know swavorski is a way of cutting, not a brand. Let me find that info for you and I will post the link.

Please dont take this post the wrong way. Im just hoping you dont get hurt feelings from something meaningless.
Old 03-28-2010, 01:20

Quote:
Originally Posted by DelaMay09 View Post
YEs, I am a research junkie, I research it all, I have friends that call me and ask me to find info for them, research it and summarize for them, they call me the google queen, tell me I come up with stuff they never even found, comes from teaching tech to other teachers for YEARS......now I feed that monster by researching somewhat useless items and know way too much for my own good, much of which I keep to myself.....

politics, genealogy, ADHD, homeschooling, current education trends, forms of government, on and on........just cant stop myself
Sponsored Links