http://www.hipgirlclips.com/store/images/medium/rock-star-ribbon-offray-7-8-satin.jpg   http://www.hipgirlclips.com/store/images/medium/7-8-flower-grosgrain-ribbon.JPG Tested! Snap Clips Shipping Supplies Alligator Clips--Silver E-6000 http://www.hipgirlclips.com/store/images/medium/5-8-hello-kitty-satin-ribbon-orchid.jpg

Go Back   Hip Girl Boutique Free Hair Bow Instructions--Learn how to make hairbows and hair clips, FREE! > Ribbon and Bows > How to make...

How to make... Hairbows, hair clips, bottlecaps, ribbon shirts, flip flop...

Old 03-23-2010, 04:44

Default Tutu best tulle

For those of you in the tutu business, what's your favorite tulle to work with (if there is a difference in any)? Where do you get it? I don't sell tutus as I don't enjoy working with tulle plus it takes me all morning to make just one. I do like to give them out as gifts! I've been using the tulle rolls that you find at hobby lobby for $4.99 or at gift international for about $1.50. It's not that soft.
I see a lot of people selling tutus for $5-$20 and I always ask myself, "how can they possible make money selling at those prices?" That only covers supplies. So, what's the secret? Where do you get the tulle and how long did it take you to get the hang of it and make one in half an hour. It takes me an hour just to cut the tulle, LOL and another one to wrap the ribbon around the waist
Any help will be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Sponsored Links
http://www.hipgirlclips.com/affiliate_alt_ads/jewelboxballerina-300.jpg
Old 03-23-2010, 05:03

Default Re: Tutu best tulle

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeyondStitches View Post
For those of you in the tutu business, what's your favorite tulle to work with (if there is a difference in any)? Where do you get it? I don't sell tutus as I don't enjoy working with tulle plus it takes me all morning to make just one. I do like to give them out as gifts! I've been using the tulle rolls that you find at hobby lobby for $4.99 or at gift international for about $1.50. It's not that soft.
I see a lot of people selling tutus for $5-$20 and I always ask myself, "how can they possible make money selling at those prices?" That only covers supplies. So, what's the secret? Where do you get the tulle and how long did it take you to get the hang of it and make one in half an hour. It takes me an hour just to cut the tulle, LOL and another one to wrap the ribbon around the waist
Any help will be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
I get my tulle from a few different places. I really like Joann's tulle on the 6" spool ($2.99/ea). I use wedding tulle, as I find it is the softest. I also buy from www.tullesource.com ($1.99/ea) and www.favorfrenzy.com ($1.89/ea). I really like the color options and the quality. I personally couldn't sell a tutu for under $15. I use about 3 rolls of tulle per tutu, depending on size & lenght.

It took me only a couple tutus to get them the way I like them. I do them tied on ribbon and elastic ones. Cutting takes me about 10/15 minutes. I use a small paper cutter. The kind you'd use for photos. It's about 10" long and 4" wide w/ a plastic arm that comes down over it and then you press & slide the cutter and it takes about .5 seconds.
Hope that helps!

Ashley (Newbie to HG)
Old 03-23-2010, 05:19

Thank you so much Ashley! I checked those site. They are awesome! They do have a wide variety of colors. Can tutus be made with organza fabric too?
Wow! you are super fast!! I need to try using my paper cutter. I've been using a cutting mat and rotary cutter. Does your tulle gets all static and crumble up? That's my main frustration with it.

Thanks again for your help!!!

Old 03-23-2010, 05:28

You're welcome! Yep, you can use organza! No, I don't get any crumples or static. When I first started them I was buying off the bolt and rolling/folding the tulle up and then cutting 6" sections with scissors (a youtube tut did that), but the cuts were not straight at all! So then I tried with my rotary cutter & mat, and I still wasn't liking it. It also took FOREVER to do. The paper cutter really made it a lot faster, cleaner & STRAIGHT LINES. lol It's more fun for me since I could cut it so fast.

Tying takes about 30 minutes, but I don't do it all at once. I have a 6 1/2 month old who is a huge mama's boy!

GL! When you give it a try I'd love to see pics!
Old 03-23-2010, 05:51

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeyondStitches View Post
Thank you so much Ashley! I checked those site. They are awesome! They do have a wide variety of colors. Can tutus be made with organza fabric too?
Wow! you are super fast!! I need to try using my paper cutter. I've been using a cutting mat and rotary cutter. Does your tulle gets all static and crumble up? That's my main frustration with it.

Thanks again for your help!!!
I have found that the organza frays over time.
Old 03-23-2010, 05:53

The fastest way to cut is the cookie sheet method (or I just use a piece of thick cardboard cut to 1/2 the length that I want the tutu, You wrap the whole roll around the cardboard and then only have to make one cut, nice and even tulle pieces every time.
Old 03-23-2010, 06:30

Thank you ladies for the tips!!!!
I made a tutu before. I'm attaching a photo here. I like the finish products but, like I said before, I do not enjoy working with the tulle.

I'm working on a tiny one for my son's teacher. He and his wife are expecting a girl next month. We are having a baby shower this Friday. I also want to make one for my cousin. She just had a girl last week.

If I ever become super fast at it, I might consider selling them but not for $20. I think that's not enough for our cute tutus. For that price, people can get a cheap one at target or a craft store, :-)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_7675.jpg (29.9 KB, 349 views)

Old 03-23-2010, 07:32

that tutu is adorable!! great job! and thanks to everyone for the great tips!!

Old 03-23-2010, 10:28

Thanks Julia!

Old 03-23-2010, 10:50

I have only made one, and I had static issues. I used 6" spool from TRR. So, what I did was just got my can of Static-guard and sprayed it a little when it got bad. It seemed to be after I was cutting it and laid it aside in a pile. When I make the next one, I want to do the cookie sheet method!! I hope it works better! Thanks for the sites pp - I will check them out since TRR is over $2.00 each.
Sponsored Links