http://www.hipgirlclips.com/store/images/medium/rock-star-ribbon-offray-7-8-satin.jpg   http://www.hipgirlclips.com/store/images/medium/7-8-flower-grosgrain-ribbon.JPG Tested! Snap Clips Shipping Supplies Alligator Clips--Silver E-6000 http://www.hipgirlclips.com/store/images/medium/5-8-hello-kitty-satin-ribbon-orchid.jpg

Go Back   Hip Girl Boutique Free Hair Bow Instructions--Learn how to make hairbows and hair clips, FREE! > Ribbon and Bows > How to make...

How to make... Hairbows, hair clips, bottlecaps, ribbon shirts, flip flop...

View Poll Results: To starch or not to starch - that is the question?!?!?
Yes, I starch all of my bows!! 13 36.11%
No, I do not starch any of my bows!! 7 19.44%
Sometimes - I starch depending on the style of bow!! 13 36.11%
Huh? What are you talking about?? (this was me...lol.) 3 8.33%
Voters: 36. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-19-2010, 04:12

Default S/O: Do you starch bows? If yes, which ones?

I am doing a spin-off of another bow starching thread. I had never thought about starching my bows, but I know that some ladies do. I have a poll - just curious. If you want, give your reasons for your answer. I want to learn!!
Sponsored Links

Old 03-19-2010, 05:06

Default Re: S/O: Do you starch bows? If yes, which ones?

I put NO, I have found that if I get my crease tight (I sew no templates or gator bites or sally clips) they stay gorgeous. I have customers that have had some of my bows for 4-5 yrs and they still look GREAT
Old 03-20-2010, 01:02

I put yes, I know this sounds werid, but I think it is a fun step to do..lol. My boys get a kick out of putting their sisters bows in the oven....
~Janet~ Bow Hobbyist, retired WAHM.... When we move out of the way and give the Lord room to stand in our lives He will glorify Himself in us ~Isaiah 60:13
Old 03-20-2010, 01:11

I starch the twisted boutique and korkers
Old 03-20-2010, 09:57

twisted boutique and korkers. The smaller twisted boutique I don't but bigger ones and when I do the fancy stacked ones I always starch, it keeps the spikes nice and straight.
Old 03-20-2010, 10:51

Quote:
Originally Posted by ordi5103 View Post
I am doing a spin-off of another bow starching thread. I had never thought about starching my bows, but I know that some ladies do. I have a poll - just curious. If you want, give your reasons for your answer. I want to learn!!

I use "stiff and stuff" from Michaels. It works great for korkers. If someone would love to tell how to starch hairbows, that would be great.
Old 03-20-2010, 04:28

I starch all of mine. I just like the feel of them being nice and firm. I use more on the twisted and stacked bows than I do on the basic boutique though.

I only make a bow or two at a time and then just lay them on a towel and spray Faultless starch on them and let them dry.
Old 03-21-2010, 10:03

I have heard some people bake thier bows to hold shape. I tried it the other day and I learned a valueable lesson... don't hot glue anything until after you bake them. I will have to try the starch. That seems cheaper than the stiff and stuff I buy. That stuff cost 7.00 a bottle.

Thanks Rachel
Old 03-21-2010, 06:39

If you starch, do you bake as well?? I decided to try to bake without starching anything. Well, I will NEVER do that (bake) again - except making korkers. I thought I might try it. I did forget about the glue, but it was able to be fixed since it was just the middle centers. BUT!!!!!!, the colors on my ribbons faded onto the other ribbons!!!!!! And, I use Schiff!!!! I couldn't believe it. I was so upset. Anyway, I won't be baking anymore!!!
Old 03-21-2010, 10:40

I use stiff'n stuff, too, although I probably don't need to because I also sew the bows up pretty good and the crease does help the twisted bow hold that nice shape. I spray once, before I attach to the clips and do centers, so that I don't have to reshape too much after I handle them, but I prefer they not feel too stiff.

I'm pretty new to bow-making and I have heard that baking with starch keeps the shape even if they get wet, but my daughter has worn hers for a while now and they still seem pretty nice to me.
Sponsored Links
http://www.hipgirlclips.com/affiliate_alt_ads/jewelboxballerina-300.jpg